Duquette Speaks

Frobby

At the time I was all for it too. My recollection on Davies was that he was one of those pitching prospects that is often listed with several others as "names to watch" types. He had a good year in 2014 but it feels a bit revisionist to say trading him was a big desperation move. Parra was in the midst of his career year and COF was our big gaping hole... he had some wheels, some pop, was known for defense, and was supposed to be a great teammate. Also, do not forget that this team at the time was the defending division champs who was one step from the Series the previous year. The feeling was that with Wright and Gausman along with Jimenez pitching well, maybe Tilly and Gonzo would click back into place and our only real hole would be COF... It was worth a shot. In context I'm super glad we have a GM who takes those kind of chances. In 2014 we gave up a better prospect (albeit seemingly plateaued at the time) for Miller and I believe that made all the difference.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In Dan's defense, it can be hard to judge whether you are one half decent player away from a playoff spot. We were 53-49 in 2012 and look what that team did down the stretch. Granted, they got a ton of help when Manny and McLouth joined the team in early August. I did not like the trade but I don't think it was completely obvious that Parra couldn't move the needle. It just wasn't that likely that he would continue to post an .886 OPS, considering his .730ish track record. But I wasn't expecting .625, either.

But it's Dan's job to make that judgement. That is literally one of the main things he is responsible for. I don't have any sympathy because it's hard.

I think a realistic look at last year's August/September schedule made it fairly likely the team was not going to compete for a playoff spot. And certainly your point about Parra maintaining his hot streak holds true.

The schedule was certainly a possible obstacle. Still, I think the real turning point in our season came on August 20, when the Twins (59-61 and riding a three game losing streak and 6 games under for August) came to Baltimore and swept us. We were 62-57 at the time, probably hoping to win 3 of 4 or maybe sweep them ourselves. Hardy got hurt in that series, missed 14 games and the O's lost 11 of 14 in his absence. That was all she wrote.

The schedule was certainly a possible obstacle. Still, I think the real turning point in our season came on August 20, when the Twins (59-61 and riding a three game losing streak and 6 games under for August) came to Baltimore and swept us. We were 62-57 at the time, probably hoping to win 3 of 4 or maybe sweep them ourselves. Hardy got hurt in that series, missed 14 games and the O's lost 11 of 14 in his absence. That was all she wrote.

DD should have know that in July!

His ceiling was much higher than two months of Parra, IMO. We'll see.

I am doubtful he's much more than a potential #5 starter or swingman, but pre-arb years of that alone are worth more than two months of Parra.

Dan's desperation is the reason Zach was traded to the Brewers.

From what I heard (and which could certainly be wrong) the Brewers targeted Davies.

True. They did. The same, they were borderline shocked they found a taker for Parra.

They traded for a below average (career) hitter with plummeting defensive numbers whose offensive numbers looked good due to an unsustainable BABIP.

And I said all of that at the time.

On paper the team needed two starting pitchers.

I also don't remember the O's being 32 games over .500 at any point last season. :P

An average hitter, that the Mets signed to a 3 year 26 million dollar contract.

Parra's game didnt translate well here.

"Trumbo is good at first base. Chris Davis is willing to play wherever Buck thinks that he will be an asset. I don't know that that is something that the club wants to do right now."

Sounds like they are at least considering the possibility of playing Davis in right field and that Davis is not adamantly opposed.

I'm sure they'd prefer to find a different solution, but are they willing to pay over $6M to Austin Jackson? Or to give up a real prospect to get Bruce or Markakis?

Sounds like they are at least considering the possibility of playing Davis in right field and that Davis is not adamantly opposed.

I'm sure they'd prefer to find a different solution, but are they willing to pay over $6M to Austin Jackson? Or to give up a real prospect to get Bruce or Markakis?

Neither Bruce, not Markakis should cost a real prospect.

I think a realistic look at last year's August/September schedule made it fairly likely the team was not going to compete for a playoff spot. And certainly your point about Parra maintaining his hot streak holds true.

I think that all of the prognosticators who used the upcoming schedule strength to judge last season are retrospective in their honors.

I suspect that we don't start the season with Davis in the outfield or play him there more than 20 times in the whole long season.

Archived