The most obscure statistic EVER

Frobby

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He did hit .308 in 1987, and .291 three years later. Which is pretty amazing for a guy who OPS'd .612 for his career, and had five different seasons with 100+ ABs and an OPS under .600.

One of the more amazing seasons in O's history was his 1988, where he qualified for the batting title in a season with a .518 OPS.

But tell me that the defensive metrics qualify him as an amazing defender as I remember him to be. I thought Billy was the best defensive 2nd baseman we had outside of Alomar from the late 80's to early 2000's.

I think Bordick would say that the captain was one of the hardest working captains on the seas, but just ran into a really nasty iceberg that was on its game.

Perfect. What makes my head hurt is when MASN brings up a long list of meaningless statistics on the screen with Bordick in the booth (like "2015 Batting Leaders vs. the Yankees") because I know he's going to read every single one of them aloud.

Every. Single. One.

I just wish the TV guys would STFU every now and then. Their incessant yammering become maddening, especially when they start with the inane statistics, or start going on about non-baseball stuff or reminiscing about some unrelated moment from years past. And I wish that Gary Thorne and Hunter would both STOP calling pitch locations because they are usually wrong. We don't need "details" on every moment....baseball is VISUAL on TV. Unlike listening on radio, we can see what is happening. Just be quiet every now and then and let the game speak for itself!

Rant over.......

It was actually 41 hits for Billy. He had a .350 average that month.

Earlier I guessed that the record for hits in a months was something like 60. That wasn't a bad guess. It appears the record is 68, by Cobb in 1912. And nobody has had 60 in a month since Indian Bob Johnson had 63 in August of '38 (his second-most hits in a month that year was 29). Hornsby had 57 in September of 1922, Sisler had 60 in June of '20 (hit .526 for the month), Ichiro had 56 in August of '04. BB-ref would help here, but only to a point; a lot of 60+ hit months had to have been prior to the current 1913 start date for the retrosheet data. I'd be very interested in the splits for Duffy the year he hit .440 (1894), or Keeler the year he hit .424 (1897).

So the other thing to think about with hits in any period is the fact that a player with very poor plate discipline has a distinct advantage. Babe Ruth had three 200-hit seasons, but never more than 205. He hit .459 in July of 1923 and .442 in August of that same year, but had 51 and 38 hits those months, respectively. Many of the guys who have/had the various hits records rarely walked a lot - Ichiro, Rose, Sisler, Keeler. And Billy Ripken had the combination of Adam Jones' plate discipline and Cesar Izturis' power.

:cussing:

Earlier I guessed that the record for hits in a months was something like 60. That wasn't a bad guess. It appears the record is 68, by Cobb in 1912. And nobody has had 60 in a month since Indian Bob Johnson had 63 in August of '38 (his second-most hits in a month that year was 29). Hornsby had 57 in September of 1922, Sisler had 60 in June of '20 (hit .526 for the month), Ichiro had 56 in August of '04. BB-ref would help here, but only to a point; a lot of 60+ hit months had to have been prior to the current 1913 start date for the retrosheet data. I'd be very interested in the splits for Duffy the year he hit .440 (1894), or Keeler the year he hit .424 (1897).

What's the modern-day Orioles' record? My initial thought was that Roberto Alomar might have set it in 1996 (he was over .400 for several months), but his best month that year was 42. Then I thought of Tejada, who had 43 hits in 2006 when he hit .330 for the year. That tops Billy Ripken's 41, but I have to think someone has had more hits in a month at some point.

So the other thing to think about with hits in any period is the fact that a player with very poor plate discipline has a distinct advantage. Babe Ruth had three 200-hit seasons, but never more than 205. He hit .459 in July of 1923 and .442 in August of that same year, but had 51 and 38 hits those months, respectively. Many of the guys who have/had the various hits records rarely walked a lot - Ichiro, Rose, Sisler, Keeler. And Billy Ripken had the combination of Adam Jones' plate discipline and Cesar Izturis' power.

Good points but did you mean Maicer Izturis? :scratchchinhmm: ;)

What's the modern-day Orioles' record? My initial thought was that Roberto Alomar might have set it in 1996 (he was over .400 for several months), but his best month that year was 42. Then I thought of Tejada, who had 43 hits in 2006 when he hit .330 for the year. That tops Billy Ripken's 41, but I have to think someone has had more hits in a month at some point.

I don't know, lack of bb-ref at work is killing me. The Orioles rarely have high-average hitters. Well over .300 and you're looking at Ken Singleton, Melvin Mora, Alomar, Cal a few years, Tejada in '06... uhh... Rich Coggins that one year? Bumbry? Cal had 53 in September of '83, that may be the record.

What was the hit total for Melmor's June?

Archived