The Brewers have just told Garza not to bother coming back from Paternity leave. This follows him refusing to pitch out of the pen after being bumped from the rotation.

Both have two years remaining on 4/50 contracts.

Both will be entering their age 32 seasons.

Would you trade one bad contract for another?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garzama01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jimenub01.shtml

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Brewers have just told Garza not to bother coming back from Paternity leave. This follows him refusing to pitch out of the pen after being bumped from the rotation.

Both have two years remaining on 4/50 contracts.

Both will be entering their age 32 seasons.

Would you trade one bad contract for another?

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/g/garzama01.shtml

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/j/jimenub01.shtml

Personally, no. Going by ERA+, Garza is having the FAR worse year this season. Combine that with my own non-expert opinion of their potential moving forward and I think there is a lot more remaining value (or lack of negative value, however you wish to look at it) with Ubaldo relative to Garza.

2015 WAR:

Jimenez 1.6 rWAR; 2.3 fWAR

Garza -1.6 rWAR; 0.6 fWAR

Personally, no. Going by ERA+, Garza is having the FAR worse year this season. Combine that with my own non-expert opinion of their potential moving forward and I think there is a lot more remaining value (or lack of negative value, however you wish to look at it) with Ubaldo relative to Garza.

2015 WAR:

Jimenez 1.6 rWAR; 2.3 fWAR

Garza -1.6 rWAR; 0.6 fWAR

Ubaldo is having the better year this year, but Garza had the better year in 2014 and the overall career numbers are pretty close.

It is also hard to be excited by what Ubaldo has done in the second half (6.58 ERA, 1.93 K/BB, 1.523 WHIP, despite nearly identical BABIP).

Ubaldo is having the better year this year, but Garza had the better year in 2014 and the overall career numbers are pretty close.

It is also hard to be excited by what Ubaldo has done in the second half (6.58 ERA, 1.93 K/BB, 1.523 WHIP, despite nearly identical BABIP).

That wasn't really supposed to be some ringing endorsement of Ubaldo being awesome overall, moreso just who I would want to hitch my wagon to for the next two years given the choice. I think the body of work in 2014 is less relevant than 2015. Just my opinion. Obviously Ubaldo in the second half has not been good, but it's not as though Garza has been much better, if at all really, you could say he's been worse (5.80 ERA, 1.50 K/BB, 1.611 WHIP), and that's with a far worse first half to boot.

Again, this post isn't so much propping up Ubaldo as it is saying that Garza seems like a worse option moving forward at this point in time right now.

Don't understand the piling on of Ubaldo.

Ubaldo is our #2 behind Chen who is leaving.

How about trading Tillman for Garza, Tillman has been horrible year and will command in arbitration nearly what Ubaldo is getting paid

and no I wouldn't trade anyone for Garza.

Do you really think Tillman's salary will triple next season?

Ubaldo has been much better than Tillman this season, but there is a big difference between what he'll get paid in years 2 and 3 of Arb and what Ubaldo/Garza will get the next two years. Hence the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Do you really think Tillman's salary will triple next season?

Ubaldo has been much better than Tillman this season, but there is a big difference between what he'll get paid in years 2 and 3 of Arb and what Ubaldo/Garza will get the next two years. Hence the comparison.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like the idea of trading Tillman and/or Britton if we can get back some promising young bats. Buy a couple of arms this off season. Plenty of SP out there as good or better than Tillman and Chen.

No way would I want Garza for Jimenez.

Garza was upset that he got removed from the rotation two weeks ago despite having an absolutely miserable season on the mound and blamed part of it on Doug Melvin being the outgoing GM for the Brewers. When Jimenez lost his rotation slot last year, he blamed only himself, kept his spirits up in the bullpen, and worked hard to get his job back.

Plus Garza was the same guy who told Eric Sogard's wife, when she tweeted support of her husband executing a successful squeeze bunt (which happened against Garza), "It's a man's game so keep your trap shut." Classy.

Archived