Jump to content

The secret of Zach Britton's unique dominance


xian4

Recommended Posts

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

If it does it will be a salary dump not a trade for an actual prospect.  Could happen after the deadline.

Y

 

16 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Britton needs to pitch back to back every three days, regardless of the score or situation. I  dont see Jones waiving his 10-5. Brach gets you a minor prospect. Ditto on Valencia. Manny is not going anywhere.

I do think Buck has been overworking him.  Even the games he doesn't get in Buck has him warming in the Bullpen.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, atomic said:

Britton makes 12 million this year and has a 7 run ERA.  He is not getting traded. 

Misleading post. If a team trades for him they'll only have to pick up a 1/3 of that salary and they can wash their hands of him at the end of the year. The Orioles might not get a big return for him, but there will certainly still be a market for Britton, regardless of his salary and era. The difference is teams will probably look a him more now as a left handed bullpen arm rather than a shutdown closer. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm usually not the most optimistic guy in the room, but you all are really piling on with the negativity in this thread. Should the Orioles have traded Britton last season? Yes, but they'll still be able to trade him for 50 cents on the dollar if they want to. Do you really think a good team will bat an eye at paying Britton $3M for the rest of the season if they think he can be the shut down left-hander out of the bullpen that they need in the playoffs? I sure don't.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm usually not the most optimistic guy in the room, but you all are really piling on with the negativity in this thread. Should the Orioles have traded Britton last season? Yes, but they'll still be able to trade him for 50 cents on the dollar if they want to. Do you really think a good team will bat an eye at paying Britton $3M for the rest of the season if they think he can be the shut down left-hander out of the bullpen that they need in the playoffs? I sure don't.

Why would they think that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I'm usually not the most optimistic guy in the room, but you all are really piling on with the negativity in this thread. Should the Orioles have traded Britton last season? Yes, but they'll still be able to trade him for 50 cents on the dollar if they want to. Do you really think a good team will bat an eye at paying Britton $3M for the rest of the season if they think he can be the shut down left-hander out of the bullpen that they need in the playoffs? I sure don't.

He looks awful.

Reliever value accumulates and disappears very quickly.  There is no asset more volatile in baseball.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Britton needs to pitch back to back every three days, regardless of the score or situation. I  dont see Jones waiving his 10-5. Brach gets you a minor prospect. Ditto on Valencia. Manny is not going anywhere.

What about hitting Jones with a QO? Get him back for one more year in RF or a draft pick. I'd be OK with either outcome although prefer the draft pick. Even in RF he could be worth 2 WAR.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Why would they think that?

They wouldn't...yet. I think we need to give the guy a little rope. After all, he did just come back from a major injury. Hopefully he can string together a few solid outings increase his trade value. Time will tell...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

What about hitting Jones with a QO? Get him back for one more year in RF or a draft pick. I'd be OK with either outcome although prefer the draft pick. Even in RF he could be worth 2 WAR.

With this team, it probably makes more sense to let him walk. They need to play the kids in the OF next year and see what they can do. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If he can string together a week of strong close opportunities he still has values.  Lots of teams out there with bullpen trouble and most of those are in a race.  Relievers always have value.  Bigger issue is getting him save opportunities.  Still diminished value though...Across the board it seems like all of our reliever trade pieces are doing everything to diminish their trade value.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, MikeAD said:

If he can string together a week of strong close opportunities he still has values.  Lots of teams out there with bullpen trouble and most of those are in a race.  Relievers always have value.  Bigger issue is getting him save opportunities.  Still diminished value though...Across the board it seems like all of our reliever trade pieces are doing everything to diminish their trade value.  

I don't even think they need to be save opportunities. Just "clean" outings in general. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I don't even think they need to be save opportunities. Just "clean" outings in general. 

Yeah I guess, but I'd want to see higher pressure situations over 10-3 garbage duty. Nationals, Cubs, Blue Jays, Giants, STL, everyone needs relievers or has a tendency to stock up.   

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Britton needs to pitch back to back every three days, regardless of the score or situation. I  dont see Jones waiving his 10-5. Brach gets you a minor prospect. Ditto on Valencia. Manny is not going anywhere.

I agree with most of this, but it's hard for me to believe that they don't trade Manny.  The only reason not to trade him is if nobody offers more than the value of a comp pick.  Angelos doesn't like to trade people when there is still a chance the team could make the playoffs, but in the past he has approved fire sales when the team is clearly out of contention.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, birdwatcher55 said:

Britton needs to pitch back to back every three days, regardless of the score or situation. I  dont see Jones waiving his 10-5. Brach gets you a minor prospect. Ditto on Valencia. Manny is not going anywhere.

Agree 1000%. Buck is Peter’s guy and I sincerely do not see Buck agreeing to trade away his best player, regardless of how awful this season has been. All Buck has to say is “if not him, then who” and that will be all Peter needs to hear. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, bpilktree67 said:

Francisco Lirano had an ERA of 6 last year.  The Astros traded for him as a lefty specialist and gave up Teosco Hernandez. So don’t say lefties with stuff don’t have trade value.

Hernandez also had no place on the MLB roster. I could see them getting a blocked prospect for Britton but they're not going to get a multi prospect deal like they could have last year or the year before that. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.


×
×
  • Create New...