Not so fast when calling Manny a 30m/yr player

wildcard

Machado made it to arbitration years without an extension. He rode out 3 years of being grossly underpaid. His reward is he can now make millions of dollars and then make an absurd amount of money in 4 years.

He doesn't have to worry about injury. He's projected to earn 6 million this season. That's enough to retire on and never go to work again. He's no longer financially vulnerable.

Last year he was coming off 2 season ending knee injuries. He doesn't know how to do anything professionally except play baseball. He was "only" making around 500K. His livelihood was at stake.

We chose to not kick in an extra million as a show of good will to a financially vulnerable person. Is it the O's responsbility to do that? Absolutely not. I'm just saying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Machado made it to arbitration years without an extension. He rode out 3 years of being grossly underpaid. His reward is he can now make millions of dollars and then make an absurd amount of money in 4 years.

He doesn't have to worry about injury. He's projected to earn 6 million this season. That's enough to retire on and never go to work again. He's no longer financially vulnerable.

Last year he was coming off 2 season ending knee injuries. He doesn't know how to do anything professionally except play baseball. He was "only" making around 500K. His livelihood was at stake.

We chose to not kick in an extra million as a show of good will to a financially vulnerable person. Is it the O's responsbility to do that? Absolutely not. I'm just saying.

JfX8Rig.jpg

HIxtcaY.png

Mike Trout should still be in Arb years. So of course he shouldn't have made 30 million yet.

Correct me if I'm wrong here. Did Miggy ever reach free agency? I don't believe he did.

Pujols didn't reach free agency until his 30s.

A-Rod's contract is old news and not relevant in the current market.

Machado will hit free agency at 26.

If he doesn't extend, as Stanton, Cabrera and Trout all did. So what point are you trying to make? I think we all know that if Manny doesn't extend and has three more seasons similar to 2015, he'll be earning $30mm/season. What we don't know is whether he'll stay healthy that whole time and continue to perform as he did in 2015.

If it becomes clear that Manny isn't going to extend with the O's, I hope they make him play short, dump Hardy to whoever will take him, and sign a decent third baseman. Might as well maximize his value while you have him on your roster.

Or, even better, trade him now before he hits the market. For the love of God, let's at least get something for him before he puts on pinstripes, unlike Mussina. Make someone else empty out their farm system for a change.

If it becomes clear that Manny isn't going to extend with the O's, I hope they make him play short, dump Hardy to whoever will take him, and sign a decent third baseman. Might as well maximize his value while you have him on your roster.

Or, even better, trade him now before he hits the market. For the love of God, let's at least get something for him before he puts on pinstripes, unlike Mussina. Make someone else empty out their farm system for a change.

Or we could just show him more love. So that he WANTS to stay in Baltimore.

Manny was already pretty well set for life, with the $5.2mm signing bonus we paid him in 2010. However, I agree his bargaining position now is the best it has ever been.

He'll want an opt out. Game over.

Just to make it completely clear. Any comment I ever make about a player WANTING to stay in Baltimore because of love, Respect, city, fans is ALWAYS facetious. Buck, maybe. Money? Always.

If he doesn't extend, as Stanton, Cabrera and Trout all did. So what point are you trying to make? I think we all know that if Manny doesn't extend and has three more seasons similar to 2015, he'll be earning $30mm/season. What we don't know is whether he'll stay healthy that whole time and continue to perform as he did in 2015.

I was responding to the OP saying that Manny wasn't worth 30 million a year because it took other players to long to make 30 million.

What he ignores is that they weren't FA's at age 26.

Manny was already pretty well set for life, with the $5.2mm signing bonus we paid him in 2010. However, I agree his bargaining position now is the best it has ever been.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out. Puts a pretty huge damper in my thesis. But like you said his bargaining position is basically is as best it's been.

I don't think paying him league minimum (pretty much) for three years was the best way to keep a player like him happy. Especially after he verbally expressed discontent with his salary.

I didn't realize that. Thanks for pointing that out. Puts a pretty huge damper in my thesis. But like you said his bargaining position is basically is as best it's been.

I don't think paying him league minimum (pretty much) for three years was the best way to keep a player like him happy. Especially after he verbally expressed discontent with his salary.

Then he should be upset with the system. Not the team.

Baseball players don't often have, uh, let's say awareness.

Exactly. I cannot fault the O's for taking full advantage of the pre arb system.

Yet at the same time I don't think Machado gives **** about it being the system. Any player who's underpaid by about 30 million dollars tires of the system.

Archived