Who would you rank above Chen on the list of free agent starters?

Frobby

Who do you think will be more sought after than Chen, off this list:

Brett Anderson

Clay Buchholz *

Mark Buehrle

A.J. Burnett

Bartolo Colon

Johnny Cueto

R.A. Dickey *

Marco Estrada

Doug Fister

Yovani Gallardo

Jaime Garcia

Zack Greinke (opt-out)

J.A. Happ

Tim Hudson

Hisashi Iwakuma

Scott Kazmir

Ian Kennedy

John Lackey

Mat Latos

Mike Leake

Colby Lewis

Tim Lincecum

Kyle Lohse

Mike Pelfrey

David Price

Jeff Samardzija

Alfredo Simon

Jerome Williams

Jordan Zimmerman

* club option

I think the four bolded guys are pretty obvious. I suspect Samardzija probably outranks Chen, too. After that, I don't think it's clear that any else on this list tops Chen.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Gallardo is pretty close to Chen. Little ahead or a little behind depending on who is making the pick. Chen probably gets the edge because he is lefthanded.

I agree that one is close. I think Kazmir is also close, though maybe more risky than those two (but some upside, too).

Fister?

haha this struck me funny with my brain caffeine addled! Connotations......

I agree - Chen is high on most lists but think if we make him a "fair" offer he might choose us - except for his little tiff with Buck. He should be loyal and give us an Ubaldo-like deal....:rofl: :smile11:

I think you have it about right. I would also say there are a bunch of guys that I would put even with him. Anderson, Estrada, Fister, Gallardo, Kazmir, Latos, and Leake all have similar overall resumes.

Note also that Kazmir, Latos, and Leake were traded, meaning they are no longer eligible for QO's. That gives them a market advantage over Chen even if their predicted production is the same.

I would rather have Kazmir plus Chen's comp pick than just Chen. Of course, Price or Cueto would be ideal.

Kazmir

Buehrle

Iwakuma

Samardjia

Lackey

I see no way Lackey is ahead of Chen. He will be 37 in a month so a I don't see a team giving him more then 2 years. The same with Buehrle and even Iwakumar will be 35 next year. All three of those guys will get a 2 or maybe 3 year deal. Chen will be in the four to 5 year range.

I think you have it about right. I would also say there are a bunch of guys that I would put even with him. Anderson, Estrada, Fister, Gallardo, Kazmir, Latos, and Leake all have similar overall resumes.

Note also that Kazmir, Latos, and Leake were traded, meaning they are no longer eligible for QO's. That gives them a market advantage over Chen even if their predicted production is the same.

I would rather have Kazmir plus Chen's comp pick than just Chen. Of course, Price or Cueto would be ideal.

I thought a 65,000$ Cadillac or BMW would be my ideal vehicle.

My wife on the other hand thought a 26,000$ Honda would do just fine. Wanna guess what I was driving?

Something tells me that it will be the same with the O's, maybe Price or Cueto are ideal but we are not really in that market and likely should not be. Think Honda (Kazmir, Fister, Estrada, Latos, Leake, Chen etc)

I think a lot of people on here are really under valueing Chen on this list. I see guys that are in their late 30's listed ahead of him and other guys that have not been that good over the last few years. Brett Anderson for example before this season the previous 4 years he had made 32 starts 196 inning and and ERA of 4.18. He has worse numbers then Chen this season in a light hitting NL West.

Kazmir

Buehrle

Iwakuma

Samardjia

Lackey

I have to say something about Buehrle here. I've always loved the way he pitches, and he is on the verge of his 15th season in a row of throwing 200+ innings. That is really remarkable. He's not going to get 5 minutes of thought for the Hall of Fame, and yet he has 212 wins, a .573 winning percentage, and a 117 ERA+ over a long, durable career. He's really been an underappreciated pitcher over his career. Is there was a Hall of the Very Good, he'd be in it.

I thought a 65,000$ Cadillac or BMW would be my ideal vehicle.

My wife on the other hand thought a 26,000$ Honda would do just fine. Wanna guess what I was driving?

Something tells me that it will be the same with the O's, maybe Price or Cueto are ideal but we are not really in that market and likely should not be. Think Honda (Kazmir, Fister, Estrada, Latos, Leake, Chen etc)

Absolutely, in no way am I predicting the O's would sign either of the "BMW" class. I have followed the O's long enough to realize they are never going to get the top free agents, particularly when pitchers are concerned. The important point is that there are a handful of guys that are as good as Chen but would allow us to keep Chen's comp pick. If I am going to settle for a Honda and the price is the same, I am going to take the one with the fancy GPS and some cash back.

Absolutely, in no way am I predicting the O's would sign either of the "BMW" class. I have followed the O's long enough to realize they are never going to get the top free agents, particularly when pitchers are concerned. The important point is that there are a handful of guys that are as good as Chen but would allow us to keep Chen's comp pick. If I am going to settle for a Honda and the price is the same, I am going to take the one with the fancy GPS and some cash back.

Exactly - never hurts to have a Hader or a Davies to flip for a summer rental when it gets hot and you need a vacay! Comp pick! Comp pick! :smile11:

Archived