A potential storm brewing?

Babypowder

I was really kidding, but why would you possibly think that? At first glance the idea seems ludicrous. The Orioles have a long history, a very well established fanbase, and a wonderful stadium. That should put the O's well ahead of similarly-sized relocation candidate cities like Portland or Austin or Sacramento or whatever. There's been one franchise move since I was six months old, and that was a concerted effort to get out of a city where MLB was unable to extort a free new stadium. Even if there was some kind of completely unexpected MLB-wide revenue collapse I'd think there would be quite a few teams ahead of Baltimore on the contraction list.

Me too. Sorry,I went back to work and forgot the smiley face.They still talk about getting rid of some of the Florida teams. Cleveland might become a problem.

Lerner will buy both the Nationals and Orioles and split the money between himself back and forth. Might even have an argument on how to distribute the funds. May have to go to court.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The people fighting it have zero shot IMO. It will happen.

Just when I thought the height of craziness was publicly funded stadiums at almost no cost to a group of billionaires, the Braves come along and get a new publicly-funded stadium when they already have a perfectly good one.We now have disposable $750M stadiums!

Just when I thought the height of craziness was publicly funded stadiums at almost no cost to a group of billionaires, the Braves come along and get a new publicly-funded stadium when they already have a perfectly good one.We now have disposable $750M stadiums!

I thought vatech1994 said certain people do not like where the stadium is.

Exactly, since Cruz is like a 10-win player the starters would obviously have pitched way better knowing that they were at least going to get the 6 runs of support every night that Cruz would drive in himself. You add the 5 extra wins that they would get because Nick Markakis was an obvious leader and essential cog in the clubhouse all the years he was here and you're really cooking with Wesson. Not to mention that he is totally a very very good player who is worth every penny of the deal he got.

All they had to do was move Norris for salary relief, never sign Young, never trade for Snider, never tender De Aza, Matusz, Hunter, and Pearce and they would have been able to retain them.... for the first year of their deals.

It was so obvious in the offseason.

A beautiful post, friend.

Me too. Sorry,I went back to work and forgot the smiley face.They still talk about getting rid of some of the Florida teams. Cleveland might become a problem.

Lerner will buy both the Nationals and Orioles and split the money between himself back and forth. Might even have an argument on how to distribute the funds. May have to go to court.

Ohh... I never thought about re-instating syndicate baseball. It's the 1890s all over again. Buy two teams, then transfer all the good players to the city with the better revenue potentials. That's already led to the death of one Orioles team (NL Orioles in 1898-99, most of their mid-career HOFers were traded to Brooklyn for a couple utility infielders, then the whole team was contracted). Bud and Loria and Pohlad and others already have some history of lending each other money and doing under-the-table financial stuff, so maybe that's not so far fetched. Who were the other syndicate teams... Pittsburg owned Louisville, St. Louis created the 1899 Cleveland Spiders by taking all their players, I think Washington may have been in some kind of deal with someone that resulted in their contraction, too.

Wasn't until July that the last legal hurdle on funding was cleared.

Not true. They got county funding in Sept 2014 for the stadium. The bridge over 285 was in question.

County is paying for half of the stadium costs. Braves are gonna drop about $1.1b in on the whole project. Well Liberty Media.

Archived