Duquette Speaks

Frobby

What I meant is if the youngsters were on the Orioles in 2016, would they outperform what Gallardo will do. In the AL East. Not in AA or AAA.

While that is true, what IF Gallardo is bad? Then we look at things like the poor trades Duquette made for Right-Fielders last season (2 of which are lefties). Duquette traded 3 pitching prospects, who all had EXCELLENT years in the minor leagues, to fill one position.

Davies could have certainly been our #5 and would have cost us nothing and our system would have more depth and wouldn't be rated 27th.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=zachary-davies

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=stephen-tarpley

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=steven-brault

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
While that is true, what IF Gallardo is bad? Then we look at things like the poor trades Duquette made for Right-Fielders last season (2 of which are lefties). Duquette traded 3 pitching prospects, who all had EXCELLENT years in the minor leagues, to fill one position.

Davies could have certainly been our #5 and would have cost us nothing and our system would have more depth and wouldn't be rated 27th.

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=zachary-davies

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=stephen-tarpley

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?P=steven-brault

I like Chris Lee more than Davies. Myself. He also replaces one of Tarpley, Brault. At the minimum.

Wasn't there a brunch of arms in the system above Zach and that was why Zach was more expendable and sent to the Brewers?

Dan's desperation is the reason Zach was traded to the Brewers.

From what I heard (and which could certainly be wrong) the Brewers targeted Davies.

From what I heard (and which could certainly be wrong) the Brewers targeted Davies.

Tony-OH really liked Davies. Many clubs are looking beyond the pitcher body frame types for cheap controllable arms in sub-optimum bodies. . Especially if they do not expect to compete in the next two or three seasons. Like the Brewers. Chris Lee is a typical pitcher frame target. With the bigger velocity that speaks to upside.

I've never seen Dan appear desperate. Maybe unemotional, but not desperate. I think he was very disappointed with how his Nick Markakis replacements fared. Even though Nick himself would have added nothing much beyond their production.

I've never seen Dan appear desperate. Maybe unemotional, but not desperate. I think he was very disappointed with how his Nick Markakis replacements fared. Even though Nick himself would have added nothing much beyond their production.

Someone thinking rationally does not look at last years team and think "We're a Parra away from the playoffs!".

Someone thinking rationally does not look at last years team and think "We're a Parra away from the playoffs!".

Maybe if Wright and Wilson don't both get hurt when Gonzalez is putrid they could. But panic, no. That's an attempt to appear relevant. While trading an asset that he did not think would be important during his tenure. You have to try when you are close. Unemotional. Not panicking.

BS.

On Jul 31st, the team was 52-20 and traded for a 2 time gold glove, who could hit both left and right handed pitching, that would be an ideal addition at the top of the batting order.

On paper, it was exactly what they needed.

BS.

On Jul 31st, the team was 52-20 and traded for a 2 time gold glove, who could hit both left and right handed pitching, that would be an ideal addition at the top of the batting order.

On paper, it was exactly what they needed.

They traded for a below average (career) hitter with plummeting defensive numbers whose offensive numbers looked good due to an unsustainable BABIP.

And I said all of that at the time.

On paper the team needed two starting pitchers.

I also don't remember the O's being 32 games over .500 at any point last season. :P

They traded for a below average (career) hitter with plummeting defensive numbers whose offensive numbers looked good due to an unsustainable BABIP.

And I said all of that at the time.

On paper the team needed two starting pitchers.

I also don't remember the O's being 32 games over .500 at any point last season. :P

I'd have to pretty much agree with this. The pitching betrayed any plan that he may have concocted. He evidently does not think Davies has a high ceiling.

I'd have to pretty much agree with this. The pitching betrayed any plan that he may have concocted. He evidently does not think Davies has a high ceiling.

His ceiling was much higher than two months of Parra, IMO. We'll see.

In Dan's defense, it can be hard to judge whether you are one half decent player away from a playoff spot. We were 53-49 in 2012 and look what that team did down the stretch. Granted, they got a ton of help when Manny and McLouth joined the team in early August. I did not like the trade but I don't think it was completely obvious that Parra couldn't move the needle. It just wasn't that likely that he would continue to post an .886 OPS, considering his .730ish track record. But I wasn't expecting .625, either.

How many years did we get to July with no chance of making the post season...now we have a team that is within a game or so of a playoff spot in July and we are criticizing management for trying to make the post season. The trade did not work out, but at the time I was all for it...and if we are a game out of a play off spot in late July 2016, I would make a similar move.

In Dan's defense, it can be hard to judge whether you are one half decent player away from a playoff spot. We were 53-49 in 2012 and look what that team did down the stretch. Granted, they got a ton of help when Manny and McLouth joined the team in early August. I did not like the trade but I don't think it was completely obvious that Parra couldn't move the needle. It just wasn't that likely that he would continue to post an .886 OPS, considering his .730ish track record. But I wasn't expecting .625, either.

I think a realistic look at last year's August/September schedule made it fairly likely the team was not going to compete for a playoff spot. And certainly your point about Parra maintaining his hot streak holds true.

Archived