The End of the Cable Dynasty?

weams

I am actually looking forward to the days when they present original programming around the clock. Mic'ed up batting practice, "Showering with Showalter", "Dempsey's Kitchen Disasters." "Wieters Weather Wisdom "It would be the go to channel for the Mid Atlantic Viewer.

Wieters' Weather is a much catchier title but Dempsey is the meteorologist wannabe.

Dempsey blamed conditioning on the humid Baltimore weather, which is soooo unlike any other ballpark in America.
"Baltimore is the toughest city to play anywhere I ever played for 24 years in the major leagues. You have to prepare yourself differently here. If you don't prepare yourself more than other teams prepare on the west coast or such this...you leave yourself open to a lot of injuries. Injuries have decimated this ball club this year. But it's a very real part of how you have to approach this team itself...."

"You go down to Spring training you have to deal with the hot humid and most spring trainings are very much so. Once every five or six years you get a cool one like we did?.you start to get yourself into game condition and all of the sudden you come to Baltimore and it?s very raw, and very cold. The muscles start to to tighten up and it?s very simple you break out of the batter?s box and you get the soft dirt up here from the winter time you can pull a muscle, strain a hamstring, strain a quad, pull a hip or whatever they do and it?s very simple to do from home to first or first to third or something like that. And then all of the sudden, there is no transition period here in Baltimore, when you go from cold all of the sudden in the course of one or two days, it?s hot, it?s humid, it?s not even summertime. Now you have to deal with it again, your body loses the salt, and your muscles start to cramp up again as in? Adam Jones, who cramped up coming out of Texas, and all of the sudden missed a game. You got to go to your secondary players, and he weakens the lineup by doing so. You know, so there?s another reason why you have to be in better shape, the muscles have to be more in tone to play here than anywhere just to keep yourself off that disabled list and in that lineup every single day."

source - Dempsey on the Scott Garceau show, Jun 4, 2010

Other programming

Really Full House - Melvin and the Mora Quints

Geraldo Rivera Opens Tejada's Little Black Suitcase

Who Wants to Be a Mega Millionaire ? - Hosted by Chris Davis

Pie Boss Starring Adam Jones

Orioles Memories With Mike Mussina

Cajun Cooking With Ben McDonald

Sailing the Inner Harbor on the Good Ship Lollipop Starring Jim Hunter

The O'Day Factor

The AngelOs - Baltimore's Family

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I have not had cable now for over a year. High speed internet, yes but not cable. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other online streaming sources I can pretty much watch any show or movie I want any time I want. Using online streaming I can pretty much watch any NFL,MLB, NCAA, Premier League or other sporting event I want live or in many cases on demand. I accomplish all this and have far more options for my viewing pleasure at a cost that works out to likely 40% less then when I had cable. On top of that I can do it on any set in my house and can use it mobile.

The reality of the situation is that if a company like Comcast wants to survive they are going to have to adapt or go the way of Blockbuster. The number of options out there and the ease of using them is exponentially growing. More and more people are doing what I do and dumping cable/satellite and making their own service so to speak. I thnk the same holds true for sports networks, they are going to have to adapt as the days of being able to count on collecting money from consumers who never use their product is coming to a close soon (i.e people who subscribe to cable and never watch MASN). It would also be wise for all the major sports to take a good look at how they deliver mobile content and find ways to supplement that with content to enrich the experience of viewing using those methods.

What are you using to stream NFL games? I thought that directv was the sole owner of all the games that are not televised on espn and nfl network.

What are you using to stream NFL games? I thought that directv was the sole owner of all the games that are not televised on espn and nfl network.

You can use an amazon firestick or a few other of the devices that run off your wifi and internet. They are pretty good my only complaint is that the quality of the picture is not as good. It is not running without HD but also not the 1080 feed either. I think you are running about a 720.

They'll adapt by just charging us more for internet, and tier our usage.

They basically already have done that in order to run the live feeds to the TV you have to choose one of the faster internet feeds for the tv to run as smooth as possible.

I have not had cable now for over a year. High speed internet, yes but not cable. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other online streaming sources I can pretty much watch any show or movie I want any time I want. Using online streaming I can pretty much watch any NFL,MLB, NCAA, Premier League or other sporting event I want live or in many cases on demand. I accomplish all this and have far more options for my viewing pleasure at a cost that works out to likely 40% less then when I had cable. On top of that I can do it on any set in my house and can use it mobile.

The reality of the situation is that if a company like Comcast wants to survive they are going to have to adapt or go the way of Blockbuster. The number of options out there and the ease of using them is exponentially growing. More and more people are doing what I do and dumping cable/satellite and making their own service so to speak. I thnk the same holds true for sports networks, they are going to have to adapt as the days of being able to count on collecting money from consumers who never use their product is coming to a close soon (i.e people who subscribe to cable and never watch MASN). It would also be wise for all the major sports to take a good look at how they deliver mobile content and find ways to supplement that with content to enrich the experience of viewing using those methods.

I agree with this 100 percent. It is only a matter of time before our TVs simply become peripheral devices for our computers. In many cases it has already begun.

On a side note....I'd love to know how you are watching live streaming NFL games. I've been trying for years without luck. Are you using a VPN?

On a side note....I'd love to know how you are watching live streaming NFL games. I've been trying for years without luck. Are you using a VPN?

This was my questions as well. Best I can come up with is splitting the price with a friend who has DirecTv and me using the internet app and him watching it on tv. Other than that there are illegal feeds...

If you're unable to get DirectTv due to trees blocking the signal, or live in an apartment building that won't allow it, you can get the streaming package by itself through DirectTV. That's what I do.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

I think the one difference here, is Ma Bell was a single entity, and there are multiple people providing cable services.

Innovation didnt thrived in the telephony market, because of this decision. Its the entire technology explosion that we have seen worldwide in every aspect of our life.

I think they are raking in the money.

With that said, I personally do not see the FCC getting involved, and I don't think we will

The forced divestiture of AT&T in the early '80s was the FTC's doing more than the FCC's if memory serves (I was a very recent college dropout at the time, so...). I completely disagree with the assertion that innovation didn't thrive in telephony immediately afterward. It absolutely did.

Where I do think this is interesting - and might agree with you to some degree - is in the latest round of ongoing challenges to our long-standing definitions of exactly what the FCC's turf is. "Public airways" have never included wires, fibers, or SATCOM. Speaking as the great-nephew of Pres Eisenhower's FCC Chair I think it's just about time we abolish the Commission altogether. Let it go the way of the Bureau of Indian Affairs (oops, that still exists! so embarassing to be an American sometimes).

Archived