SP and OF Trade Targets

orioles4lyfe

He will require a load of prospects. Who do we have to send them? Manny? Gausman? Schoop?

I would think that if Fernandez is becoming too expensive for them, they would not be interested in Manny for the same reason. The question is do we have enough MLB-ready minor leaguers or pre-arb players to make a competitive offer. Gausman, Schoop and Mancini, perhaps? Probably not. Like I said, a guy can dream.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Florida listening to offers for Jose Fernandez, per MLBTR. A guy can dream.

There was some buzz yesterday surrounding the possibility of the Marlins dangling stud righty Jose Fernandez in trades after Craig Mish of Sirius XM tweeted that there is a ?growing sentiment? inside and outside the organization that a deal could occur this winter. That?s hardly an indication that a deal is likely, but it wouldn?t be surprising for the Fish at least to listen. The Scott Boras client has three years of control remaining and doesn?t seem likely to sign an extension. While he?ll be rather affordable ? MLBTR projects only a $2MM arbitration salary because of his limited innings last year ? he?d also be a hotly-pursued trade piece that could potentially bring back a huge return of more controllable talent at or near the big league level.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2015/11/trade-market-tigers-closers-marlins-jose-fernandez.html

WOW. I doubt we have what it takes, but I'd literally be willing to deal anyone not named Jones, Machado, and Schoop for him.

The cost and unwillingness to sign an extension makes Fernandez untradeable. No team is going to pony up the amount of talent Miami is going to want knowing that Fernandez is going to FA. The Dodgers aren't giving up Urias,Seager+ for 3 years or Fernandez; the Cubs aren't giving up Russel,Schwarber+. Once Fernandez is down to about a year to a year and a half before FA I believe he'll be moved. At that point a trade wouldn't take a franchise decimating amount of talent.

Per Rotoworld:

Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that the White Sox are open to trading Avisail Garcia.

Hayes adds that the White Sox have "already entertained offers" for the 24-year-old corner outfielder, who struggled to the tune of a .257/.309/.365 slash line in 2015. Garcia is entering his first year of salary arbitration (as a Super Two qualifier) and the White Sox feel they have adequate outfield depth without him between Melky Cabrera, Adam Eaton, and fast-riser Trayce Thompson. "Their people are very frustrated with [Garcia]," a scout told CSNChicago.com.

Per MLBTradeRumors:

Other clubs will certainly be intrigued by the possibility of rolling the dice on Garcia’s talent, as he’s a former top-100 talent who has at least shown the ability to produce at a league-average rate at a young age. While his defensive issues also limit his value, it’s possible to imagine that Garcia could be a useful part in the right trade. And Garcia comes with four seasons of control, though it won’t necessarily be cheap, as MLBTR projects that he’ll earn $2.3MM this year as a Super Two.

Former top prospect. Seems right up DD's alley.

Per Rotoworld:

Dan Hayes of CSNChicago.com reports that the White Sox are open to trading Avisail Garcia.

Hayes adds that the White Sox have "already entertained offers" for the 24-year-old corner outfielder, who struggled to the tune of a .257/.309/.365 slash line in 2015. Garcia is entering his first year of salary arbitration (as a Super Two qualifier) and the White Sox feel they have adequate outfield depth without him between Melky Cabrera, Adam Eaton, and fast-riser Trayce Thompson. "Their people are very frustrated with [Garcia]," a scout told CSNChicago.com.

Per MLBTradeRumors:

Other clubs will certainly be intrigued by the possibility of rolling the dice on Garcia’s talent, as he’s a former top-100 talent who has at least shown the ability to produce at a league-average rate at a young age. While his defensive issues also limit his value, it’s possible to imagine that Garcia could be a useful part in the right trade. And Garcia comes with four seasons of control, though it won’t necessarily be cheap, as MLBTR projects that he’ll earn $2.3MM this year as a Super Two.

Former top prospect. Seems right up DD's alley.

Reverse Arrieta? :mwahaha:

Seriously though, I would hope they don't give up much for him and if they don't he can be the new Junior Lake. Does he have any options left?

• 4 months later...

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Column <a href="https://t.co/ucvizlNAv8">https://t.co/ucvizlNAv8</a> A case why Tyson Ross is most likely good SP to be traded by 8/1. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a></p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

">March 29, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

If Machado, Jones and Britton get traded, I think it should be for a king's ransom of prospects to dramatically accelerate a future rebuilding effort. I would not deal any of them for anything less than that or for any other

reason and certainly not for Fernandez or any other one player. Still too early to know which way the ship will sail, but if we tank this year, there will be some tough decisions to make if none of those three can be

extended in the 2017 offseason because letting them walk to FA for a measly first round pick is the wrong thing to do and will set this organization back several years. I wouldn't touch Ross, either. His mechanics scare

me. All arm, no body, no stride. I wouldn't take a chance on that.

If Machado, Jones and Britton get traded, I think it should be for a king's ransom of prospects to dramatically accelerate a future rebuilding effort. I would not deal any of them for anything less than that or for any other

reason and certainly not for Fernandez or any other one player. Still too early to know which way the ship will sail, but if we tank this year, there will be some tough decisions to make if none of those three can be

extended in the 2017 offseason because letting them walk to FA for a measly first round pick is the wrong thing to do and will set this organization back several years. I wouldn't touch Ross, either. His mechanics scare

me. All arm, no body, no stride. I wouldn't take a chance on that.

Certainly not this year. For anything. Any time.

Archived