Jim Henneman: Manny Machado's Play At Third Base Reminiscent Of Brooks Robinson

PressBoxOnline

Jim Henneman isn't surprised Manny Machado won his second Gold Glove Award, and he sees comparisons between Machado and Orioles great Brooks Robinson. http://www.pressboxonline.com/2015/11/11/jim-henneman-manny-machados-play-at-third-base-reminiscent-of-brooks-robinson

I agree, although I was only able to catch the tail end of Robinson's career (October of 1971 - August of 1977), and on a limited basis (Orioles-Yankees games, nationally-televised games on Saturday afternoons and Monday nights, and postseason games.)

Brooks didn't have Manny's arm but Manny doesn't have Brooks concentration.

Pretty fair analysis. I still remember the celebration they had at the last game at Memorial Stadium, when Brooks ran out to 3B in full uniform, glove on, and started pawing the dirt around 3B with his feet the way he would before every pitch, getting ready for whatever would happen next. It sent chills up my spine.

Pretty fair analysis. I still remember the celebration they had at the last game at Memorial Stadium, when Brooks ran out to 3B in full uniform, glove on, and started pawing the dirt around 3B with his feet the way he would before every pitch, getting ready for whatever would happen next. It sent chills up my spine.

Me too. Brooks was the best.

Brooks didn't have Manny's arm but Manny doesn't have Brooks concentration. It was amazing when you'd go to a game your eye just went to 3B because he was so intensely into to game. Reminded me of Michael Jordon, Unitas, and Ray Berry.

Right on the button! Let's hope Manny can become the man Brooks has been and have as long a career with the O's...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I was too young to have seen Brooks when he was active, I didn't get into baseball until 1979 when I was eight. But sometime in the early-to-mid 80s I went with my Dad and brother to one of those Cracker Jack Old Timers Games at RFK stadium. Of course Brooks made a diving catch of a liner. Six or eight or ten years after he'd retired.

I think Brooks saw the ball off the bat (concentration??) than Manny and was able to get a great jump on balls. Manny is more athletic and reacts quickly. He seemed to catch quite a few balls "behind" him this year. He certainly wins the style match up with Brooks. I think his "concentration" will improve in future years. That with his quickness and athleticism will make him arguably the best defensive 3rd baseman ever. Or will he play SS for a while and return to 3rd later???

I think his "concentration" will improve in future years. That with his quickness and athleticism will make him arguably the best defensive 3rd baseman ever. Or will he play SS for a while and return to 3rd later???

I think most great defensive players (other than maybe SSs and CFers) could have been good players at other, harder positions. But really good teams will play a guy like Manny or Brooks or Barry Bonds at 3B or LF instead of SS or CF to get legendary defense, instead of pretty good defense at a harder position. Then go out and finding a good 3B or CFer to cover those spots. Bobby Grich could have been an average or better SS, but the O's used him at 2B where he was completely awesome. I'm a fan of not Peter Principling your defenders.

It was the way he would creep forward as the pitcher was winding up. He always said he could move better in any direction if he was moving forward when the ball was hit. But it takes guts to do that at 3B when the ball could be back at you at 100 mph.

Archived