SI: Don't give Chris Davis More than 5 Years

FanSince88

http://www.si.com/mlb/2015/12/14/whats-he-really-worth-chris-davis-free-agent-value

"If Davis is struggling to make contact now, when his bat speed is near its peak, what happens when his bat inevitably slows down with age? The answer is unlikely to be a gradual decline and more likely to be a quick collapse in his value akin to what we?ve seen from Ryan Howard, another poor defensive first baseman who has made contact with just 66% of the pitches at which he has swung in his career; Howard has been below replacement level since his age-32 season. Looking back at Davis?s projection above: The 4.4 bWAR for the 2016 season seems fair relative to the 5.2 bWAR he put up this past season, but the 2.4 bWAR at age 34 seems incredibly optimistic. . .I see Davis as most realistically worth little more than $100 million over the next five years; any contract that greatly exceeds either that term or total value as a bad investment."

Not sure I would characterize Davis' defense as "poor," but other than that this article makes a great point.

I think this is a big reason why Davis and Boras are hearing lots of crickets out there. Nobody wants to be stuck with him when he's 35 and hitting .190 again.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

His defense isn't "poor" but it isn't "great" either as I've seen it characterized. Or, he's a great athlete. Yeah, he's a good athlete and more athletic than most first basemen, but before the last two seasons defensively people may remember he had trouble catching the ball at 1B for a stretch of games. In the OF, he looks entirely unathletic at times.

Davis is not a five tool player.

His defense isn't "poor" but it isn't "great" either as I've seen it characterized. Or, he's a great athlete. Yeah, he's a good athlete and more athletic than most first basemen, but before the last two seasons defensively people may remember he had trouble catching the ball at 1B for a stretch of games. In the OF, he looks entirely unathletic at times.

Davis reminds me a lot of pre 2012 ryan howard. Good, but then he got injured and he stunk.

. Some of these Davis posts make me laugh and this is one of them as nobody I know of that knows anything at all about baseball has said Davis is a five tool player - that is absurd for you to even make such a silly declaration! I mean you do know "speed" is one of the five tools , so yeah Chris Davis is not a speedy base stealer or ranging outfielder but how many 50 homer guys fit that description anyway? Give me a break! Egads!!

. Some of these Davis posts make me laugh and this is one of them as nobody I know of that knows anything at all about baseball has said Davis is a five tool player - that is absurd for you to even make such a silly declaration! I mean you do know "speed" is one of the five tools , so yeah Chris Davis is not a speedy base stealer or ranging outfielder but how many 50 homer guys fit that description anyway? Give me a break! Egads!!

Haha I think you need to closely re-read what he said and then re-assess.

Read the context of my first post. As I said, it was in response to many around here who call him a great athlete. You noted speed, but what tools does he have? He's had an above average glove the last two years but it's below average for his career.

He's a one tool player. I'll bet you can name it. He's a true three outcome hitter. Apparently, you're willing to overpay for that. To me, that's silly.

Read the context of my first post. As I said, it was in response to many around here who call him a great athlete. You noted speed, but what tools does he have? He's had an above average glove the last two years but it's below average for his career.

He's a one tool player. I'll bet you can name it. He's a true three outcome hitter. Apparently, you're willing to overpay for that. To me, that's silly.

I think a 5 year deal is pushing it. But I can understand why the O's did it

I agree with you here, except the one tool player part. He is clearly a two tool player as he also has an awesome throwing arm. At first base, that does him very little good. As an outfielder it is a real strength, the problem is that he is an awful outfielder. But CD is a two tool player. Power and arm.

Yeah as it was just as silly not to pay Nelson Cruz cause so many Nostradsmus types here were predicting he wasn't worth it and so if not for Davis they would have had next to no offense last season. If we don't resign Davis this team will be in last place for good in the division as they will rely on Trimbo and probably some other retread combination and get owned by Toronto and swept by Minnesota again !

Archived