Three members of the starting rotation are free agents after 2017

Frobby

Just an observation. Jimenez, Tillman and Gonzalez all become free agents in two years. I would not want to be replacing three members of our rotation all at the same time.

Certainly we are hoping that Bundy is in the rotation by then, and Harvey if we are lucky. Neither is a sure thing. Then you have the likes of Wilson, Wright, Hess and Lee.

Kind of a dangerous situation. I think despite Duquette's qualms, if we want to contend, we really have no choice but to sign a reliable FA pitcher at some point this year or next. Or, maybe we just trade some of the three incumbents and rebuild.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We have been in a window of opportunity the last few years and have not capitalized. Last year was the year to go all in and make a run and we simply did nothing. The window is still open this year, but it seems it won't be any different. The dark ages could return in a few years as our current players age, leave in free agency, etc. we really have nothing substantial in the farm system to replace them with either...

We have been in a window of opportunity the last few years and have not capitalized. Last year was the year to go all in and make a run and we simply did nothing. The window is still open this year, but it seems it won't be any different. The dark ages could return in a few years as our current players age, leave in free agency, etc. we really have nothing substantial in the farm system to replace them with either...

I am thrilled with prospect of drafting 3 top hundred college starters.

The window has already closed, friends. The sooner we recognize this, the better. We lost Chen, our best pitcher from a .500 team. Even if we sign Davis, Upton, or Cespedes, the most we are looking at is an incremental improvement offensively. It is time to start thinking about what is best long term. We can put a together a decent team with short term guys like Latos and Alvarez, but we need to start hoarding draft picks and seeking opportunities to trade for prospects. I am looking for the next window. Frobby is on the right track, thinking about what the rotation is going to look like 3-4 years out.

I would add that Tillman, Gonzo, and Jimenez are all players that I might be seeking to trade depending on how the season is playing out in July. All the more reason to stockpile pitchers. Especially because Angelos appears to be against acquiring elite pitchers through free agency.

I am actually pretty excited. Even with the loss of Davies, in addition to Bundy and Harvey, we have a lot of guys that are performing great at AA and AAA. I am optimistic that one or two of Gunkel, Lee, Miranda, or Wilson can at least fill out the back end of our rotation and become the next Gonzo. I am optimistic that KG can be our next Chen (a reliable #1/#2 if not an ace). Still need Bundy or Gausman to become the next 2013-14 Tillman. This is not a terrible place to be in organizationally, but I certainly don't want to trade any of the above for the likes of Cargo to "go for it" this year, and I would be seeking more elite options for the future.

Don't kid your self the window has closed and has been nailed shut

We are in a re-build but doing a really crappy job so far

I will add that Iam more concerned about the lack of position players. Who will replace JJ at short or Manny at 3B if hr is moved? Jones in CF? Mancini looks like a good possibility to hold down 1B and we have a few C prospects that can probably back up CJ. Jomar may be able to hit but not sure where he fits defensively. My long term priorities are SS, CF, and elite pitchers.

The window has already closed, friends. The sooner we recognize this, the better. We lost Chen, our best pitcher from a .500 team. Even if we sign Davis, Upton, or Cespedes, the most we are looking at is an incremental improvement offensively. It is time to start thinking about what is best long term. We can put a together a decent team with short term guys like Latos and Alvarez, but we need to start hoarding draft picks and seeking opportunities to trade for prospects. I am looking for the next window. Frobby is on the right track, thinking about what the rotation is going to look like 3-4 years out.

I would add that Tillman, Gonzo, and Jimenez are all players that I might be seeking to trade depending on how the season is playing out in July. All the more reason to stockpile pitchers. Especially because Angelos appears to be against acquiring elite pitchers through free agency.

I am actually pretty excited. Even with the loss of Davies, in addition to Bundy and Harvey, we have a lot of guys that are performing great at AA and AAA. I am optimistic that one or two of Gunkel, Lee, Miranda, or Wilson can at least fill out the back end of our rotation and become the next Gonzo. I am optimistic that KG can be our next Chen (a reliable #1/#2 if not an ace). Still need Bundy or Gausman to become the next 2013-14 Tillman. This is not a terrible place to be in organizationally, but I certainly don't want to trade any of the above for the likes of Cargo to "go for it" this year, and I would be seeking more elite options for the future.

Nor do I but it depends on what Angelos will allow DD to do. I just don't believe

Pete will allow DD to trade any of those three if the season tanks. IMO

This is absolutely not the time to 'blow it up'.

For all we know Gausman, Bundy, Harvey, Wilson, et. al are about to have a 2015 Mets redoux. Don't blow that chance!

Come July...who knows. Starting a firesale to build around Manny is absolutely a possible outcome for 2016.

Archived