Jonathan Schoop could be headed for Stardom

Redskins Rick

It's really hard to figure out what kind of player he's even going to be offensively. As a matter of fact, last year was the first time Schoop slugged in the 400's above the A level. He had a low slugging at A+ and every level above it except last year. I'm not sure I am going to be counting on Schoop's power sticking around unless he has become a different player now. That would be great, but I'll believe it when I see it and he's not very good at getting on base either.

I have some doubts as to what kind of BA/OBP Schoop will put up, but I have no doubts whatsoever about his power. Just look at the young man, and watch how far and fast the ball travels when he hits it right! I'd be amazed if he hit fewer than 25 homers in a healthy season going forward.

As to his BA/OBP, much remains to be seen about that. He's still a young player and he was pushed through the minors aggressively. There is nothing about his K/BB rates or his P/PA that supports what I am about to say, but I felt he was less prone to swinging at truly awful pitches last year. He's still well under the 1500 AB threshold that they say is the point where a hitter truly understands major league pitching. So, I do have hopes that his walks eventually will increase and the strikeouts will come down a little. Certainly there have been signs of that this spring, though I agree that spring training numbers are not that meaningful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/04/pirates-polanco-agree-to-five-year-extension.html

"The Pirates have extended outfielder Gregory Polanco for the next five seasons with two option years, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo. The deal is expected to be in the mid-$30MM range and will be announced next week. Polanco, 24, was previously controllable through 2020. The extension will guarantee those seasons. If Pittsburgh picks up both options, he can reach free agency after the 2022 season his age 30 campaign."

How would this deal compare to a potential early extension for Schoop? I have no idea how many years of control Baltimore has left, but I'd love to lock him up through his 20's.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/04/pirates-polanco-agree-to-five-year-extension.html

"The Pirates have extended outfielder Gregory Polanco for the next five seasons with two option years, tweets Jeff Passan of Yahoo. The deal is expected to be in the mid-$30MM range and will be announced next week. Polanco, 24, was previously controllable through 2020. The extension will guarantee those seasons. If Pittsburgh picks up both options, he can reach free agency after the 2022 season his age 30 campaign."

How would this deal compare to a potential early extension for Schoop? I have no idea how many years of control Baltimore has left, but I'd love to lock him up through his 20's.

I would love this deal for Schoop and Machado

I'm high on Schoop, too. He hits bullets all over the place. Davis has more power obviously but as far as guys who square up and hit ropes all over the park, I think no one does it better than Schoop. He hits everything hard.

Not sure why there's such a disconnect between national writers and what we see. Probably a case where watching a guy every day comes into play.

I'm high on Schoop, too. He hits bullets all over the place. Davis has more power obviously but as far as guys who square up and hit ropes all over the park, I think no one does it better than Schoop. He hits everything hard.

Not sure why there's such a disconnect between national writers and what we see. Probably a case where watching a guy every day comes into play.

Some of them are high on him.

The rest look at the lack of plate discipline.

My buddy is a Rays fan. He and I have a bet for this season involving Schoop. It started when I said that Schoop would probably hit around 30 home runs this year. My buddy said I was crazy and he would be lucky to hit 20. So we set the over/under at 19.5. I think we all can agree that I'm going to win the bottle of Jameson.

My buddy is a Rays fan. He and I have a bet for this season involving Schoop. It started when I said that Schoop would probably hit around 30 home runs this year. My buddy said I was crazy and he would be lucky to hit 20. So we set the over/under at 19.5. I think we all can agree that I'm going to win the bottle of Jameson.

You'll probably kill that bottle before Labor Day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Schoop's arbitration years start in 2017. He's got four years of control left. If they sign him to a 5 yr, $35 mil deal they buy out his arbitration + one additional year. The 2 additional option years at $25 mil total is the key.

I'd absolutely offer him that deal if I can make 2017 the first year of the new contract. I don't know if he takes it, but it's beneficial for both sides.

Then, after getting Schoop locked up, I use the deal as leverage against Manny Machado. :beerchug1:

• 1 month later...

Archived