Finding surplus value -- it isn't easy

Frobby

The difference is the Bedard, Sherrill and Uehara deals were made when the team was not competitive. If the O's were within a game or two of the playoffs I doubt they would have traded Bedard, and if they did the fans would have rebelled.

If the team was to be competitive the year Erik was traded, he would not have been. If the Orioles were in a playoff hunt neither would Koji have left us.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Figured while everyone was discussing surplus value, Robbie Grossman was just released from the Astros. Only 26 and if signed would be controlled for 5 seasons. Provides plus value defensively in the corner outfield spots but regressed with the bat after a decent rookie season. Is he someone you gamble on or do we already have him in Yolough?

Figured while everyone was discussing surplus value, Robbie Grossman was just released from the Astros. Only 26 and if signed would be controlled for 5 seasons. Provides plus value defensively in the corner outfield spots but regressed with the bat after a decent rookie season. Is he someone you gamble on or do we already have him in Yolough?

Can he play center? I don't know that he hits enough if he is strictly a corner guy. No reason to not try him on a make-good minor league contract, but I don't see it on a major league deal if he can't back up center field.

Can he play center? I don't know that he hits enough if he is strictly a corner guy. No reason to not try him on a make-good minor league contract, but I don't see it on a major league deal if he can't back up center field.

35 games in CF in the majors.

Roughly 200 games in CF in the minors.

Not even going to consider looking at the metrics with that small a sample size.

A rebuild in June 2016 means goodbye Jones, and see if you can do someone to do something stupid on Machado. That's why I wanted to see it start in June of this past year. I feel like the nadir of the rebuild would have been much better if they started a year early. I fear the nadir of a rebuild that begins with the trade of Jones. The plus side is if they went whole hog into it Jones, Tillman, Ubaldo and Britton probably could net a number of promising young prospects.

It's also worth noting that even in a rebuild you have to find surplus value. It may be a little easier because you can give guys a chance without the expectation of wins.

Sorry, you don't give up on a season when you are 1 game out of a playoff spot in July 31st.

Sorry, you don't give up on a season when you are 1 game out of a playoff spot in July 31st.
When was the last time a team within 2-3 G of the playoffs went on a massive rebuild sale on July 31? Don't think it's ever happened. Wonder why, it makes so much sense. :rolleyestf:

When was the last time a team within 2-3 G of the playoffs went on a massive rebuild sale on July 31? Don't think it's ever happened. Wonder why, it makes so much sense. :rolleyestf:

I agree with this. I also think it's possible to tinker/retool without holding a massive rebuild sale. THere's lots of room for nuance.

Archived