All the questions I wanted to ask Dan Duquette were asked in this interview

wildcard

And Dan expresses his disappointment is the performance of some on his players.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/08/14/a-very-candid-convo-with-orioles-gm-dan-duquette/

I am not going to slam Dan while he is down. He has given the the O's three winning seasons after 14 losing seasons before he took the O's GM job. He has been named Executive of the Year. Sometimes things don't go according to plan. They did in 2014 for a long time. This year.... not so much.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-...e-orioles.html

I am not going to slam Dan while he is down. He has given the the O's three winning seasons after 14 losing seasons before he took the O's GM job. He has been named Executive of the Year. Sometimes things don't go according to plan. They did in 2014 for a long time. This year.... not so much.

What interview.

http://baltimore.cbslocal.com/2015/08/14/a-very-candid-convo-with-orioles-gm-dan-duquette/

Ok. Yeah. That's the one we heard before. Thanks.

1. I am of the opinion that he really didnt move early on the FA market because he thought he was in-between jobs. Markakis's agent essentially confirmed that he had little talk with Nick until the end.

2. Bad gamble on Steve Pearce. Everything pointed to a bounce this season, there was really no reason to believe that Pearce would continue his production from last season.

3. Bad gamble on Weiters. I think he believed that Matt would come back much earlier.

4. Bad gamble that Snider could replace Markakis

I just feel he rolled the dice too much in the off-season aside from the fact that he essentially never had any plans to resign Cruz, Markakis, or Miller.

Overall I do think he has done a great job over the years with the Orioles but his smugness is something that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

It will be very interesting to see if they make a play for Davis or Weiters. My guess is they both walk.

Great interview. Thanks. My takeaway from the interview is that there continue to be significant budgetary restrictions that will likely prevent him from signing the Boras clients. He's hamstrung.

Then don't tender contracts to Matusz, Hunter, De Aza and Cabrera, no? That was what...around $13-14m there?

Then don't tender contracts to Matusz, Hunter, De Aza and Cabrera, no? That was what...around $13-14m there?

Who do you replace them with? According to Fangraphs, entering 2015 the O's got almost 20 million in production from Matusz, Hunter and DeAza in (2014). DD paid them roughly 13 million. Dd got them for a steal this year based on what they produced last year. So if you non tender these guys you need to replace the 20 million in production.

I've complained a lot about Dan recently but I'll say one thing about him. He's a straight shooter. I've never heard him BS anyone since he's been here.

This. Completely agree, it is refreshing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. I am of the opinion that he really didnt move early on the FA market because he thought he was in-between jobs. Markakis's agent essentially confirmed that he had little talk with Nick until the end.

2. Bad gamble on Steve Pearce. Everything pointed to a bounce this season, there was really no reason to believe that Pearce would continue his production from last season.

3. Bad gamble on Weiters. I think he believed that Matt would come back much earlier.

4. Bad gamble that Snider could replace Markakis

I just feel he rolled the dice too much in the off-season aside from the fact that he essentially never had any plans to resign Cruz, Markakis, or Miller.

Overall I do think he has done a great job over the years with the Orioles but his smugness is something that has always rubbed me the wrong way.

It will be very interesting to see if they make a play for Davis or Weiters. My guess is they both walk.

1. We don't know if Duquette was told to keep a low profile by ownership while they weighed their options which potentially included allegations of tampering. I would very, very much like to know what the truth is here.

2. It may have turned into a bad gamble, but it was a reasonable gamble at the time given Pearce's production last year and what he was paid for 2015. Would you like to have faced the press to make a complex data driven argument for invalidating Pearce's contribution last year? Do you have a taste for crucifixion?

3. I don't believe there were ever any illusions as to Matt's timetable regardless of what the party line might have been. Most of us here are smart (or obsessed) enough to understand that on some level. Telling Matt "Goodbye, thanks but you're damaged goods" would be another press conference that I wouldn't want to have been the guest of honor at.

4. Another reasonable gamble at the time that didn't work out, but the money was already spent elsewhere.

Duquette didn't "roll the dice" he made a professional attempt to balance budget restrictions with team needs and fan base wishes - as near as we can reasonably determine. It's beginning to look like it didn't work out as well as it could have, but to characterize it as gambling is being unfair to Duquette.

I agree that Wieters and Davis will probably not be with the team next year, but it remains to be seen as to whether or not that's a bad thing for the Orioles' long term prospects. It will be an interesting off season indeed.

Archived