Making "No" Sound Like "Yes"

Number5

If DD was talking about spending that kind of money on a player, which is pretty close to what we would have paid Davis, there would be no reason whatsoever to throw in caveats about spreading the money out over 8 years and not all to one player. The very fact that he said those things makes it pretty clear to me that there is no intention to spend the Davis money on a real replacement. Hey, I would love to be reading this wrong, but his words tell me otherwise.
If he is negotiating with Upton or Gordon he is not going to assure them in the media that they can go as high as 7/150M.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he is negotiating with Upton or Gordon he is not going to assure them in the media that they can go as high as 7/150M.

So you think it is all a negotiating ploy to keep the cost down on Upton? I guess it could be possible, but upsetting your fanbase at Fanfest sure seems like a bizarre time and place to do it.

I think you guys are confused personally. It seems pretty clear to me that he is saying that the money they would have committed to Davis over the 8 years would be allocated in other places, but the contracts wouldn't necessarily be given to one player or even this year.

In other words, the commitment is $150M. That money could be given out with a 3/30 and 4/60 this year, a 2/20 next year, and a 3/40 two years from now. That would be $150M.

No where does he refer to the AAV of the deal and say that a single year of AAV is what would be allocated over multiple years. That doesn't even really make sense if you think about it.

I really think this is much ado over little.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not confused this is exactly the way I see it too. I think some people prefer to be confused because it lets them continue to gripe.

So you think it is all a negotiating ploy to keep the cost down on Upton? I guess it could be possible, but upsetting your fanbase at Fanfest sure seems like a bizarre time and place to do it.

I think another clue regarding Upton is how often we are hearing now "we are after a left handed bat". To me this will be the excuse of why they didn't go all in for him.

I like to stay optimistic but this looks like the beginning of so many other off seasons. One excuse after the other why they can't commit to a difference maker in the free agent market

I think you guys are confused personally. It seems pretty clear to me that he is saying that the money they would have committed to Davis over the 8 years would be allocated in other places, but the contracts wouldn't necessarily be given to one player or even this year.

In other words, the commitment is $150M. That money could be given out with a 3/30 and 4/60 this year, a 2/20 next year, and a 3/40 two years from now. That would be $150M.

No where does he refer to the AAV of the deal and say that a single year of AAV is what would be allocated over multiple years. That doesn't even really make sense if you think about it.

I really think this is much ado over little.

Again, if Davis signed, the $150 would be spread over seven years, not all doled out this year. When he is talking about spreading this year's money out, he is not talking about $150 million. There is really no reason to mention spreading the money out over time if he was talking about the $150 million, which is obviously spread out over time in any case. He stressed it. It means something. Hey, I hope I am reading it wrong, but his words tell me otherwise.

I think another clue regarding Upton is how often we are hearing now "we are after a left handed bat". To me this will be the excuse of why they didn't go all in for him.

I like to stay optimistic but this looks like the beginning of so many other off seasons. One excuse after the other why they can't commit to a difference maker in the free agent market

Giants, LAA, STL also have an interest in Upton. He could cost a lot.

Please stop confounding signing Davis with devotion to a good on field product. He is a year removed from a suspension and a Mendoza line batting average. He is going into his 30s. This could be the next Ryan Howard deal. His contract could well block a young slugger down the road.

There's been enough gnashing of teeth on JJ Hardy I wouldn't want to see the board when Davis struggles. And Lord he can struggle.

Giants, LAA, STL also have an interest in Upton. He could cost a lot.

Exactly, definitely not going to get into a bidding war for a legitimate difference maker in free agency. I guess we can all wait for the planets to align and we get another Tejada situation. A top free agent with no real teams bidding for them.

If we somehow do end up with Chris Davis that will be the only reason.

I just have no idea where you came up with the part where it is spreading just "this year's money out". I don't see that anywhere. It isn't in Weams quote. It isn't in Roch's stuff. It isn't anywhere that I can see. From what I can tell you, you've taken the "not all to one player or in one year" and reversed the meaning to be one year's salary. He didn't say that unless I'm missing something. If I did, please link it for me.

When have you ever seen a $150 million contract paid out in one year. There is zero reason to talk about spreading the mocey out 0 mentioning it multiple times throughout the day per weams - if he is talking about the full $150 million. It goes without saying that the $150 million would be spread out over time. Come on, when have you ever, even once, seen any GM talk in those terms. Never. He is stressing spreading the money out over time. Common sense tells us that he isn't talking about the $150 million. If Davis signed, we would not be spending $150 million on him this year.

Archived