Gausman and Wieters

Bahama O's Fan

I also think that he has more "comfort" with Joseph because in the majors and minors' date=' he has caught more for him.[/quote']

Maybe that's true, but all of these effects are inferred from circumstantial evidence. And the impact of them is exceptionally difficult to tease out of the available information, so it's probably not large.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Joseph provides a lower target than Weiters. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that the pitchers command the bottom of the strike zone better with Joseph behind the plate. Weiters is a tall guy and presents a higher target for the pitchers, and as a result I think they are up in the strike zone more often with Weiters behind the plate, leading to pitchers getting hit a little harder. JMHO

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Joseph provides a lower target than Weiters. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that the pitchers command the bottom of the strike zoone better with Joseph behind the plate. Weiters is a tall guy and presents a higher target for the pitchers, and as a result I think they are up in the strike zone more often with Weiters behind the plate, leading to pitchers getting hit a little harder. JMHO
. Quite honestly I don't see how that would be true at all. There have been plenty of tall catchers - Bob Melvin was 6'5" for example and he handled a pitching staff very well- he had to as he couldn't hit a lick!

. Quite honestly I don't see how that would be true at all. There have been plenty of tall catchers - Bob Melvin was 6'5" for example and he handled a pitching staff very well- he had to as he couldn't hit a lick!

There have been six catchers who were listed at at least 6' 4" who played 1000 or more games: Johnny Edwards, Joe Mauer, Sandy Alomar, Tom Haller, Jack Boyle, and Jody Davis. That's six out of 165 total catchers who played 1000+ games.

There have been six catchers who were listed at at least 6' 4" who played 1000 or more games: Johnny Edwards, Joe Mauer, Sandy Alomar, Tom Haller, Jack Boyle, and Jody Davis. That's six out of 165 total catchers who played 1000+ games.

There you go with those darned math problems again. Ratios and stuff.

. Quite honestly I don't see how that would be true at all. There have been plenty of tall catchers - Bob Melvin was 6'4" for example and he handled a pitching staff very well- he had to as he couldn't hit a lick!

Quoted and highlighted for truth, accuracy, and the American way.

The definition of "for what it's worth" is "I'm going to present this as being meaningful, and it will stick in your head as being meaningful, even if there's no actual evidence that it's anything but coincidence, so I've just subtracted from your body of knowledge about this topic."

Yeah I know it doesn't mean much. But Wieters catcher ERA is 4.84. Joseph is at 3.46. Joseph's dWAR is also much better (Wieters is negative) and that's not even including pitch framing where Joseph is above average and Wieters is one of the worst in the game.

I think the biggest difference between the two is that Joseph provides a lower target than Weiters. Maybe it's just me, but it seems to me that the pitchers command the bottom of the strike zone better with Joseph behind the plate. Weiters is a tall guy and presents a higher target for the pitchers, and as a result I think they are up in the strike zone more often with Weiters behind the plate, leading to pitchers getting hit a little harder. JMHO

It's been written before that Wieters is not great at framing a pitch. The team has known this for years. Why can't they coach him, teach how to do it better? Is he that much of a poor student of the game that he can't learn that skill?

Joseph is much better defensively and even better offensively that Wieters. I wish Wieters would go on a hitting tear the rest of the year, so it would be easy to extend a QO. I understand if the O's don't want to risk it. $16 mill is too much to spend on a catcher who has negative defensive value and who's bat has taken a step back.

Wieters vs. Joseph comparison:

DWAR CERA CS% Errors FP%

Wieters -0.2 4.74 0.273 3 0.997

Joseph 1.3 3.46 0.320 2 0.991

I know that CERA isn't considered an accurate stat, but the results for pitchers have been night & day between Wieters & Joseph. I think the O's would be headed to a playoff berth w/ an ERA of 3.46. It seems the O's pitching has went downhill ever since Wieters came back. I think not having a #1 catcher might have had some effect too.

Joseph is much better defensively and even better offensively that Wieters. I wish Wieters would go on a hitting tear the rest of the year, so it would be easy to extend a QO. I understand if the O's don't want to risk it. $16 mill is too much to spend on a catcher who has negative defensive value and who's bat has taken a step back.

Wieters vs. Joseph comparison:

DWAR CERA CS% Errors FP%

Wieters -0.2 4.74 0.273 3 0.997

Joseph 1.3 3.46 0.320 2 0.991

I know that CERA isn't considered an accurate stat, but the results for pitchers have been night & day between Wieters & Joseph. I think the O's would be headed to a playoff berth w/ an ERA of 3.46. It seems the O's pitching has went downhill ever since Wieters came back. I think not having a #1 catcher might have had some effect too.

So you are saying Buck doesn't know how to properly evaluate a catchers performance? Because that is my take away from all of the Wieters bashing.

Archived