SP and OF Trade Targets

orioles4lyfe

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll start with OF.

Jay Bruce (Cincinnati) - they're selling, and Bruce has a partial albatross of a contract. He is owed $12.5 mil in 2016 and $13 mil in 2017, though with a $1 mil buyout. He is a lefty with power capable of hitting 30 HR at Camden Yards.

- What would it take? Either something substantial with the Reds eating salary, or something trivial with the Orioles absorbing said salary. The Reds are going to conduct a fire sale (Aroldis Chapman already has one foot out the door) and they want youth, anywhere and everywhere. So it depends on if the Orioles have a prospect or two that the Reds like. I personally don't like the idea.

Brett Gardner (New York) - I'm surprised at this one but here we are, and the Yankees are rumored to already be in talks with the Mariners over Gardner, who finished the 2015 season poorly after making the All Star team. The recent trade of John Ryan Murphy for Aaron Hicks makes either Gardner or Carlos Beltran expendable, and nobody wants Beltran's contract at his age.

- What would it take? I'm not even entertaining the idea so your guess is as good as mine. Gardner would be a very good fit in LF though with his OBP skills and (admittedly declining) defense.

Carlos Gonzalez (Colorado) - he's available, and his contract is bigger than Bruce's: $17 mil in 2016, $20 mil in 2017. CarGo had a disastrous 2014 but rebounded in a big way in 2015, slugging .540 with 40 HR. He is a lefty, and the Orioles need a lefty. John Heyman (Scott Boras) has already linked him to the Orioles; they can't seem to get away from the guy.

- what would it take? Troy Tulowitzki netted the Rockies three prospects and Jose Reyes. Gonzalez isn't exactly Tulo but he is a former All Star and the Rockies aren't going to part with him lightly. My guess is they ask for Kevin Gausman, the Orioles counter with something less, and they go separate ways. Like with Bruce, the money is a big factor here and the Orioles have the space at the moment to absorb his full salary. Now here's the funny thing -- rumor has it that if the Rockies clear CarGo's salary they are bidders for Chris Davis. This sounds like music to Boras' ears and maybe, just maybe through Scott Boras the Orioles can swing this deal while giving up little in return.

Jon Jay (Saint Louis) - Jay was hurt this season and it showed. He missed a lot of time with a surgically repaired wrist and when he played he was flat out bad. So he is a big rebound candidate provided health. He is listed as a trade option per Ken Rosenthal. If the Orioles get the healthy Jay, they get a man who prior to 2015 hit .295/.359/.396 (109 OPS+) with solid CF defense that I assume would project well to LF.

- what would it take? The Cards are looking at people like Ben Zobrist and it doesn't look like they want both Jay and Peter Bourjos on their talented 25-man. This is a good opportunity for the Orioles, again if the medicals check out. But what do the Cards need? Well, a first baseman. But that would be Chris Davis if they had their way. In a proposed Jay trade, the Cards can afford to sit back and cherry pick who they would want from the farm system. One suggestion I'm sure the OH board won't like: Chance Sisco. Yadier Molina isn't getting any younger.

Leonys Martin (Texas) - the Rangers are going to tender him, and rumor has it other teams are interested in buying low. Martin had a terrible year offensively in 2015 but before then he was a promising young left handed (you'll see that's a running theme here) center fielder with a ton of defensive value.

- what would it take? Texas still sees value in Martin and that's why they're retaining him. But I would imagine one prospect gets it done, provided they like him. Like everyone else, they can use a good young starting pitcher, but the Orioles need said pitcher too. They also could use some bullpen help however so a guy like Mike Wright, who could play both SP/RP but excel in the pen, is a possibility.

Marcell Ozuna (Miami) - was rumored as a trade possibility at the deadline, and it doesn't look like he's on good terms with the front office. His agent is -- wait for it -- Scott Boras. The Orioles aren't quite buddy-buddy with Boras but they're on much better terms with him than the Marlins.

- What would it take? A replacement OF would actually be a good start, to pair with Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich. Ozuna was supposed to be that. Maybe Pedro Alvarez tickles their fancy. They're also uncertain at 1B, so Christian Walker or Trey Mancini could be added. Finally, their #1 priority is starting pitcher, and the Orioles have a couple guys for that, but we're trying not to weaken one position to supplement another.

I'll start with OF.

Jay Bruce (Cincinnati) - they're selling, and Bruce has a partial albatross of a contract. He is owed $12.5 mil in 2016 and $13 mil in 2017, though with a $1 mil buyout. He is a lefty with power capable of hitting 30 HR at Camden Yards.

- What would it take? Either something substantial with the Reds eating salary, or something trivial with the Orioles absorbing said salary. The Reds are going to conduct a fire sale (Aroldis Chapman already has one foot out the door) and they want youth, anywhere and everywhere. So it depends on if the Orioles have a prospect or two that the Reds like. I personally don't like the idea.

Carlos Gonzalez (Colorado) - he's available, and his contract is bigger than Bruce's: $17 mil in 2016, $20 mil in 2017. CarGo had a disastrous 2014 but rebounded in a big way in 2015, slugging .540 with 40 HR. He is a lefty, and the Orioles need a lefty. John Heyman (Scott Boras) has already linked him to the Orioles; they can't seem to get away from the guy.

- what would it take? Troy Tulowitzki netted the Rockies three prospects and Jose Reyes. Gonzalez isn't exactly Tulo but he is a former All Star and the Rockies aren't going to part with him lightly. My guess is they ask for Kevin Gausman, the Orioles counter with something less, and they go separate ways. Like with Bruce, the money is a big factor here and the Orioles have the space at the moment to absorb his full salary. Now here's the funny thing -- rumor has it that if the Rockies clear CarGo's salary they are bidders for Chris Davis. This sounds like music to Boras' ears and maybe, just maybe through Scott Boras the Orioles can swing this deal while giving up little in return.

Marcell Ozuna (Miami) - was rumored as a trade possibility at the deadline, and it doesn't look like he's on good terms with the front office. His agent is -- wait for it -- Scott Boras. The Orioles aren't quite buddy-buddy with Boras but they're on much better terms with him than the Marlins.

- What would it take? A replacement OF would actually be a good start, to pair with Giancarlo Stanton and Christian Yelich. Ozuna was supposed to be that. Maybe Pedro Alvarez tickles their fancy. They're also uncertain at 1B, so Christian Walker or Trey Mancini could be added. Finally, their #1 priority is starting pitcher, and the Orioles have a couple guys for that, but we're trying not to weaken one position to supplement another.

I wouldn't discount the value of Gonzalez or Ubaldo in a trade for an outfielder. Gonzo is not a 200 inning guy, but he was very dependable until he was hurt last season, and he doesn't make a lot of money. Plus, he would be under team control for three years. That might appeal to the fish.

Ubaldo has two more years on his contract, and the terms are starting to look pretty reasonable. Would the Rockies entertain a reunion?

I don't think either of these guys gets a deal done on their own, but maybe they are an important part of a package.

I wouldn't discount the value of Gonzalez or Ubaldo in a trade for an outfielder. Gonzo is not a 200 inning guy, but he was very dependable until he was hurt last season, and he doesn't make a lot of money. Plus, he would be under team control for three years. That might appeal to the fish.

Things are so sour in Miami that they might actually entertain Gonzo. That would be terrific for the Orioles as they would save money on the deal. I can't imagine the extra piece would be too significant. Which is not what the Orioles have in the first place.

I have no desire to trade for anyone. We don't have the depth to trade anyone. We can't afford to lose any or our starters or potential starters now. I don't want to give up any draft picks either, so let's bolster our team by signing free agents without any compensation attached or resigning our own.

I have no desire to trade for anyone. We don't have the depth to trade anyone. We can't afford to lose any or our starters or potential starters now. I don't want to give up any draft picks either' date=' so let's bolster our team by signing free agents without any compensation attached or resigning our own.[/quote']

At some point we will trade our international slot money allocation (like we do every year), because we don't use it.

I'm more curious about what we plan on trading to get hypothetical SP???

I don't see a lot of expendable assets here.

He said the same thing last year and the year before about trades. Wash,Rinse,Repeat.

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said he was on the verge of a trade for pitching help Wednesday, but the deal fell through.

And now, as the meetings head into the final day, the Orioles face the possibility of coming home to Baltimore with nothing more than an anticipated selection in Thursday's Rule 5 draft.

?We're not about signing high-profile free agents. We're about bringing good players through the farm system. We're about making trades. We're about being active in the Rule 5 draft, signing international players. That's who we are.?

The Orioles reopened talks with prospective free agents and possible trade partners during the winter meetings Monday, and executive vice president Dan Duquette remains confident he will return to Baltimore with a new acquisition.

?We've had a lot of conversations,? Duquette said. ?We should be adding new players by the end of the week.?

Duquette said he had not made any additional free-agent offers as of Monday evening.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-winter-meetings-1211-20141210-story.html

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-12-09/sports/bal-orioles-continue-to-discuss-trade-freeagent-possibilities-on-first-official-day-of-winter-meetings-20131209_1_dan-duquette-winter-meetings-the-orioles

If the Dodgers are ready to cut ties, I want Puig. But that's obviously a big "if" and I have no idea what it would take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Heck, I would be OK with Crawford or Ethier (lefties) depending on how much money the Dodgers kick in and who we would have to give up.

He said the same thing last year and the year before about trades. Wash,Rinse,Repeat.

Orioles executive vice president Dan Duquette said he was on the verge of a trade for pitching help Wednesday, but the deal fell through.

And now, as the meetings head into the final day, the Orioles face the possibility of coming home to Baltimore with nothing more than an anticipated selection in Thursday's Rule 5 draft.

?We're not about signing high-profile free agents. We're about bringing good players through the farm system. We're about making trades. We're about being active in the Rule 5 draft, signing international players. That's who we are.?

The Orioles reopened talks with prospective free agents and possible trade partners during the winter meetings Monday, and executive vice president Dan Duquette remains confident he will return to Baltimore with a new acquisition.

?We've had a lot of conversations,? Duquette said. ?We should be adding new players by the end of the week.?

Duquette said he had not made any additional free-agent offers as of Monday evening.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/bs-sp-orioles-winter-meetings-1211-20141210-story.html

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-12-09/sports/bal-orioles-continue-to-discuss-trade-freeagent-possibilities-on-first-official-day-of-winter-meetings-20131209_1_dan-duquette-winter-meetings-the-orioles

I don't have a problem w them not surfing the top of the FA market.

I don't have a problem w them not surfing the top of the Latin FA market.

But I wonder how they plan on winning when the trades they make are largely losers.

I wonder how they plan on winning whe their international signings are very minor.

I wonder how they plan on winning when the MiL system is crap.

And I'll concede they do well on the Rule 5 draft. But that's largely inconsequential.

They need to add REAL talent. And stop living off AM's acquisitions.

I'll start with OF.

Brett Gardner (New York) - I'm surprised at this one but here we are, and the Yankees are rumored to already be in talks with the Mariners over Gardner, who finished the 2015 season poorly after making the All Star team. The recent trade of John Ryan Murphy for Aaron Hicks makes either Gardner or Carlos Beltran expendable, and nobody wants Beltran's contract at his age.

- What would it take? I'm not even entertaining the idea so your guess is as good as mine. Gardner would be a very good fit in LF though with his OBP skills and (admittedly declining) defense.

Jon Jay (Saint Louis) - Jay was hurt this season and it showed. He missed a lot of time with a surgically repaired wrist and when he played he was flat out bad. So he is a big rebound candidate provided health. He is listed as a trade option per Ken Rosenthal. If the Orioles get the healthy Jay, they get a man who prior to 2015 hit .295/.359/.396 (109 OPS+) with solid CF defense that I assume would project well to LF.

- what would it take? The Cards are looking at people like Ben Zobrist and it doesn't look like they want both Jay and Peter Bourjos on their talented 25-man. This is a good opportunity for the Orioles, again if the medicals check out. But what do the Cards need? Well, a first baseman. But that would be Chris Davis if they had their way. In a proposed Jay trade, the Cards can afford to sit back and cherry pick who they would want from the farm system. One suggestion I'm sure the OH board won't like: Chance Sisco. Yadier Molina isn't getting any younger.

Leonys Martin (Texas) - the Rangers are going to tender him, and rumor has it other teams are interested in buying low. Martin had a terrible year offensively in 2015 but before then he was a promising young left handed (you'll see that's a running theme here) center fielder with a ton of defensive value.

- what would it take? Texas still sees value in Martin and that's why they're retaining him. But I would imagine one prospect gets it done, provided they like him. Like everyone else, they can use a good young starting pitcher, but the Orioles need said pitcher too. They also could use some bullpen help however so a guy like Mike Wright, who could play both SP/RP but excel in the pen, is a possibility.

Thank you for putting together this list. I think Jay or Martin might be decent targets. Puig would be great too if the Dodgers will move him.

What are the SP that might be available?

This is the third offseason in a row that I've suggested acquiring this guy, plus last year's trade deadline.

Will Venable vs. RHPs:

2015: .256/.336/.374

Career: .256/.324/.422

Career Away: .271/.337/.445

With the exception of 82 PAs after being traded to the Rangers last year, he's played his whole career in San Diego, which makes that .782 Away OPS against righties particularly notable. Also swiped 16 bases in 2015. I would think 2 years( or one with an option of some sort) at $3-5 million per would get it done in this year's FA market.

Pair him with a RH guy like Pearce on a similar deal in a strict platoon, and you should be able to count on fairly solid production from one of the COF spots without breaking the bank for a longer, riskier investment.

Archived