FanFest December 12

eddie83

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Much earlier than normal! I'm not usually one of the conspiracy theorists... Why so early? Most years we haven't signed a single FA. It's likely that any of our potential FAs won't be signed (away) yet either. None of their "replacements" won't be signed here yet either.

This is win-win for DD. No complaints either for who we lost or the trash he might bring in.

Besides, on Dec. 12th, the beginning of the height of the FA season, just after the winter meetings couldn't Dan's time be MUCH better spent than wasting a whole day at Fanfest? I smell shenanigans.

Much earlier than normal! I'm not usually one of the conspiracy theorists. .. Why so early? Most years we haven't signed a single FA. It's likely that any of our potential FAs won't be signed (away) yet either. None of their "replacements" won't be signed here yet either.

This is win-win for DD. No complaints either for who we lost or the trash he might bring in.

Besides, on Dec. 12th, the beginning of the height of the FA season, just after the winter meetings couldn't Dan's time be MUCH better spent than wasting a whole day at Fanfest? I smell shenanigans.

Perhaps it is due to the sub-standard season that the Orioles have had in 2015.

I would presume that the organization would be anxious to offer a proverbial goodie (such as Fan Fest) sooner rather than later, to try to keep their interest/attention in the Orioles

If, for example, the Orioles were on their way to another 96-win season, the need for promotion(s) of the team would not be as great ...... the 96 win-season would speak for itself, and go a long way toward keeping the fans' interest piqued.

I would presume that the organization would be anxious to offer a proverbial goodie (such as Fan Fest) sooner rather than later, to try to keep their interest/attention in the Orioles

If, for example, the Orioles were on their way to another 96-win season, the need for promotion(s) of the team would not be as great ...... the 96 win-season would speak for itself, and go a long way toward keeping the fans' interest piqued.

That may be true but one of the big draws of Fanfest is to hear from any of the new Orioles. On Dec. 12 there won't be any new ones yet.

Much earlier than normal! I'm not usually one of the conspiracy theorists. .. Why so early? Most years we haven't signed a single FA. It's likely that any of our potential FAs won't be signed (away) yet either. None of their "replacements" won't be signed here yet either.

Except that we had seasons a lot worse than this one from 1998-2011, and Fanfest was in January.

Thanks. I did not know that (about Fanfest.)

However, there is still a significant difference between then and now that could be part of the reasoning.

From 1998-2011, the Orioles were mired in losing season after losing season, and it lasted well over a decade (14 years.)

Hence, by around 2003 or 2004 onward (through 2011), trying to move Fan Fest up to December would be tantamount to rearranging the chairs on the Titanic. It would serve no purpose.

Now, the Orioles are having a bad season, but they are coming off of 3 consecutive winning seasons just prior to that, 2 of which they won more than 90 games in. So it's not like the current Oriole fans are in a state of mind of helplessness and/or resigned to yet another losing season, like they were every year from about 2003 or 2004 through 2011.

My theory may have no basis in reality in terms of why they are holding Fanfest so early in this coming off-season as opposed to past ones, but I do believe that the times now (and the general psyche of Orioles fans) are different than the times were back then.

But honestly... who is READY for Fan Fest on Dec 12?

Yeah, I know we are all huge baseball fans. But right in the middle of the Christmas season, football still going on... it's a very busy time.

Usually Fan Fest is late January and by then, we are DYING for some more baseball.

The World Series will go into November this year... Fan Fest may well be just 38 days after the end of the World Series, and a solid 70 days before spring training and 121 days before Opening Day.

Conspiracy theories aside, that is just a ridiculous time to have Fan Fest. People are busy, and not yet Jonesing for more baseball. And as others have pointed out, it's a pretty busy time for the GM.

This is a fail, IMO.

But honestly... who is READY for Fan Fest on Dec 12?

Yeah, I know we are all huge baseball fans. But right in the middle of the Christmas season, football still going on... it's a very busy time.

Usually Fan Fest is late January and by then, we are DYING for some more baseball.

The World Series will go into November this year... Fan Fest may well be just 38 days after the end of the World Series, and a solid 70 days before spring training and 121 days before Opening Day.

Conspiracy theories aside, that is just a ridiculous time to have Fan Fest. People are busy, and not yet Jonesing for more baseball. And as others have pointed out, it's a pretty busy time for the GM.

This is a fail, IMO.

That's a good point.

I really don't know what they are/were thinking, then.

I wonder if there was a scheduling conflict at the Convention Center. The move to December 12 puts it on the weekend of NFL game #14. Hopefully the Ravens will still be in playoff contention and as such that is what the will be the focus of the majority of fans in the area.

If they would at least sell tickets at Fanfest like they had done before this season, it would be a big seller for people shopping for Christmas or Hanukkah gifts. Personally, I would rather they go back to two days at Camden Yards as they had done in the 90s.

Hopefully one of the beat reporters will actually think to ask about why the event has been moved up to December. I'm sure they will get some BS answer. I have to agree that this stinks from a fan standpoint.

Interestingly, the baseball winter meetings take place on December 6-10. Presumably some big signings will have occurred by the end of the meetings, by teams other than the Orioles. Maybe even some of the outgoing Oriole free agents will have been signed up by other teams and not yet replaced as our front office percolates things. That should make for a lively fan discussion with management at Fanfest.

o

More wishful thinking on my part ......

I'm hoping that the scheduled Orioles Fanfest for December (one month early) is a sign that Duquette pretty much has Davis in the bag, and that the Orioles want to thrill their fans with the announcement.

I don't even know if the Orioles have a policy for or against doing that (announcing signings of players at Fanfest), but it crossed my mind.

Archived