Sign O'Day; Trade Britton

wildcard

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm well aware. And you're not in any way in danger of making me look bad.

We know DD has traded international slots, b/c he's not free to use them. Per Weams.

So either DD doesn't value these assets, or ownership is dictating not only how much, but how, money is spent.

He is not free to use them in DR on July 2 at the multi- million dollar level. And you know that. It's not per me. He trades slots for money he isn't going to spend. Don't play that game.

Kind of hard to argue this.

Either DD does not value them OR he does not have the allocated resources to use them and thus moves them.

Either alternative is pretty bad IMO

Pretty much.

And imo it isn't DD.

But Angelos is the bestest owner now, who's learned so many lessons, and doesn't ever meddle or micromanage.

But it's better than the alternative of the O's moving to Tokyo and playing in the newly formed East Asian division. Of course, divisional play's going to be a lot easier, as they're the only team in the division.

He is not free to use them in DR on July 2 at the multi- million dollar level. And you know that. It's not per me. He trades slots for money he isn't going to spend. Don't play that game.

But he's trading slots that are WELL BELOW the multi-million dollar level.

So it's clear that the restriction in the DR goes well below that level.

Na. There is not much of real value available at that level.

So there's not much real value below the multi-million dollar level? Which I adamantly disagree with.

And he can't spend at the multi-million dollar level?

So basically the DR has nothing to offer us?

How much of Dan's 2 million dollars did you want him to spend?

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/134058394/clubs-sign-top-july-2-international-prospects

Total International spending pool.

How many July 2 Dominicans does that buy you?

It's not a DD issue.

The fact we consistently are 28th -last in international prospects and the fact our farm system is what it is now, are not unrelated.

It's pretty stupid. Ignoring a source of 28% of MLB players is just plain dumb. What the Orioles do in that market amounts to the near equivalent of ignoring it. Honestly I don't care what the reason is, it makes zero sense.

I'm well aware. And you're not in any way in danger of making me look bad.

We know DD has traded international slots, b/c he's not free to use them. Per Weams.

We know DD has traded draft picks to essentially save money. As we saw this spring.

So either DD doesn't value these assets, or ownership is dictating not only how much, but how, money is spent.

So we know that in recent history the Orioles were near the top in spending on the draft (pre-slot).

That means they are not adverse to spending on the draft.

They have traded two competitive balance picks.

One was in a move that added a MLB pitcher (kinda) that was under team control for 2+ years. There is no reason at all to assume the cost of the draft pick had anything to do with the trade, it was a chip that could be used and was used.

The second pick is what I would categorize as a salary dump, however the dump was Webb's 2.5M MLB payroll not the 800K or so the pick would have cost. Now you can feel free to fault Dan for getting himself into that mess (I do) but once again there is no indication that the cost of the pick was a factor.

Now onto the international money. We know that ownership is not in favor of the Buscone system and is not in favor of large payments to 16 year olds. Therefor the O's are not big spenders in the youth market. They do however spend what money would be spent on the international market on older Cuban and Asian players. I find this a poor strategy but the money does get spent.

If ownership doesn't wish to spend their money in the youth market then it only makes sense for Dan to trade those slots for whatever value he can get.

To sum up, there is evidence of bad process here but no actual evidence that the O's are not willing to pay for amateur talent.

Archived