Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

Do you think the budget (not what they actually spend) will go down significantly in 2016?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't ever see it going up until the rights are resolved. I have no idea what the economic state of the Orioles is. Or MASN. And neither does anyone not named Angelos. We can all toss out our smart aleck retorts but the facts of that matter are that it is not something that is transparent. And the city is not a place for great economic gains right now.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I can't ever see it going up until the rights are resolved. I have no idea what the economic state of the Orioles is. Or MASN. And neither does anyone not named Angelos. We can all toss out our smart allec retorts but the facts of that matter are that it is not something that is transparent. And the city is not a place for great economic gains right now.

Sure. The budget may have to stay in the 110-115 range, but my question was if you thought it will have to go down. If they attract the right guys, do you think they are in position to stay in that range? Or are we looking at a 90-95M budget?

Sure. The budget may have to stay in the 110-115 range, but my question was if you thought it will have to go down. If they attract the right guys, do you think they are in position to stay in that range? Or are we looking at a 90-95M budget?

I would have no information to determine that. I can't see the Baltimore Baseball economic climate as a growth market right now. There is no data that we can glean that information from. And no one is saying those things.

I have no problem with this. The O's can still get corner outfielders with the rest of their money. I'm not saying that we need to resign every reliever that is heading into free agency. But to have a philosophy of FA Reliever = Let Him Walk is a knee-jerk reaction that the team doesn't need. We can't develop a stable, quality bullpen if every reliever is relegated to Let Him Walk status once they hit free agency. These days, quality relievers are more important than in earlier years because starters don't go as far into the game as they used to. I remember several games where a starter would be taken out with a comfortable lead, only to have a reliever come in and allow the opponent to catch up. Of course, even the best reliever will not have his good stuff each and every time. But the percentage when someone like O'Day comes in and slams the door results in more wins for the team. So a quality fireman is an important element for a team. So their market value will increase as more teams realize this and compete for the available players. This is part of the game and O's management shouldn't simply concede on all of their FA relievers and allow each one to walk. Believe me, Angelos can certainly afford it.

So a sound strategy of letting relievers walk is a knee jerk reaction but taking your word that Angelos can afford it all isn't?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

I have no problem with this. The O's can still get corner outfielders with the rest of their money. I'm not saying that we need to resign every reliever that is heading into free agency. But to have a philosophy of FA Reliever = Let Him Walk is a knee-jerk reaction that the team doesn't need. We can't develop a stable, quality bullpen if every reliever is relegated to Let Him Walk status once they hit free agency. These days, quality relievers are more important than in earlier years because starters don't go as far into the game as they used to. I remember several games where a starter would be taken out with a comfortable lead, only to have a reliever come in and allow the opponent to catch up. Of course, even the best reliever will not have his good stuff each and every time. But the percentage when someone like O'Day comes in and slams the door results in more wins for the team. So a quality fireman is an important element for a team. So their market value will increase as more teams realize this and compete for the available players. This is part of the game and O's management shouldn't simply concede on all of their FA relievers and allow each one to walk. Believe me, Angelos can certainly afford it.

Who has a knee jerk reaction?

I'm the most vocal about not paying relievers and even I was OK with O'Day's last extension.

I carefully look at each case as it comes up.

Just in the vast majority of cases it doesn't make sense to pay free agent prices for something that can be done just about as well by someone making the ML minimum who has the added benefit of having options.

Do you think the budget (not what they actually spend) will go down significantly in 2016?

I think it will.

Attendance is going to take a hit this year and I think the increase in spending has been tied to the increase in attendance.

I think it will.

Attendance is going to take a hit this year and I think the increase in spending has been tied to the increase in attendance.

Sounds about right. It looks to me that we'll be relying heavily on our young pitching next year. From what I've seen, I think we may have some good ones. Aren't both Bundy and Gausman required to be on the 25 next year?

Sounds about right. It looks to me that we'll be relying heavily on our young pitching next year. From what I've seen, I think we may have some good ones. Aren't both Bundy and Gausman required to be on the 25 next year?

I do not think Gausman had his option used this year. Did he?

I think it will.

Sadness. Well if that's the case we should just appreciate O'Day for the rest of the season. As well as all the other pending free agents. It's plausible that the team resigns zero of them.

I think it will.

Rochester posted in the attendance thread that we are within 3% of last year's attendance. So we'll see how it plays out over the summer. But yeah, it'll likely be down. Will the budget decrease proportionately? If it's in the 105 to 110 range, I find it hard to see how we'll spend that much with all those FAs leaving. We have slightly less than $5M in planned increases (jones, jimenez, and Hardy) and I counted up to 9 Arb eligible guys that we'd think about making an offer.

We need some bats, I just don't see us signing Upton. So although I agree that we have many arms to fill out the staff (and they'd have options), but I also believe we'd be able to afford O'Day and stay in budget.

Semi related, would you offer arb to mcFarland and/or Brach?

Rochester posted in the attendance thread that we are within 3% of last year's attendance. So we'll see how it plays out over the summer. But yeah, it'll likely be down. Will the budget decrease proportionately? If it's in the 105 to 110 range, I find it hard to see how we'll spend that much with all those FAs leaving. We have slightly less than $5M in planned increases (jones, jimenez, and Hardy) and I counted up to 9 Arb eligible guys that we'd think about making an offer.

We need some bats, I just don't see us signing Upton. So although I agree that we have many arms to fill out the staff (and they'd have options), but I also believe we'd be able to afford O'Day and stay in budget.

Semi related, would you offer arb to mcFarland and/or Brach?

Considering they are both making ~500 this season I wouldn't let their price in arbitration be a determining factor in deciding to keep them.

Archived