Would you fire Duquette?

LookitsPuck

Would you fire Duquette?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Would you fire Duquette?

• Yes
    • No

Ben got fired for doing WAY too much. And spending WAY too much. Way too much and way too poorly.

No doubt, it is a GOOD thing that the Orioles did not sign Hanley Ramirez nor Pablo Sandoval. Doesn't mean the Orioles had a good off season either. They need to identify the right players to invest in. Not easy, but that's the GMs job.

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who drafted Wieters?

Wieters was drafted a few weeks before Flanny was fired and MacPhail took over. Wieters was signed while MacPhail was in charge, but IIRC it was PA who got the deal done with Boras literally in the last five minutes.

Because the GM didn't do anything to make the team better. He arguably made them worse. He's done nothing to supplant organization depth in a meaningful way. He has put barriers to success for our top prospects. He has implemented policies to eliminate strength pitches (cutter) from our prospects (see: Bundy, see: Tillman, see: Arrieta).

If Buck's given a starting rotation that has completely blown up...that's not his fault. Norris, Tillman and Gonzalez have destroyed this team this year. Not having a properly developed Gausman put the final nail in the coffin.

What would you have had him do in the offseason?

Given the budget and the team how was the right move not bring back your six starters?

Yes I could have tried to trade Norris (We have no idea if Dan did), but I wouldn't have non-tendered him or given him away as a salary dump.

Would you?

The rotation, which with the same folks that were solid last season, fell apart.

I don't see a realistic way Dan could have fixed this last offseason.

Now the stuff about long term issues with player development are another matter entirely.

The scouting director.
Anyone who picked before the Orioles. He fell in to our laps. And almost did not sign. In fact, Andy wanted to walk away at 11:44.

Both correct.

MacPhail was actually willing to let Wieters go and pick again the following year, but thankfully Peter Angelos got involved literally at the 11th hour as Orioles? scouting director Joe Jordan described:

"They got the deal done," said an elated Orioles scouting director Joe Jordan. "You can tell the city of Baltimore that the old evil owner stepped up and took care of things tonight. We had to fight to the end."

http://eutawstreetreport.com/counterpoint-macphail-really-was-macfail/

Blow the entire team up, starting with DD. What he did to this team, starting in the farm system and lasting into last off season, was a travesty. He has FAILED to restock the farm system. He has failed the entire organization with his bid to be the Pres of the Blue Jays. And he FAILED FAILED FAILED when he did not go for it this past off season and instead played Mr Cheapie (and yes a lot of that was on PA).

If anyone has faith in this guy to retool this winter, when losing guys like Davis, Chen, and others is all but a certainty, after his pathetic attempt last off season? I don't know what to tell you. Get ready for some bad BAD baseball the next few years.

Ben got fired for doing WAY too much. And spending WAY too much. Way too much and way too poorly.

The "way too poorly" is the key. He spent no more than his owner approved him to spend. GMs are judged not on how much they spend, but how the choices they make turn out. If the Red Sox were in first place, the money would be well spent and Cherington would still be in Boston. Similarly, of course, DD has less budget to spend, BUT he will still be judged on how he spends it, how his draft picks turn out, how the farm system goes, etc.

The "way too poorly" is the key. He spent no more than his owner approved him to spend. GMs are judged not on how much they spend, but how the choices they make turn out. If the Red Sox were in first place, the money would be well spent and Cherington would still be in Boston. Similarly, of course, DD has less budget to spend, BUT he will still be judged on how he spends it, how his draft picks turn out, how the farm system goes, etc.

I agree. Dan should be criticized for losing the 9 million dollars (that Wildcard distilled) on ineffective moves this off season.

Both correct.

MacPhail was actually willing to let Wieters go and pick again the following year, but thankfully Peter Angelos got involved literally at the 11th hour as Orioles? scouting director Joe Jordan described:

"They got the deal done," said an elated Orioles scouting director Joe Jordan. "You can tell the city of Baltimore that the old evil owner stepped up and took care of things tonight. We had to fight to the end."

Would they have picked Posey the following year? He has been much better than Matt. Maybe Andy would have been proven right.

Would there be any point to firing him? To be a GM under Angelos you have to be really desperate. Someone willing to forgo any and all self respect just to tote the company line. Any GM worth his salt would just give us the finger like last time.

At least DD has proven to be very valuable in this regard. A true 'yes man'.

What would you have had him do in the offseason?

Given the budget and the team how was the right move not bring back your six starters?

Yes I could have tried to trade Norris (We have no idea if Dan did), but I wouldn't have non-tendered him or given him away as a salary dump.

Would you?

The rotation, which with the same folks that were solid last season, fell apart.

I don't see a realistic way Dan could have fixed this last offseason.

Now the stuff about long term issues with player development are another matter entirely.

Here's something really simple to me. If you're 100% confident in De Aza, don't offer him ~$5m in arbitration and then ditch him after 1-2 months. Don't start the season with a million outfielders on your roster if you're confident in your OF. I think it speaks tremendously volume that Travis Snider was the priced offseason acquisition this year. At that point, bring Cruz back. Duquette went into this season with 3 huge vacancies (LF, RF and DH). And he tried patching it together with over a half dozen players. That to me says everything about Duquette.

I'm fine trying a myriad of players for 1 spot. I'm not fine doing the same for 3. Potentially 4-5 considering the issues we had at 2B prior to Schoop turning into a star this year (he had a 66 OPS+ last year...).

He's DFA'd pretty much an entire lineup worth of players. He's sold low on a bunch of others.

Can we call a spade a spade? MacPhail had warts, but he's been lynched in favour of Duquette. Now we're seeing severe warts by Duquette...and he's getting a lot of leeway and instead blame is largely being placed on Angelos.

The assertion that that MacPhail's "been lynched in favor of Duquette" make no sense. MacPhail turned down PA's offer to return and DD was hired after a long and painful search process. There is no linkage. MacPhail's warts included 4 1/2 seasons where the team never won as many as 70 games. There's a spade for you.

You're pining for this guy? Seriously?

Here's something really simple to me. If you're 100% confident in De Aza, don't offer him ~$5m in arbitration and then ditch him after 1-2 months. Don't start the season with a million outfielders on your roster if you're confident in your OF. I think it speaks tremendously volume that Travis Snider was the priced offseason acquisition this year. At that point, bring Cruz back. Duquette went into this season with 3 huge vacancies (LF, RF and DH). And he tried patching it together with over a half dozen players. That to me says everything about Duquette.

I'm fine trying a myriad of players for 1 spot. I'm not fine doing the same for 3. Potentially 4-5 considering the issues we had at 2B prior to Schoop turning into a star this year (he had a 66 OPS+ last year...).

He's DFA'd pretty much an entire lineup worth of players. He's sold low on a bunch of others.

Like Wildcard detailed, he misused about nine million dollars.

Both correct.

Ah, yes. Joe Jordan. What a fantastic job he did from 2004 to 2011. :rolleyes:

But it's been the pitching that did them in.

No one was talking about revamping the rotation over the offseason.

Archived