Making "No" Sound Like "Yes"

Number5

Weams posted this in the Fanfest thread, but I think it deserves its own thread. It is important.

Dan said that Davis is going to be tough but they are trying. He also said the money they have offered him would be available to be spent on others over the next 8 years. Not all on one player. And probably not all this year.

Spreading out the increase in salaries that the Davis signing represents over 8 years is not allocating those funds. I think we would all expect payrolls to rise that much in 8 years just on normal inflation alone.

I have had a very positive outlook all off-season, and have liked what the team was doing... until now. This is irritating. This basically says that, no we aren't getting any of the Davis money allocated towards other players if Chris doesn't sign, only saying in a way that tries to sound like a yes. Who are they kidding?

[video=youtube;_4e8iAofnrw]

I'm sorry, but DD's comment here is so disheartening, it has basically turned my view of the off-season and the Orioles 2016 outlook 180 degrees.

Am I reading too much into this?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, you're not. It's disheartening...very. I was starting to get the feeling it was Davis or bust. Doesn't seem like PA is interested at all in improving the on-field product. Crush is a fan favorite. Keeping him keeps tickets sales somewhat in check. Very disappointed but not surprised. So basically, the Orioles have $150 million to spend over an 8 year span and they expect fans to just sit back and smile? Frankly, just signing Davis doesn't do that. And you can pretty much kiss Manny goodbye if this is true.

No, you're not. It's disheartening...very. I was starting to get the feeling it was Davis or bust. Doesn't seem like PA is interested at all in improving the on-field product. Crush is a fan favorite. Keeping him keeps tickets sales somewhat in check. Very disappointed but not surprised. So basically, the Orioles have $150 million to spend over an 8 year span and they expect fans to just sit back and smile? Frankly, just signing Davis doesn't do that. And you can pretty much kiss Manny goodbye if this is true.

No, actually the way I read it is that the Orioles will be spreading the $22 million annual salary increase we would have had with a Davis signing over 8 years. If we were actually spreading an additional $150 million over 8 years, I wouldn't be upset, since that is what the Davis signing would do. It looks like he is talking about a $3 million annual increase in salaries to me.

No, actually the way I read it is that the Orioles will be spreading the $22 million annual salary increase we would have had with a Davis signing over 8 years. If we were actually spreading an additional $150 million over 8 years, I wouldn't be upset, since that is what the Davis signing would do. It looks like he is talking about a $3 million annual increase in salaries to me.

That's what I meant. Davis $150m over 8 years. Roughly a little under $20m a year in added payroll. So just guessing, the Orioles figure to be in the $110m range for yearly salaries. That's a joke and no way can fans expect them to contend year in and year out with tha. Sure, we may catch lighting in a bottle now and then.

Archived