Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

The whole idea was more of a whim fueled by White Russians.

Interesting thing to try in a video game, probably not in real life.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The most I have ever been able to coax out of O'Day while playing MLB The Show is 4 innings. For those not in the know, O'Day is nearly unhittable in the right hands in The Show.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The Royals starters had very similar results to us a better ERA but the play in a better pitchers park and they had even less innning pitched from the starters then we did.

We still need to add a starter but no matter if we add a number 1 or a back end of the rotation the team will not improve if Tilman, Gonzo, and Gausman pitch better.

WE need a good starter. Not a great one. Just one better than league average. And preferably, a lefty.

If O'Day leaves, where does he rank all-time for Oriole relievers? He's four for four in great seasons and just off the top of my head I can't think of anyone who's obviously better. Gregg Olson I guess, though he was a bit before my fandom. Anyone else?

BJ Ryan deserves some mention, and if you go back far enough you can talk about somebody like Dick Hall. Jesse Orosco had four very strong years before one subpar one. But I think O'Day is the best in Orioles history.

I don't think there's much evidence to support your theory The Royals starters had a 4.34 ERA, the Orioles 4.53. Not much of a difference.

I agree that both the Orioles and the Royals had weak starting pitching last year, in terms of both high ERAs and low IPs. My point was that the Royals, with a weak rotation that included journeymen like Guthrie, Chris Young and at times Joe Blanton, appeared to have a strategy of trying to get 5 or 6 innings out of them and then relying on their deep bullpen. The Orioles, by contrast, started the season with what appeared to be a surplus of reliable if unspectacular starters (until Norris imploded and then departed) and went to the pen early not because of any strategy but because their starters, even if you include Chen, couldn't get deep into games.

But getting back to the topic of this thread, I would agree that the Royals and Orioles have this in common: a reliable (and flexible, in terms of taking an inning most days or going a little longer less frequently) non-closer like O'Day should be more valuable, other things being equal, to these teams than to teams that get more innings out of their starters.

My credible source tells me that Darren O'Day and the Orioles have agreed on a deal and it will be announced shortly. I am told that it's a four year deal. This is my same source that gave me the information to tell you about the Tommy Hunter trade to the Cubs before any media outlets even reported it.

Thanks for passing that along.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My credible source tells me that Darren O'Day and the Orioles have agreed on a deal and it will be announced shortly. I am told that it's a four year deal. This is my same source that gave me the information to tell you about the Tommy Hunter trade to the Cubs before any media outlets even reported it.

Viviano suggested that he thought the Orioles would retain him a few moments ago.

What happens to Britton, will they trade him for prospects or move him to the rotation ?

Dan expressly said that Britton would not start and Britton said it was to late if that were the idea. No one has ever mentioned it as a possibility to him.

Wow, I have such mixed feelings about this (if true). I love O'Day and welcome him back...but I see so many bigger holes in the team. I guess they are going for a Royals strategy with mediocre starters and an elite back-end bullpen. Maybe the rumors about a payroll bump are true.

Wow, I have such mixed feelings about this (if true). I love O'Day and welcome him back...but I see so many bigger holes in the team. I guess they are going for a Royals strategy with mediocre starters and an elite back-end bullpen. Maybe the rumors about a payroll bump are true.

I can't imagine there wouldn't be a payroll bump if we are keeping him. We still have quite a few holes. I really hope we aren't slotting Worley in every 5th day. We also only have 1 real outfielder....again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What happens to Britton, will they trade him for prospects or move him to the rotation ?
They'll explore trade possibilities. If they get a good offer they'll trade him IMO. If not he's our closer this year. They'll trade him at the deadline or next winter because he will be too expensive.

We shall see.They were saying by Sunday.Could still be one more push by the Nationals.

Archived