O's have Three draft picks in the top 26

mdbdotcom

Based on the Oriole track record of 1st round draft choices not in the top 10 of all picks in each year, the Prioles would be lucky to get one out of four into the majors by 2021 and have that player be a solid major leaguer. In the last 25 years only 2 Orioles drafted in the 1st round but after #10 have had career WAR Over10 for the Orioles. Mussina and BRob

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know the answer to my question? Do we get three picks in a row, or one, followed by one each the teams drafting behind us that lose a QO FA, then our second, then those other teams' second (if any), then our third. With 20 QO FAs, this could end up being quite a difference.

Should be three in a row. Why wouldn't it be?

Based on the Oriole track record of 1st round draft choices not in the top 10 of all picks in each year, the Prioles would be lucky to get one out of four into the majors by 2021 and have that player be a solid major leaguer. In the last 25 years only 2 Orioles drafted in the 1st round but after #10 have had career WAR Over10 for the Orioles. Mussina and BRob

You will pay for all the WAR you get from a FA. You only get some excess WAR from an average MLr. Like Jason Werth. Or Even Jake Arrieta. Or Kevin Gausman. Or Caleb Joseph. Or Jerry Hairston Jr. Or David Hernandez.

I'm sorry, but is this answer a "yes," or an "I think so." I'm asking if anyone knows.

In a row. Like the Yankees and Red Sox in 2014

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/events/draft/y2014/order.jsp

Draft Order

First Round

1. Houston Astros

2. Miami Marlins

3. Chicago White Sox

4. Chicago Cubs

5. Minnesota Twins

6. Seattle Mariners

7. Philadelphia Phillies

8. Colorado Rockies

9. Toronto Blue Jays

10. New York Mets

11. Toronto Blue Jays (P. Bickford - unsigned)

12. Milwaukee Brewers

13. San Diego Padres

14. San Francisco Giants

15. Los Angeles Angels

16. Arizona Diamondbacks

17. Kansas City Royals

18. Washington Nationals

19. Cincinnati Reds

20. Tampa Bay Rays

21. Cleveland Indians

22. Los Angeles Dodgers

23. Detroit Tigers

24. Pittsburgh Pirates

25. Oakland Athletics

26. Boston Red Sox

27. St. Louis Cardinals

Team will receive pick if the free agent in parentheses signs with another team. The signing team forfeits its first-round pick, unless it has one of the first 10 picks in the first round, in which case, it forfeits its second pick. If a team signs multiple free agents who were extended qualifying offers, it keeps relinquishing its next-highest Draft pick.

Seattle Mariners (K. Morales)

New York Yankees (R. Cano)5

New York Yankees (C. Granderson)4

New York Yankees (H. Kuroda)3

28. Kansas City Royals (E. Santana)11

29. Cincinnati Reds (S. Choo)8

30. Texas Rangers (N. Cruz)10

31. Cleveland Indians (U. Jimenez)9

32. Atlanta Braves (B. McCann)1

33. Boston Red Sox (Ellsbury)2

Boston Red Sox (M. Napoli)6

Boston Red Sox (Drew)12

34. St. Louis Cardinals (C. Beltran)7

I'm sorry, but is this answer a "yes," or an "I think so." I'm asking if anyone knows.
The Player’s former Club will receive a selection at the end of the first round beginning after the last regularly scheduled selection in the round. The former

Clubs will select based on reverse order of winning percentage from the prior championship season.

Reverse order of winning percentage.

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/2011_CBA.pdf

Reverse order is reverse order.

Never questioned reverse order. My question was whether it is one each team in reverse order, followed by another one for all teams losing a second pick, etc., or whether it was all picks at once for each team. There is a difference, and there is logic to it being either way. Fortunately based on what they did last year, we do get all 2 at once before most other teams will get to pick one.

Never questioned reverse order. My question was whether it is one each team in reverse order, followed by another one for all teams losing a second pick, etc., or whether it was all picks at once for each team. There is a difference, and there is logic to it being either way. Fortunately based on what they did last year, we do get all 2 at once before most other teams will get to pick one.

Typo - 3.

BTW, chances are that it would be four of the top 40. Not 30.

Well, if only five teams yield their first draft pick, as in 2014, and Iwakuma, Samardziya, and Upton all get taken by other teams, the O's will have the 29th, 30th, and 31st picks. That's very close to a worst case scenario. I think the O's picks will all be in the top 30.

Well, if only five teams yield their first draft pick, as in 2014, and Iwakuma, Samardziya, and Upton all get taken by other teams, the O's will have the 29th, 30th, and 31st picks. That's very close to a worst case scenario. I think the O's picks will all be in the top 30.

I think the O's only end up with three of those picks.

You are right. My mistake.

Archived