The End of the Cable Dynasty?

weams

http://arstechnica.com/business/2016/01/cable-lobby-is-really-mad-about-fccs-set-top-box-competition-plan/

"Set-top boxes are a clunky piece of equipment that pay-TV customers are cornered into renting for hundreds of dollars a year in order to view their programming. And the average cost to rent their set-top box has risen a staggering 185 percent over the last 20 years," US Rep. Anna Eshoo ... said. "Think back to the days when Ma Bell required customers to only rent their phones from them. When the FCC lifted this prohibition, consumers not only saved money, but innovation thrived in the telephone market. It's time to eliminate this $20 billion boondoggle and leapfrog into the second decade of the 21st century and all it has to offer."

How will this influence the future delivery of live sporting events?

And rights fees?

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the one difference here, is Ma Bell was a single entity, and there are multiple people providing cable services.

Innovation didnt thrived in the telephony market, because of this decision. Its the entire technology explosion that we have seen worldwide in every aspect of our life.

I think they are raking in the money.

With that said, I personally do not see the FCC getting involved, and I don't think we will

I think the one difference here, is Ma Bell was a single entity, and there are multiple people providing cable services.

Innovation didnt thrived in the telephony market, because of this decision. Its the entire technology explosion that we have seen worldwide in every aspect of our life.

I think they are raking in the money.

With that said, I personally do not see the FCC getting involved, and I don't think we will

http://recode.net/2016/01/27/its-time-to-unlock-the-set-top-box-market/

http://www.theverge.com/2016/1/28/10863800/fcc-cable-box-proposal-att-time-warner-silicon-valley-reactions

Yesterday FCC Chairman Tom Wheeler shared a proposal that would make the cable set-top box world look a whole lot more like the mobile phone market. The idea is to give consumers more choice around the hardware they use when they sign up for TV service. The rules, he wrote in Re/code, would "create a framework for providing device manufacturers, software developers and others the information they need to introduce innovative new technologies, while at the same time maintaining strong security, copyright and consumer protections."

thanks.

I didnt word my last sentence correctly.

I see the FCC playing lip-service to the idea, I see very slim chance, that they will actually get something accomplished.

I'm counting down the days until I can get MASN through streaming or a la carte.

How long am I going to have to wait? I hope no more than 5 years.

I am actually looking forward to the days when they present original programming around the clock. Mic'ed up batting practice, "Showering with Showalter", "Dempsey's Kitchen Disasters." "Wieters Weather Wisdom "It would be the go to channel for the Mid Atlantic Viewer.

I am actually looking forward to the days when they present original programming around the clock. Mic'ed up batting practice, "Showering with Showalter", "Dempsey's Kitchen Disasters." "Wieters Weather Wisdom "It would be the go to channel for the Mid Atlantic Viewer.

As long as they bring back some highlight reels of Dempsey and his rain delay antics, glad they never got hurt by clowning around, but it sure was fun to watch. :)

That would be an improvement on what else I've seen, which is zippy. Wall to Wall is TERRIBLE (IMO)!!!!! I've tried to check in to see if they air anything else and it's basically sports center news and "coming soon".

Am I missing some good programing on MASN? Serious question.

I have not had cable now for over a year. High speed internet, yes but not cable. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other online streaming sources I can pretty much watch any show or movie I want any time I want. Using online streaming I can pretty much watch any NFL,MLB, NCAA, Premier League or other sporting event I want live or in many cases on demand. I accomplish all this and have far more options for my viewing pleasure at a cost that works out to likely 40% less then when I had cable. On top of that I can do it on any set in my house and can use it mobile.

The reality of the situation is that if a company like Comcast wants to survive they are going to have to adapt or go the way of Blockbuster. The number of options out there and the ease of using them is exponentially growing. More and more people are doing what I do and dumping cable/satellite and making their own service so to speak. I thnk the same holds true for sports networks, they are going to have to adapt as the days of being able to count on collecting money from consumers who never use their product is coming to a close soon (i.e people who subscribe to cable and never watch MASN). It would also be wise for all the major sports to take a good look at how they deliver mobile content and find ways to supplement that with content to enrich the experience of viewing using those methods.

Raffy's Trial Preppers

Reboot of Leave it to Beaver with Cal as Ward Cleaver

My Life as a Monster Truck Driving Vanilla Ice Impersonator, starring Matt Riley

Living in Van Down by the River, starring Billy Rowell

The Chris Smith Show, where each of the 53 episodes is a full hour on each inning of his pro career.

Joey Belle's Rageaholics!

Fernando Lunar, Secret Agent

Ken Gerhart, 50th President of These United States

Ken Burns' Memorial Stadium Concession Employees, a 17-part miniseries

Sir Sidney, exotic tales of his post-baseball life in the royal palaces of the Netherlands

I have not had cable now for over a year. High speed internet, yes but not cable. Between Netflix, Hulu, Amazon and other online streaming sources I can pretty much watch any show or movie I want any time I want. Using online streaming I can pretty much watch any NFL,MLB, NCAA, Premier League or other sporting event I want live or in many cases on demand. I accomplish all this and have far more options for my viewing pleasure at a cost that works out to likely 40% less then when I had cable. On top of that I can do it on any set in my house and can use it mobile.

The reality of the situation is that if a company like Comcast wants to survive they are going to have to adapt or go the way of Blockbuster. The number of options out there and the ease of using them is exponentially growing. More and more people are doing what I do and dumping cable/satellite and making their own service so to speak. I thnk the same holds true for sports networks, they are going to have to adapt as the days of being able to count on collecting money from consumers who never use their product is coming to a close soon (i.e people who subscribe to cable and never watch MASN). It would also be wise for all the major sports to take a good look at how they deliver mobile content and find ways to supplement that with content to enrich the experience of viewing using those methods.

They'll adapt by just charging us more for internet, and tier our usage.

Archived