MLB.Com Hey Now: O's 1 of 4 Teams That Are Best Fit For Heyward

Can_of_corn

Cardinals

Angels

Dodgers

Orioles

The loss of Nick Markakis is something the Orioles felt the entire year. He was a solid leadoff hitter, an excellent defender and a smart baserunner. He's a big reason the O's couldn't repeat as American League East champs. Well, Heyward is a lot like Markakis, but better across the board and has a cleaner medical history.

Heyward also has an offensive ceiling he hasn't reached, and no manager is better than Buck Showalter at getting players to fulfill their potential, with Chris Davis, a player who might leave as a free agent, being a perfect example. Whether Davis stays or goes, Heyward remains a great fit in Baltimore.

http://m.mlb.com/news/article/158183350/

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You are absolutely right. We should only talk about things that have a moderately high chance of probability.

So what minor league free agent is Dan going to sign next?

I did not mean to be dismissive of the discussion. I just got carried away with the idea.

Not sold on the cleaner medical history, Heyward does have a back issue that could be an issue when talking about a contract of 8+ years.

Yeah that stuck out as poor reporting. Nick has only been on the disabled list once in his career for a broken wrist on a hit by pitch.

I did not mean to be dismissive of the discussion. I just got carried away with the idea.

You may recall an earlier thread I started about five reasons to sign Heyward. If you are going to give up a pick, you might as well do it for a player who is already as good as you hope the pick will become and has what should be his best years ahead of him.

Yeah that stuck out as poor reporting. Nick has only been on the disabled list once in his career for a broken wrist on a hit by pitch.

There was also the neck thing, and the abdominal tear.

I just have been guilty of ignoring the back issue with Heyward.

It should be a concern for teams considering the length of next contract he will sign.

If they're talking about signing Davis, a better use of that kind of money is Heyward. I think we know this team isn't that forward thinking though. Angelos will only consider Davis because he already knows who that is.

What if the money is dissimilar? Say it requires a shade under $150M Davis and 10/230 for Heyward?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What if the money is dissimilar? Say it requires a shade under $150M Davis and 10/230 for Heyward?

I think the AAV would be more impact-full then the years at that point, especally since a Heyward deal would almost certainly be both heavily insured and contain an opt-out after 3-4 years.

I think the AAV would be more impact-full then the years at that point, especally since a Heyward deal would almost certainly be both heavily insured and contain an opt-out after 3-4 years.

Yes, I don't think we would have to worry about carry Heyward or his contract for more than 3-4 years. And I see that as a plus.

To have a competitive bid, we may have to give him an August opt out.

Archived