Os Sign O'Day for 4 Years - It's official

Nevermore

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Darren O'Day official: $31M, $1M deferred each year. Computed actual value: $30,419,217, 4 yrs</p>— Jon Heyman (@JonHeymanCBS) <a href="

">December 11, 2015</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

After seeing the multi year deals given to some relievers, O'day is looking like a bargain. I know he signed for 4 years but look at these deals:

Shawn Kelly 3/16

Soria 3/25

Axford 2/10

Sipp 3/18

Madson 3/22

So for the first 3 years O'day is going to make around the same as Madson, Soria, and Sipp. While only making 1-2 million more than Axford and Kelly. A good signing that's looking better and better every time a new reliever signs.

Dan Connolly?Verified account*‏@danconnollysun

Here's breakdown on Darren O'Day's 4-yr, $31M contract with #Orioles: 2016: $5M; 2017: $6M; 2018: $8M; 2019: $8M. 2020-23: $1M each yr

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Diggin it. So he's only costs $5 mil this year. And because of the deferred money he can ease into retirement as an Oriole if he wants to. I want to meet the man one day at a fan function. :P

So for the first 3 years O'day is going to make around the same as Madson, Soria, and Sipp. While only making 1-2 million more than Axford and Kelly. A good signing that's looking better and better every time a new reliever signs.

Same thing with Ubaldo. Strip the name and look at the numbers this year:

Salary: $12.25 mil

12-10, 32 GS, 4.11 ERA, 1.359 WHIP, 8.9 H/9, 1.0 HR/9, 3.3 BB/9, 8.2 K/9, 2.6 pWAR

If he can somehow stay like that for two more years we've got no problem there. Amazing what the price of a win is now.

Dan Connolly?Verified account*‏@danconnollysun

Here's breakdown on Darren O'Day's 4-yr, $31M contract with #Orioles: 2016: $5M; 2017: $6M; 2018: $8M; 2019: $8M. 2020-23: $1M each yr

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

This effectively reduces the burden of the Wieters contract to $13M this year. If we sign a major free agent like Davis or Upton, I expect that $13M to come out of their first year take and be reapportioned into later years, thereby spreading the cost of Wieters accepting the QO over five years or more.

Wow. That is a pretty team friendly contract IMO. Only $5 mm this year? No doubt in my mind that ODay could have gotten more by waiting and signing somewhere else. Nice deal Dan!

WELCOME BACK O'DAY!

I really like it. We took the risk with the QO to Wieters and it backfired, so now we account for it. Backloading contracts is one way as Matt's 16 million will come off this year and we have more space next season. Also, if we decide to trade Darren as we have young studs in the 'pen and he is still pitching well, we aren't on the hook for the biggest part of his contract.

Same thing with Ubaldo. Strip the name and look at the numbers this year:

Salary: $12.25 mil

12-10, 32 GS, 4.11 ERA, 1.359 WHIP, 8.9 H/9, 1.0 HR/9, 3.3 BB/9, 8.2 K/9, 2.6 pWAR

If he can somehow stay like that for two more years we've got no problem there. Amazing what the price of a win is now.

To me inconsistent means you get a averageish starter who is sometimes awesome, and that's pretty cool. But I get the feeling that, to most fans, inconsistent means you could pitch great all the time but you're just a loser who can't put it all together.

To me inconsistent means you get a averageish starter who is sometimes awesome, and that's pretty cool. But I get the feeling that, to most fans, inconsistent means you could pitch great all the time but you're just a loser who can't put it all together.

I think in a big game, Ubaldo could shut a team down.

Change "sometimes awesome" to "sometimes awesome, sometimes a train wreck" and I agree with you completely. I have zero issue with that type of pitcher as your #3 or #4. That was the old AJ Burnett model.

Change "sometimes awesome" to "sometimes awesome, sometimes a train wreck" and I agree with you completely. I have zero issue with that type of pitcher as your #3 or #4. That was the old AJ Burnett model.

That describes Felix Hernandez last year. Except he was awesome more so.

Archived