April 10, Game 1, at Texas

NCRaven

• Replies 385
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, I don't want to rip on Ramon this much, but he did a poor job on that throw to second and a poor job on the play at the plate. Why is he reaching for the body? The runner has to touch the plate. You put the glove on the front of the plate and adjust. Also, why was he so far in front? The throw wasn't on the first base side so much that he needed to do that. The ball is traveling faster than you can sweep the arm for the tag. Just not very good fundamentals.

Ramon has never blocked the plate. The Orioles knew that when they signed him and chose to overlook it.

So, now that we've given up runs trying to stick with Trachsel too long, what good does it do us that we "saved" an innings wear and tear on the pen? If we lose this game by pressing him too far, that "saved" inning seems to be a pretty pyrhhic victory IMO. I just can't let Trachsel face a guy who has won a batting title (and contended for several more) in that situation. Fourth time through the order, great hitter? No way.

I don't know how DT should have known he was sticking with him too long. He was cruising. He struck out the first batter of the inning. The ball wasn't hit hard. The 2nd run was a product of bad defense moving the runner to 3rd. Basically, Trax gave up 1 run that wasn't defense-assisted. Trax looked fine tonight...he isn't one of the problems so far.

I didn't realize you spent so much time watching him when he played for the Mariners and Oakland. I had seen him play maybe 20 times when we signed him and I couldn't make this statement. Also, I've seen him block the plate while with the Orioles, though I do agree that he tends to "olay" things a bit too much.

I think that's the point she was trying to make. I doubt she really meant that he never, ever, ever has blocked the plate. But, he sure doesn't seem to do it often.

I didn't realize you spent so much time watching him when he played for the Mariners and Oakland. I had seen him play maybe 20 times when we signed him and I couldn't make this statement. Also, I've seen him block the plate while with the Orioles, though I do agree that he tends to "olay" things a bit too much.

I think that was Oakland and San Diego.... not to nitpick ;)

Is that what's going on? Manfra and Angel are clueless on the radio...

Yea. Infield is completely in dark so the lights have to come on to continue play. Can't be turned on during the inning. Must be at start of the inning.

They being turned on now but it seems it takes a few minutes for them to warm up and turn on 100%.

Game starting again.

Archived