Jimmy Paredes in 2016... is there room?

InsideCoroner

I think it's worth keeping him for ST and do one of two things

1) he does well and you trade him for anything you can get

2) he doesn't do well and he will likely pass through waivers and hopefully he accept an assignment to Norfolk

If he isn't a contributor at the MLB level why do you need him at Norfolk? This isn't someone who is likely to improve in a substantive way.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We know Paredes started last year burning hot, and finished in a flameout. I went through the numbers to see just how bad of a tailspin he had... it wasn't pretty.

Through July 1st, in 236 PAs he hit 10 homers, .347 OBP, .877 OPS.

After July 1st, in 146 PAs he hit 0 homers, .246 OBP, .471 OPS (ouch).

It looked like pitchers figured him out and basically kept the ball well off the plate, which didn't seem to stop him from flailing, and flailing hard at that.

For this year, I think once Davis re-signed, Jimmy probably knew his hopes of seeing time at DH while Trumbo manned first went up in smoke. He's not much of a fielder, and should never be allowed near third base again, unless it's from rounding second. If I were him, I would probably be taking 200 fly balls a day when I'm not trying to learn fundamentals from some old Baseball Bunch VHS tapes.

Is there room to carry him? I just don't see it unless Trumbo lands on the DL for a longer stint.

NOT unless he brings a glove that works, and even than his bat trailed off badly after the 1st half.

Sure there is room. He'll need to earn it though. If no RF is brought in, that 12 position spot is open (I'm calling that 13th spot Rickard's). Let's say Reimold wins RF, you have Alvarez, Hoes, Paredes, Urrutia, Tolleson battling for that spot. None of them really stand out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question is why would you want to carry him?

I think the only possible answer is, when he is hot he looks sooooo good. I've rarely seen a player whose swing looks so good when he's on his game, yet can look so completely clueless at other times. I guess there is some hope that good coaching could help him stay on track and be the "good" Paredes more consistently.

That said, I think it's a real longshot.

If he isn't a contributor at the MLB level why do you need him at Norfolk? This isn't someone who is likely to improve in a substantive way.

Are you serious or are you just being difficult? If Paredes is not on the 40 man roster but being stashed at Norfolk in hopes of him working on some things and also as a backup player in case of major league misfortune where is the harm in that? He has shown he can put together a hot stretch at the majors, who is to say he can't do it again and the O's can't capitalize if the opportunity arose?

I think the only possible answer is, when he is hot he looks sooooo good. I've rarely seen a player whose swing looks so good when he's on his game, yet can look so completely clueless at other times. I guess there is some hope that good coaching could help him stay on track and be the "good" Paredes more consistently.

That said, I think it's a real longshot.

One other example just signed a $161 million contract.

Are you serious or are you just being difficult? If Paredes is not on the 40 man roster but being stashed at Norfolk in hopes of him working on some things and also as a backup player in case of major league misfortune where is the harm in that? He has shown he can put together a hot stretch at the majors, who is to say he can't do it again and the O's can't capitalize if the opportunity arose?

He's 27. If "working on things" was going to have an appreciable impact we would have seen it by now. He can't field and he has zero command of the strike zone. I don't see how stashing that at Norfolk accomplishs anything.

Jimmy Paredes is a bad, bad, baseball player. He's horrific at every position in the infield, despite being very athletic. He's not athletic enough to play CF, and even if he somehow can play a decent OF, there's no way his bat profiles there. He's got plate discipline in the bottom 5% of MLB players, and even though he's a big, strong guy, he has very little relevant power because he hits so few fly balls. Maybe he eventually figures it out given his talent, but I want no part of wasting another major league at bat on him to do it. I sincerely hope he's at the top of the list for our next DFA to clear roster space.

One other example just signed a $161 million contract.

The difference is that Davis is hot enough to have a couple MVP-ish seasons on his resume, while Paredes has played at that level for about six weeks of his career. And while Parades' AAA perforamance got him DFA'd in mid-season 2014, Davis hit kind of like Babe Ruth in the PCL.

Jimmy Paredes is a bad, bad, baseball player. He's horrific at every position in the infield, despite being very athletic. He's not athletic enough to play CF, and even if he somehow can play a decent OF, there's no way his bat profiles there. He's got plate discipline in the bottom 5% of MLB players, and even though he's a big, strong guy, he has very little relevant power because he hits so few fly balls. Maybe he eventually figures it out given his talent, but I want no part of wasting another major league at bat on him to do it. I sincerely hope he's at the top of the list for our next DFA to clear roster space.

Paredes would be a reasonably productive regular if he was a +10 fielder somewhere. Unfortunately he's more like -10.

He's 27. If "working on things" was going to have an appreciable impact we would have seen it by now. He can't field and he has zero command of the strike zone. I don't see how stashing that at Norfolk accomplishs anything.

I dunno, I guess we have a difference in opinion on the role of AAA. To me, that's where you stash guys like Paredes and hopefully other players that aren't necessarily good enough for the big leagues but have enough talent to be a possible fill in if things go south. I'm not saying Paredes is a lock to ever contribute to a major league team ever again but he is worth hanging onto if you can get him off the 40 man roster.

The difference is that Davis is hot enough to have a couple MVP-ish seasons on his resume, while Paredes has played at that level for about six weeks of his career. And while Parades' AAA perforamance got him DFA'd in mid-season 2014, Davis hit kind of like Babe Ruth in the PCL.

I was being silly. I am well aware of the differences between Paredes and Davis. Just saying, sometimes Davis looks like he is swinging with a blindfold on.

Paredes would be a reasonably productive regular if he was a +10 fielder somewhere. Unfortunately he's more like -10.

Steamer projects him for a 78 wRC+ next year. I'm not sure even +10 defense would save him, or get him to the "reasonably productive" level. I'm pretty sure all that would do is cancel out the inevitable decline in his BABIP propping up his offense. Perhaps he can run a higher BABIP than the .327 they have projected him for, but that's never something I would want to bank on.

With limited power, walks, and tons of K's, he'd have to run huge BABIPs to be anywhere near league average offensively. Last year he was at a .369 BABIP, which tied Bryce Harper for #10 in baseball for players with >350 PA, and still only got him a 96 wRC+ and a robust 0.1 fWAR.

I dunno, I guess we have a difference in opinion on the role of AAA. To me, that's where you stash guys like Paredes as hopefully other players that aren't necessarily good enough for the big leagues but have enough talent to be a possible fill in if things go south. I'm not saying Paredes is a lock to ever contribute to a major league team ever again but he is worth hanging onto if you can get him off the 40 man roster.

I was being silly. I am well aware of the differences between Paredes and Davis. Just saying, sometimes Davis looks like he is swinging with a blindfold on.

Where is he going to fill in?

Not anywhere with a glove certainly.

I'd rather fill the roster spot with an all field no hit sort of guy.

Archived