Gausman and Wieters

Bahama O's Fan

I remember last year towards the end of the year, a post about how much better the starters were with Hundley/Joseph. Wieters seemed to have it together the start of last year, but is real shell of himself now. I would like to see him play first for an extended stretch to see if he becomes a better hitter. If they can't resign davis, using a QO for Weiter to get him back to play mostly 1st and backup catch would not be a terrible idea.

No offense, but that sounds like a terrible idea. Weiters coming back to Baltimore for the QO would be about the worst case scenario in regards to Weiters. And why play the guy at 1st? Pointless and expensive...

I'd rather re-sign Pearce to play 1st base for a fraction of the cost.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
No offense, but that sounds like a terrible idea. Weiters coming back to Baltimore for the QO would be about the worst case scenario in regards to Weiters. And why play the guy at 1st? Pointless and expensive...

I'd rather re-sign Pearce to play 1st base for a fraction of the cost.

I'd offer the QO and take the risk that he accepts just to get the pick. A one-year deal for $16M or $17M isn't going to kill you, especially with the salaries coming off the books this winter. Playing him as first more than occasionally is a poor idea. I find it hard to see him as any kind of good defender there, and his bat isn't going to be productive at first.

Like any stat, CERA taken by itself doesn't always give you the complete story. However, when you start to see a trend (like the vast majority of pitchers have a better ERA when throwing to one catcher vs another) it starts to lend more credence to the stat IMHO.

Personally, I've never thought Wieters was a very good game caller nor do I think he's very good at framing pitches. Wieters was always good at throwing out runners and pretty good at blocking pitches (although he's seemed to have regressed a bit as he's gotten older for some reason).

If we're talking defensive value alone, I'd want Joseph behind the plate vs Wieters.

I would be interested to see how many HR's the pitchers have given up this year while pitching with Joseph as compared to Weiters. It's my suspicion that the staff gives up more HR's with Weiters behind the plate.

They are about the same with Wieters holding a very slim edge.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/split.cgi?t=p&team=BAL&year=2015

Like any stat, CERA taken by itself doesn't always give you the complete story. However, when you start to see a trend (like the vast majority of pitchers have a better ERA when throwing to one catcher vs another) it starts to lend more credence to the stat IMHO.

There was a big difference last year and it has held up again this year. CJ brings something. I wonder if/when Matt leaves maybe Buck and the pitchers will give us some theories as to what it is. Of course nobody is going to say anything public about preferring one guy over the other as long as MW is still an Oriole.

CJ is physically able to set a lower target because he physically sits in a lower crouch.

When Wieters catches a ball below the knees he almost always has to turn his glove, thumb pointing down which creates more movement and clues the ump into the fact that the pitch is low

CJ in his lower crouch is able to catch lower pitches holding his glove steady and his thumb up.

I think this is pretty easy to observe, don't need Buck and the pitchers to reveal any secrets

Wieters probably would steal more high strikes, but generally high strikes are hittable.

Tillman's personal catcher at the end of last year was Nick Hundley. He was very good when he caught him last year. Tillman has been bad all year. i am not sure if he is better this year with Wieters or Joseph behind the plate. He did make a comment about a week back that he feels comfortable with Wieters catching.

Tillman is the only starter on the staff who, I would say, has any success pitching up in the zone. Some of Tillman's best outings are when he is throwing the high fastball for strikes and dropping the curveball in to change hitter's eye level. I can see how Tillman might be the one guy who would prefer Wieters. Everyone else has better numbers with Joseph, almost across the board.

Archived