webbrick2010's Mike Leake threads

webbrick2010

And it is rather shocking to look at this listing of the WARs of the 2009 first round draft picks...yes, Strasburg with 14.4, AJ Pollock with a 14.8, Leake does have a 12.5, but most are 2, -1, didn't make it, and then down the list comes this 37.9 WAR figure and I just started laughing...it was so out of place.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/draft/?query_type=year_round&year_ID=2009&draft_round=1&draft_type=junreg

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The thread title should be "We should have PICKED Mike Leake." What a disaster the 2009 draft was. Hobgood for us, rather than Leake, or Shelby Miller or Drew Storen or even Zack Wheeler, and certainly not that Trout guy picked at #25 in the 2009 first round who has turned out pretty well I've heard. There is a bunch of luck involved at getting good players, but we had none of it during that draft, for sure.

Thank goodness for Mychal Givens converting to pitcher. At least we weren't skunked!

I will give Ashur Tolliver a puncher's chance of getting to the majors for at least a cup of coffee some day. And maybe Michael Ohlman, though it won't be with us.

have signed Mike Leake

5yrs/80 million for an extreme GB innings eating pitcher with no injury issues and no loss of a draft pick

Cardinals are so well run

Nobody else makes any sense for the O's

Hopefully we won't waste money on Gallardo or Kazmir

Save the money, we are losing 90 games no matter what we do for the rest of the offseason (and that includes wasting a boatload on Davis)

If this guy got 5/80... would you give Chen 5/100? I might consider it now.

I think Chen's a more talented pitcher. And he's "ours" so to speak.

Turns out some of the most appealing FAs this year are Orioles.

And I have a strong preference for signing our own if at all possible.

Frankly, the Leake signing doesn't thrill me - so I'm kinda glad he's off the table. I would prefer Chen, and strongly prefer Gallardo.

have signed Mike Leake

5yrs/80 million for an extreme GB innings eating pitcher with no injury issues and no loss of a draft pick

Cardinals are so well run

Nobody else makes any sense for the O's

Hopefully we won't waste money on Gallardo or Kazmir

Save the money, we are losing 90 games no matter what we do for the rest of the offseason (and that includes wasting a boatload on Davis)

Had you personally come out in favor of Leake before he was no longer an option for the Orioles?

Giving you the chance to praise the Cardinals, trash the Os, thrash two of the three remaining moves the Orioles might make prophetically and predict a 90 + loss season all in one?

Merry Christmas.

Woah, Woah, Woah...slow your roll. When has webbrick ever been hyperbolic? Next you'll be accusing him of constant negative comments and a sky-is-falling outlook.

Was the Rick of the Web happy when we had finished the third of the three CY young winners off in Detroit?

So this difference in having no chance to compete and losing 90 games and having a chance is Mike Leake?

I think you drastically overestimate the guy.

Like absurdly so.

Mike Leake is a slighly better, more durable Miguel Gonzalez.

I think the issue we're seeing for the Orioles, is short of spending 80 million dollars, they can't assuredly, and strongly, upgrade the rotation.

My greatest frustration with the Orioles is not any one decision, in most cases you can make a reasonable argument for why they acted the way they did. My frustration is the body of work. The Orioles always manage to come up just short. If the Orioles missed out on Leake but sign another credible starter, I would be fine with that. Historically though we don't do that. Let's see how this all plays out but I'm starting to wonder just what player the Orioles think has value that actually cost something? It feels like this is headed in the direction where we sign whatever anyone else did not want and then go on complaining about how much the guys we did want costs.

I'm more worried that they'll sign Gallardo or another middling-player with a qualifying offer than that they won't sign anyone. DD has proven that he's willing to sacrifice draft picks in order to save money upfront, and it would be just like him to wait for Gallardo or Ian Kennedy's price to fall because nobody wants to give up their first round pick for him.

So this difference in having no chance to compete and losing 90 games and having a chance is Mike Leake?

I think you drastically overestimate the guy.

Like absurdly so.

Mike Leake is a slighly better, more durable Miguel Gonzalez.

I think the issue we're seeing for the Orioles, is short of spending 80 million dollars, they can't assuredly, and strongly, upgrade the rotation.

Bingo.

Best bet for the O's is probably to sign Kazmir to a 4 year deal. Probably for 45-60 mil. Is it an overpay? Heck yes. But it isn't as severe of an overpay or overcommittment as some of these other second tier guys. And you keep your 1st round pick plus get Chen's comp pick on top of that.

Bingo.

Best bet for the O's is probably to sign Kazmir to a 4 year deal. Probably for 45-60 mil. Is it an overpay? Heck yes. But it isn't as severe of an overpay or overcommittment as some of these other second tier guys. And you keep your 1st round pick plus get Chen's comp pick on top of that.

I would be a fan of this.

Not sure I wanna see Doug Fister and his mid 80's fastball here, I hate the idea of giving up a pick for Gallardo even more. Kazmir seems like the most logical guy who can upgrade your rotation while not costing you a pick.

This organizations future is dependent on finding a way to improve the player development system, the best way to do that quickly, is to infuse it with better talent. Better picks= better talent. Improving the farm system is paramount to the long term health of this franchise. If the situation we find ourselves in now should teach us anything, it is that without a consistent talent pipeline, this organization (or really any) is going to struggle to compete. To me Gallardo is not the type of guy worth giving up the pick, not even close.

It take the O's weeks to work out deals for O'day and even a chump change 7 million dollar contract for Kim

What is wrong with this organization.

I know Angelos, his whole life is to draw out every minor transaction into some spectacular litigious masterpiece of contract law.

So completely frustrating to be a fan of the O's

Pity the folks who actually work in the wearhouse.

Archived