Sign O'Day; Trade Britton

wildcard

So there's not much real value below the multi-million dollar level? Which I adamantly disagree with.

And he can't spend at the multi-million dollar level?

So basically the DR has nothing to offer us?

Not too much. Not with the restrictions that Andy MacPhail made part of the Orioles. You get a couple of the project guys and you hope. you don't get much for 3 million.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So we know that in recent history the Orioles were near the top in spending on the draft (pre-slot).

That means they are not adverse to spending on the draft.

They have traded two competitive balance picks.

One was in a move that added a MLB pitcher (kinda) that was under team control for 2+ years. There is no reason at all to assume the cost of the draft pick had anything to do with the trade, it was a chip that could be used and was used.

The second pick is what I would categorize as a salary dump, however the dump was Webb's 2.5M MLB payroll not the 800K or so the pick would have cost. Now you can feel free to fault Dan for getting himself into that mess (I do) but once again there is no indication that the cost of the pick was a factor.

Now onto the international money. We know that ownership is not in favor of the Buscone system and is not in favor of large payments to 16 year olds. Therefor the O's are not big spenders in the youth market. They do however spend what money would be spent on the international market on older Cuban and Asian players. I find this a poor strategy but the money does get spent.

If ownership doesn't wish to spend their money in the youth market then it only makes sense for Dan to trade those slots for whatever value he can get.

To sum up, there is evidence of bad process here but no actual evidence that the O's are not willing to pay for amateur talent.

They're willing to pay some money, not all they could/are allowed, and they force DD to use it in parameters which you yourself don't like.

I'm not criticizing DD.

I'm criticizing ownership.

It's not a DD issue.

The fact we consistently are 28th -last in international prospects and the fact our farm system is what it is now, are not unrelated.

It's pretty stupid. Ignoring a source of 28% of MLB players is just plain dumb. What the Orioles do in that market amounts to the near equivalent of ignoring it. Honestly I don't care what the reason is, it makes zero sense.

Andy did enough good for the organization that I am will to bear the bad.

Not too much. Not with the restrictions that Andy MacPhail made part of the Orioles. You get a couple of the project guys and you hope. you don't get much for 3 million.

It's funny.

Nothing's DD's fault. Nothing Angelos' fault.

It's all MacPhail's. How convenient.

I would be interested to see how or if that philosophy is still part of his shtick in Philly?

The Phillies are a team that has spent liberally in that market with some good results. Will be interesting to see if Andy changes his tune where that market is concerned or if he sticks with company line so to speak.

They're willing to pay some money, not all they could/are allowed, and they force DD to use it in parameters which you yourself don't like.

I'm not criticizing DD.

You have a right to criticize both actually.

I would be interested to see how or if that philosophy is still part of his shtick in Philly?

The Phillies are a team that has spent liberally in that market with some good results. Will be interesting to see if Andy changes his tune where that market is concerned or if he sticks with company line so to speak.

I wonder too. We will have to see.

I wonder too. We will have to see.

Yea I am curious about that. Think it will clarify some things. If Andy comes out and is more than willing to spend in that market, then we can safely assume he has either undergone a miraculous conversion or that his position was more based on the wishes of his boss than his own personal baseball philosophy.

If he stubbornly drags the Phillies into the depths of not spending in those markets, well sucks to be them and we know who poisoned the well so to speak.

I'm not criticizing DD.

It isn't a matter of cheapness.

If they spent the money on 16 year olds from the DR instead of low ceiling 24 year old Cubans they wouldn't be spending any more money. They would just be spending it elsewhere.

If Dan was careless in his spending and went over budget and had to sell off a draft pick how is that different then you or me overspending on Mani/Pedis and having to hock Grandma's silver to pay the rent?

You are complaining about the wrong things. Your basic premise is incorrect.

They are spending a reasonable amount of money, they just need to improve the process.

Yea I am curious about that. Think it will clarify some things. If Andy comes out and is more than willing to spend in that market, then we can safely assume he has either undergone a miraculous conversion or that his position was more based on the wishes of his boss than his own personal baseball philosophy.

If he stubbornly drags the Phillies into the depths of not spending in those markets, well sucks to be them and we know who poisoned the well so to speak.

Not really.

If ownership says spend the limit then Andy should be spending the limits despite his personal beliefs.

If they spent the money on 16 year olds from the DR instead of low ceiling 24 year old Cubans they wouldn't be spending any more money. They would just be spending it elsewhere.

If Dan was careless in his spending and went over budget and had to sell off a draft pick how is that different then you or me overspending on Mani/Pedis and having to hock Grandma's silver to pay the rent?

They are spending a reasonable amount of money, they just need to improve the process.

But the process is being influenced by ownership, which is the whole freaking problem.

They should write a check and let DD and the scouts do their jobs.

That's not what's happening apparently.

Not following you here on the international amateur spending. We are consistently at the bottom of the pile in that area and your saying its not a matter of spending? How does that jive?

Now if your saying spend plenty overall but they invest to much money in other areas and not enough in the international side then I follow and agree.

Archived