How to handle Matt Wieters Qualifying Offer

wildcard

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If it was a no brainer there wouldn't be so much discussion about it.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I'd be stunned if we made him a QO...

...because he'll probably TAKE IT! He gets 15.8 million dollars to have a better year than last year and increase his FA stock dramatically. If anything, it's a no brainer for Weiters if the qualifying offer is made.

I'd be stunned if we made him a QO...

...because he'll probably TAKE IT! He gets 15.8 million dollars to have a better year than last year and increase his FA stock dramatically. If anything, it's a no brainer for Weiters if the qualifying offer is made.

Think of it this way - He WILL probably get a 3/35 or 4/40 offer - or better. If you're him, wouldn't you rather have 35 or 40 mil guaranteed over 15.8 guaranteed - considering he's an injury-prone catcher?

I won't say it's an automatic one way or t'other, but it is more likely that he turns down the QO, imo.

Think of it this way - He WILL probably get a 3/35 or 4/40 offer - or better. If you're him, wouldn't you rather have 35 or 40 mil guaranteed over 15.8 guaranteed - considering he's an injury-prone catcher?

I won't say it's an automatic one way or t'other, but it is more likely that he turns down the QO, imo.

I'm not a hoodlum. But I am a hustler. I've had to be for a very simple reason - my old man. You see, sir, my mother was killed in an accident about 3 years ago. Well, after that, it might as well have gotten the old man too, because he took himself right out of the lineup. He quit cold. He lost the drugstore that he owned, he lost the house, and then finally what few little jobs he's had since. You know, maybe I could've liked school, Mr. Evans. But every time I wanted to play ball, I had to go to work. Somebody had to. Anyway, now I'm through. I'm through.

I'm quitting you Charlie. I got a better offer from Maxie Fields.

You offer him a QO. And he'll reject.

Let's be realistic here.

He finished the season with a 100 OPS+. He's a switch hitter. He's a solid defender. He has pedigree. He's rehabbed with us and only played half a season's worth of games, but he'll have an offseason of training....and someone will give him 4/$48-$60 because of all of the above.

Let's get the pick and move on.

You offer him a QO. And he'll reject.

Let's be realistic here.

He finished the season with a 100 OPS+. He's a switch hitter. He's a solid defender. He has pedigree. He's rehabbed with us and only played half a season's worth of games, but he'll have an offseason of training....and someone will give him 4/$48-$60 because of all of the above.

Let's get the pick and move on.

Boras isn't stupid though.

Archived