Should O's sign Nori Aoki? (Giants decline option)

mdbdotcom

The Giants declined Nori Aoki's $5.5 million option for next season, so he's now a free agent.

Pluses

- Left-handed hitter

- Career .353 OBP over four seasons

- Only 169 strikeouts in 2,203 plate appearances

Minuses

- Will be in age 34 season

- Missed time due to concussions in 2015

- Average to below average right-fielder

- Minimal power

A lot of people here were in favor of signing him last off-season. I was not. But, now I would prefer him to Parra, for sure.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Giants declined Nori Aoki's $5.5 million option for next season, so he's now a free agent.

Pluses

- Left-handed hitter

- Career .353 OBP over four seasons

- Only 169 strikeouts in 2,203 plate appearances

Minuses

- Will be in age 34 season

- Missed time due to concussions in 2015

- Average to below average right-fielder

- Minimal power

A lot of people here were in favor of signing him last off-season. I was not. But, now I would prefer him to Parra, for sure.

I'd prefer Parra. But if it is one year for less than the $4.7 million that he could have been retained for by the three time World Champion Giants? Sure then. I just don't care for him. But I'll cheer for him. For a year.

Sign of the O'pocalypse?

Yeah ...I'm just not for middling additions anymore. They are just a waste of resources. Save the money and when you can use it on a guy that worthwhile go and get him. They might as well just stick with Pearce or Reimold. At very least those guys are cheap for similar production. Besides the pitching heavily relies on good defense Aoki is not that.

Marlon Byrd interests me more.

Neither interests me. However, you prefer the 38 year old coming off of a worse year than the 34 year old coming off the better season? That doesn't make much sense to me.

I would guess your reasoning is something along the lines of "home runs".

If the plan is to resign Davis ....then give me Dexter Fowler and Howie Kendrick.

Move Manny to short, Schoop to 3B , and Kendrick at 2B. I'm fine with Kazmir and a middling SP addition. Also Reimold at the other OF slot.

If they aren't resigning Davis

Give me Heyward, and Kendrick. Keep Chen and a middling SP.

Move Schoop to 1B , Kendrick at 2B, Heyward and Reimold and hope JJs wheels don't fall off this year.

Try to give ODay 4/22 and hope you can keep him.

If the plan is to resign Davis ....then give me Dexter Fowler and Howie Kendrick.

Move Manny to short, Schoop to 3B , and Kendrick at 2B. I'm fine with Kazmir and a middling SP addition. Also Reimold at the other OF slot.

If they aren't resigning Davis

Give me Heyward, and Kendrick. Keep Chen and a middling SP.

Move Schoop to 1B , Kendrick at 2B, Heyward and Reimold and hope JJs wheels don't fall off this year.

Try to give ODay 4/22 and hope you can keep him.

Then what do they do with Hardy?

He's my extra fielder/DH if he can't be dealt ....in the 2nd scenario I'm keeping him at SS. For me the second scenario is more realistic as I don't see Davis returning.

Not really a fan of minimizing one of Schoop's biggest assets, his arm, by moving him to 1B. Is much rather have Kendrick in LF in that second scenario.

I'd be interested in picking up Aoki if he comes in at $3M or less.

Also, didn't you say in the O'Day thread, that we should keep our 1st rounder and grab our comp picks? Your two plans here does the opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really a fan of minimizing one of Schoop's biggest assets, his arm, by moving him to 1B. Is much rather have Kendrick in LF in that second scenario.

I'd be interested in picking up Aoki if he comes in at $3M or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schoop's bat won't play at first either. His offensive value is tied to playing an important defensive position.

Archived