Making "No" Sound Like "Yes"

Number5

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Dan is "stunned" at some of the smart men making bad deals in free agency. Because almost all of them are. Top Free Agent Deals. They often turn out awful even with the inflation of compensation and supposed WAR per FA dollar. Most FA (top end) assembled teams turn out to be pretty bad. Just because everyone else is doing it wrong doesn't mean we have to start.

Weams posted this in the Fanfest thread, but I think it deserves its own thread. It is important.

Spreading out the increase in salaries that the Davis signing represents over 8 years is not allocating those funds. I think we would all expect payrolls to rise that much in 8 years just on normal inflation alone.

I have had a very positive outlook all off-season, and have liked what the team was doing... until now. This is irritating. This basically says that, no we aren't getting any of the Davis money allocated towards other players if Chris doesn't sign, only saying in a way that tries to sound like a yes. Who are they kidding?

[video=youtube;_4e8iAofnrw]

I'm sorry, but DD's comment here is so disheartening, it has basically turned my view of the off-season and the Orioles 2016 outlook 180 degrees.

Am I reading too much into this?

Yes I think so.

Last year they talked about groundwork for deals and then had to overpay months later when they revisited the Travis Snider deal. Duquette is very vague.

I thought Travis was going to be great. It ended up that Pittsburgh decided that Bastardo was better than Matusz. Last offseason was all about losing Cruz and Nick and nothing else.

I think Dan is "stunned" at some of the smart men making bad deals in free agency. Because almost all of them are. Top Free Agent Deals. They often turn out awful even with the inflation of compensation and supposed WAR per FA dollar. Most FA (top end) assembled teams turn out to be pretty bad. Just because everyone else is doing it wrong doesn't mean we have to start.

I agree. Gosh it's week and a half till Christmas and some fans seem to be in a

panic mode. Merry Christmas to all.

Vlads deferred money is added to the payroll. The rest of the deferrals are subtracted.

2016 Payroll Estimate

1) 16.3m Jones - CF

2) 15.8m Wieters - C

3) 13m Jimenez - SP1

4) 12.5m Hardy - SS

5) 9.1m Trumbo - 1B

6) 6.9m Britton - RP2

7) 6.2m Tillman - SP2

8) 6m O'Day - RP2

9) 5.9m Machado - 3B

10) 4.9m Gonzalez - SP3

11) 3.4m Matusz - RP3

12) 2.6m Worley - SP4

13) 1.5m Flaherty - UIF

14) 1.5m Vladimir Guerrero (deferred compensation)

15) 1.3m Reimold - LF

16) 1.1m Brach - RP4

17) .53m Gausman - SP5

18) .52m Schoop - 2B

19) .52m Joseph - BC

20) .52m Roe - RP5

21) .52m McFarland - RP6

22) .52m Paredes - DH/OF

23) .52m Hoes - RF

24) .51m Givens - RP7

25) .50M Rickard - 4th OF

26) .50m Mancini - 1B/DH

27) .50m Bundy - RP7 (DL)

Sub Total 113.66m of earned salary

Minus 2.25m deferred from Jimenez

Minus 2m deferred from Hardy(best guess)

Minus 1M deferred from O?Day

Total 108.41m salaries to be paid in 2016

Of course. Somehow those wires got crossed. Thanks.

I agree. Gosh it's week and a half till Christmas and some fans seem to be in a

panic mode. Merry Christmas to all.

I don't think it's panic mode. I think we're witnessing a reflexive response by the Orioles fanbase to the commencement of lowered expectations season. It's starting early this year.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

There are lot of people who think Theo really is smart and not acting dumb.

I think Theo is really smart. Theo added by subtracting from his competitor. And he has all the money and one hundred and eight trailing years of fan fortitude to support it.

Yes I think so.

The question was if Davis doesn't sign, will the money that Davis would have been paid be available to pay someone else instead. The answer was "Yes... but not all this year, and not all to one person." That means the answer is actually "No," doesn't it? If they don't sign or trade for a guy that can reasonably have the same impact on a lineup that Davis can, or at least close to it, then the answer to the question is obviously "No."

I have long been supportive of the team's efforts and don't go around complaining willy-nilly, but this just has aggravated me. I would be less upset if DD had just said, "No, we really aren't prepared to spend that kind of money in the free agent market for a new player. We like our guys. Besides, our plan includes making use of the #14 draft pick." It is the trying to couch the obvious "no" answer as if it were a "yes" answer that is disturbing me. Sorry.

The question was if Davis doesn't sign, will the money that Davis would have been paid be available to pay someone else instead. The answer was "Yes... but not all this year, and not all to one person." That means the answer is actually "No," doesn't it? If they don't sign or trade for a guy that can reasonably have the same impact on a lineup that Davis can, or at least close to it, then the answer to the question is obviously "No."

I have long been supportive of the team's efforts and don't go around complaining willy-nilly, but this just has aggravated me. I would be less upset if DD had just said, "No, we really aren't prepared to spend that kind of money in the free agent market for a new player. We like our guys. Besides, our plan includes making use of the #14 draft pick." It is the trying to couch the obvious "no" answer as if it were a "yes" answer that is disturbing me. Sorry.

I think in layman's terms what you are saying is that Davis is a special case and the Orioles have no one else targeted that would provoke that type of offer. This year. It's not like they would need to find someone to take that confederate money should Davis not choose to.

I think in layman's terms what you are saying is that Davis is a special case and the Orioles have no one else targeted that would provoke that type of offer. This year. It's not like they would need to find someone to take that confederate money should Davis not choose to.
Nor would another agent be able to say "You were giving 154 to Davis, give it to us."

Archived