Assistant Hitting Coach (Mark Quinn)

weams

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9EvZstgxmJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 Homers in MLB debut.

That video is PRICELESS!!! I got a thrill watching that second homer!!!. We ALL wish for a moment in life just like that one! Thanks for sharing!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/9EvZstgxmJs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

2 Homers in MLB debut.

Bert Campaneris also hit 2 home runs in his Major League career debut.

In fact, Campy hit a home run on the first pitch that he ever saw in the majors (I read that on the back of one of his old baseball cards when I was a kid.)

And Campaneris' 2-home run debut was for another Kansas City team ...... the Kansas City Athletics.

aaih153.jpg

Because he didn't walk a ton as a player, do you guys really think that he is going to instruct our hitters to be more aggressive than patient?

If we hire a pitching coach that had a crappy curveball does that mean he is going to have a negative impact on our pitcher's curveball?

Makes no sense

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Because he didn't walk a ton as a player, do you guys really think that he is going to instruct our hitters to be more aggressive than patient?

If we hire a pitching coach that had a crappy curveball does that mean he is going to have a negative impact on our pitcher's curveball?

Makes no sense

Better to publicly and angrily infer things with no basis in fact than admit you just don't know and are withholding judgment. If you don't have an opinion prior to the facts how do you know if the facts are true?

Better to publicly and angrily infer things with no basis in fact than admit you just don't know and are withholding judgment. If you don't have an opinion prior to the facts how do you know if the facts are true?

I call B.S. Where in this thread is anyone angrily inferring anything? It is humorous, as you seemingly pointed out, that a team that is somewhat notorious for not drawing walks hired this guy as an assistant hitting coach. I found your story about his quote and the fireworks funny, not an indictment of the guy's hiring by the O's.

I think the hitting coach doesn't matter very much, much less the assistant hitting coach. I think Quinn is likely to spend most of his time loading balls into the indoor pitching machine and throwing extra BP.

I call B.S. Where in this thread is anyone angrily inferring anything? It is humorous, as you seemingly pointed out, that a team that is somewhat notorious for not drawing walks hired this guy as an assistant hitting coach. I found your story about his quote and the fireworks funny, not an indictment of the guy's hiring by the O's.

I think the hitting coach doesn't matter very much, much less the assistant hitting coach. I think Quinn is likely to spend most of his time loading balls into the indoor pitching machine and throwing extra BP.

I was just getting in ahead of the coming firestorm. I'm sure you were here for the 112-page thread that accused Presley of not preparing the Oriole hitters to be consistently above average with RISP.

I was just getting in ahead of the coming firestorm. I'm sure you were here for the 112-page thread that accused Presley of not preparing the Oriole hitters to be consistently above average with RISP.

When the O's hired Jim Presley as hitting coach, I was against it. As a hitter, Presley never figured it out and had a very short career. He was a hit a home run or strikeout batter and never adjusted to the majors as a hitter. Presley did have some successes in Baltimore, but for the most part, the O's were clones of Presley. Every year that he was coach, the O's were near the top in HRs and in the bottom half in OBP, walks, and strikeouts. To be fair, that was probably more the type of players we had and not Presley. So maybe Presley was the right guy because he understood the type of hitter that the O's had when he was coach because it was similar to his own hitting. Would I have liked a different coach when Presley was here? Yes. But the O's were successful in making the playoffs when Presley was here, so it somehow worked.

I also have my reservations about Quinn being a hitting coach, but we will just have to wait and see. If the players become Quinn clones, then maybe what the O's should do is rotate someone from the minors for their debut each game. Then when the guy hits a couple of home runs in the game, they send him back down and bring up someone else.

Buddy of Brady.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Quinn: "I've kind of learned how 2 approach failure a bit better. I know a lot more about swinging...Hitting is a selective aggressiveness."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

">January 7, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Quinn said part of his focus will be cutting down Ks."How do we get to 2 strikes? How are we putting ourselves in a position to strike out?"</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/01/mark-quinn-talks-about-his-new-position-with-orioles.html

Buddy of Brady.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Quinn: "I've kind of learned how 2 approach failure a bit better. I know a lot more about swinging...Hitting is a selective aggressiveness."</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Quinn said part of his focus will be cutting down Ks."How do we get to 2 strikes? How are we putting ourselves in a position to strike out?"</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2016/01/mark-quinn-talks-about-his-new-position-with-orioles.html

Hmm, sounds very Crowley like. I actually wouldn't mind a Crowley redux. I have a feeling that Quinn will act as a sort of strength and conditioning coach also.

I'm not sure that there is any correlation between player skills and coaching/manager skills for the same individual. Ted Williams was a Hall of Fame player. Earl Weaver, umm, wasn't.

We have limited information to go on, in this case and most coaching/managerial hires almost nothing. So the natural tendency is to extrapolate based on other information and feelings and guesses, no matter how remotely connected.

Charlie Lau was a hitting guru, an almost mystical presence in the 70s and 80s, and his playing career consisted of a .683 OPS as a backup catcher. Walt Hriniak was another top hitting coach of my younger days whose playing career was a 25-for-99 run with zero extra base hits in 47 games.

Archived