It's time for Wally Backman!

BradyBunch

Yes, all my quick research turned up was how that sort of behavior just isn't tolerated anymore by these new soft athletes and a lot of coaches are finding it out the hard way. A bunch of garbage if you ask me. Back in the good ole days you could put cigarettes out on your little league team if they booted grounders and all that would happen is the parent would replace the cigarette. No one would sue you like these millennial sissies.

Yea, my eight year old had his first Little League practice last night and I got some weird looks when I administered a corrective beating after he swung and missed. They'll come around once he starts hitting.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yea, my eight year old had his first Little League practice last night and I got some weird looks when I administered a corrective beating after he swung and missed. They'll come around once he starts hitting.

I have an image of an irate Backman standing over a passive Adam Jones, head down, dejectedly sitting on his hands as he gets dressed down for swinging at a slider low and away for strike three.

Maybe not.

I know you said this tongue in cheek.

The players in those days, played for peanuts and not millions like now a days.

I don't think that has much to do with it. I think it has more to do with a culture that was far more permissive of, or even required, a level of violence and toughness that probably wasn't in any way necessary.

I have an image of an irate Backman standing over a passive Adam Jones, head down, dejectedly sitting on his hands as he gets dressed down for swinging at a slider low and away for strike three.

Maybe not.

If you took John McGraw out of 1915 and put him in charge of a MLB team today the players would assume it's a joke. Nobody really could act that way and expect to be taken seriously.

Quick aside... isn't it strange that Earl was known as a feisty yeller, but every time he came back to Baltimore after he retired he reminded me of a kindly old hobbit?

Earl was as old school as they come.

"A manager should stay as far away as possible from his players. I don't know if I said ten words to Frank Robinson while he played for me."

Archived