Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, but the title of the OP is very misleading. How does anyone NOT appreciate Darren O'Day? Every home game he comes in to pitch, I hear thousands of fans singing his name- oday, oday oday oday, oooooday, oooooday. I wish I was ignored like this. :D

Article from Camden Chat:

http://www.camdenchat.com/2015/6/12/8770115/lets-appreciate-darren-oday

Darren O'Day isn't just another reliever who can easily be replaced. At OPACY, he is one of the most popular players, with the chant "O'Day, O'Day, O'Day, OOOOOO!!" resounding throughout the park. O's management needs to make a serious attempt to resign him.

I wish Duquette would appreciate him by re-signing him soon.

O'Day >>> Walker. Anyway, I think this 2007 reliever is more analogous: http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/b/bradfch01.shtml

I agree that's a better comparison, though it's worth mentioning that he was toast by age 34.

Also, though the style is similar, O'Day has markedly better statistics across the board:

Bradford: 2180 BF, 138 ERA+, 1.288 WHIP, 5.5 K/9

O'Day: 1614 BF, 180 ERA+, 1.004 WHIP, 8.5 K/9

I like O'Day, but getting attached to a player like this and giving 7,8, or 9 million a year would not be the best use of resources. If they had a budget like Boston or New York, go for it, but the Orioles can't spend money on a reliever and then watch the C, 1B, decent starter and what ever else go.

Let me put it this way. I don't want the team to talk about saving money at C, 1B, SP by letting them go, and at the same time claim they don't want to invest major money in the bullpen. I want them to spend somewhere to keep talent.

O'Day has been outstanding for most of his time as an Oriole, but that doesn't mean that giving him 3 years and $18 million would be a wise use of the team's payroll. (Just throwing a round number out there--no idea if it's in the ballpark of what his market value might be). O'Day is more consistent than most relievers, but as a rule relievers tend to be more volatile from season to season than starters. It's also easier to come up with quality relief options from within the organization. Mychal Givens and Ben Rowen could very well be "80-20" replacements for O'Day by next season.

I agree that the O's should spend money somewhere this offseason, but maybe getting a legitimate corner outfield bat would be more cost effective than resigning O'Day.

O'Day has been outstanding for most of his time as an Oriole, but that doesn't mean that giving him 3 years and $18 million would be a wise use of the team's payroll. (Just throwing a round number out there--no idea if it's in the ballpark of what his market value might be). O'Day is more consistent than most relievers, but as a rule relievers tend to be more volatile from season to season than starters. It's also easier to come up with quality relief options from within the organization. Mychal Givens and Ben Rowen could very well be "80-20" replacements for O'Day by next season.

I agree that the O's should spend money somewhere this offseason, but maybe getting a legitimate corner outfield bat would be more cost effective than resigning O'Day.

Agree with all of this. Love O'Day but I don't see another extension being smart money.

Sorry, but the title of the OP is very misleading. How does anyone NOT appreciate Darren O'Day? Every home game he comes in to pitch, I hear thousands of fans singing his name- oday, oday oday oday, oooooday, oooooday. I wish I was ignored like this. :D
I started the thread and made up the title. I actually took it from Camden Chat, which wrote the article whose URL I cited. I used this title because O'Day is scheduled to become a free agent, and I've read too many posts where people seem to say that relievers are replaceable parts and they should all be allowed to walk upon free agency. I heartily disagree with this premise. I value a skilled reliever like Darren O'Day and I believe that he should be re-signed; I don't think that he's a replaceable part at all.

And I'm one of the fans who joins in with "O'Day, O'Day, O'Day, OOOOOH!" I really love the guy and his pitching.

Agree with all of this. Love O'Day but I don't see another extension being smart money.
Exactly the sort of logic that I heartily disagree with. I do believe that an extension for O'Day would be smart money. Relievers like O'Day simply don't grow on trees.

Exactly the sort of logic that I heartily disagree with. I do believe that an extension for O'Day would be smart money. Relievers like O'Day simply don't grow on trees.

Hear, hear! Age is the only concern with him and I don't really think it's an issue. As for injury, you can't expect it to, or not to, happen for anybody with no history of going on the DL.

O'Day will cost $$$ but not "Miller $$$" and he will NOT be simply replaced by some newcomer. The bullpen will take a hit with his departure.

Hear, hear! Age is the only concern with him and I don't really think it's an issue. As for injury, you can't expect it to, or not to, happen for anybody with no history of going on the DL.

O'Day will cost $$$ but not "Miller $$$" and he will NOT be simply replaced by some newcomer. The bullpen will take a hit with his departure.

Are you saying O'Day has no history of injury?

That isn't correct.

I agree that's a better comparison, though it's worth mentioning that he was toast by age 34.

Also, though the style is similar, O'Day has markedly better statistics across the board:

Bradford: 2180 BF, 138 ERA+, 1.288 WHIP, 5.5 K/9

O'Day: 1614 BF, 180 ERA+, 1.004 WHIP, 8.5 K/9

O'Day has been better but when looking at raw numbers like WHIP and K rate you have to take into account the differing offensive environments.

Big fan of O'Day. I love the contrast of the submarine style with our power arms in the pen. Would love to see them resign him. No more than two years though. He'll be 33 this year and he did have hip surgery back in 2011 I believe. What's the going rate for an effective set-up reliever who will give you 70+ innings per year?

Big fan of O'Day. I love the contrast of the submarine style with our power arms in the pen. Would love to see them resign him. No more than two years though. He'll be 33 this year and he did have hip surgery back in 2011 I believe. What's the going rate for an effective set-up reliever who will give you 70+ innings per year?

Then you do not want to resign him. He will get Three minimum. Sorry.

Archived