Jimmy Paredes in 2016... is there room?

InsideCoroner

We know Paredes started last year burning hot, and finished in a flameout. I went through the numbers to see just how bad of a tailspin he had... it wasn't pretty.

Through July 1st, in 236 PAs he hit 10 homers, .347 OBP, .877 OPS.

After July 1st, in 146 PAs he hit 0 homers, .246 OBP, .471 OPS (ouch).

It looked like pitchers figured him out and basically kept the ball well off the plate, which didn't seem to stop him from flailing, and flailing hard at that.

For this year, I think once Davis re-signed, Jimmy probably knew his hopes of seeing time at DH while Trumbo manned first went up in smoke. He's not much of a fielder, and should never be allowed near third base again, unless it's from rounding second. If I were him, I would probably be taking 200 fly balls a day when I'm not trying to learn fundamentals from some old Baseball Bunch VHS tapes.

Is there room to carry him? I just don't see it unless Trumbo lands on the DL for a longer stint.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Question is why would you want to carry him? He's not going to start anywhere. He can't capably field any position. And his career MLB wRC+ is 80, which is within shouting distance of Ryan Flaherty. It's hard to be a MLB hitter with a 4% walk rate and five Ks for every walk, even if you're really athletic and have awesome batspeed.

He also has trouble getting the ball elevated. Very high GB rate.

Question is why would you want to carry him? He's not going to start anywhere. He can't capably field any position. And his career MLB wRC+ is 80, which is within shouting distance of Ryan Flaherty. It's hard to be a MLB hitter with a 4% walk rate and five Ks for every walk, even if you're really athletic and have awesome batspeed.

Buck says he has "want to" :scratchchinhmm: ?

I don't personally see the need for him. It was a good story for the first three months last year, but his skill set doesn't seem to put up many convincing arguments as to why he should take a roster spot.

I think he could stick around long enough to get to ST, but he probably ends up DFA.

I think he passes through waivers and ends up the minors. Seems like the kind of guy that scouts love, who will keep getting chances on people betting that one day he gets it and his tools translate into baseball ability. He's a poor man's Ruben Sierra.

His one saving grace is that he is a switch hitter and we are sorely lacking lefty bats. If any of Reimold, Alvarez, or Rickard were lefty, he would be gone for sure. Still, even hitting lefty he only put up .740 vs RHP, and that's including his hot start. Is that number really worth it to keep a guy who doesn't play a position and cannot hit a breaking ball? Trumbo OPS's .731 vs RHP, and Reimold has almost perfectly even career splits, so it is not like we need Paredes to DH every day. I don't have the sense that Paredes is a "Buck guy".

I would probably cut Paredes loose just to give some of the younger guys a chance. If Reimold starts on the bench, he could pinch hit and put up decent ABs no matter who is pitching.

I think he passes through waivers and ends up the minors. Seems like the kind of guy that scouts love, who will keep getting chances on people betting that one day he gets it and his tools translate into baseball ability. He's a poor man's Ruben Sierra.

Or Jose Bautista.

Paredes went to winter ball to improve his ability to play the outfield. The O's will try to convert him to an outfielder in ST. How he doesn't in the outfield and how he hits will determine if he makes the team.

I think the most likely path is for the O's to keep him on the roster until early April and waive him in a attempt to get him to Norfolk just before the season starts.

We know Paredes started last year burning hot, and finished in a flameout. I went through the numbers to see just how bad of a tailspin he had... it wasn't pretty.

Through July 1st, in 236 PAs he hit 10 homers, .347 OBP, .877 OPS.

After July 1st, in 146 PAs he hit 0 homers, .246 OBP, .471 OPS (ouch).

It looked like pitchers figured him out and basically kept the ball well off the plate, which didn't seem to stop him from flailing, and flailing hard at that.

For this year, I think once Davis re-signed, Jimmy probably knew his hopes of seeing time at DH while Trumbo manned first went up in smoke. He's not much of a fielder, and should never be allowed near third base again, unless it's from rounding second. If I were him, I would probably be taking 200 fly balls a day when I'm not trying to learn fundamentals from some old Baseball Bunch VHS tapes.

Is there room to carry him? I just don't see it unless Trumbo lands on the DL for a longer stint.

NOt sure I can recall a more dramatic tail spin barring an injury. That is almost impossible.

Bautista OBP'ed 50 points higher and OPS'ed 100 points higher in the minors. Paredes early success looks like much more of a fluke and even if he turns out to be a guy who hits better in the majors, he is starting from a much lower baseline.

Paredes' minor league walk rate is something approaching 1/3rd of Bautista's.

I think it's worth keeping him for ST and do one of two things

1) he does well and you trade him for anything you can get

2) he doesn't do well and he will likely pass through waivers and hopefully he accept an assignment to Norfolk

Archived