New Hat

Shabadoo25

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone know what the new cartoon bird/all black hat will be used for this season? Will it replace the Friday night "O's" hat?

I know there is a spring training version with FL on the side but there is a regular one also without that branding.

The cap is for ST only to the best of my knowledge.

I am praying the white panel is replaced ASAP, it is truly horrible.

The new cap is the 2016 Diamond Era material Batting Practice cap. It replaces the previous, orange fronted Diamond Era version used since 2013. It has (as all the teams this year) a dye sublimated league logo on the right side of the crown, and for Spring Training the "FL" Highway sign patch on the left. After Spring Training it will be used for Batting Practice only.

The current (2016) rotation of caps is as follows:

2016%20Caps_zpsqhflyjru.png

As for the Home Hat, my advice would be to make some sort of peace with it.

I work in licensed product design and marketing, and am a bit OCD about not only the stuff I work on, but the stuff I obsess about (like the Orioles).

I follow trends in products and licensing and attend the World Licensing Expo every year for work. I've had the good fortune to meet and become friendly with people in MLB, and New Era, and 47 Brand (I love those guys), and can tell you that the home hat is going nowhere for a long, long, long time.

Home_zpsnd8rdj53.jpg

That white fronted cap up there, changed the game for both MLB and New Era. It showed that the fan had an interest in both retro styled logos and in a cap with a contrasting front panel (did you know New era didn't want to make it at first?). It sparked trends that other teams followed (even the MFYs have a contrasting front panel BP cap now), and was part of the Orioles front office's 2011 plan to rebrand for our 2012 season and pull in every surviving generation of fan by giving them a either a "Brooks" 1966 styled cap (Away), or a 1983 "Rookie Cal" styled cap as they tried to shake off the loosing years under the "Ornithologicaly Styled" Birds.

It was a brilliant strategy, and paid off big time. It was not only well received by the fan base, but it literally changed how other teams rebrand and market to their fans. That's extraordinary, and I love that the Orioles are seen as innovators in the industry.

For all of these reasons and more don't expect the white front cap to go away anytime soon. It's here to stay.

Did I mention that it outsells all other versions of Orioles on-field caps 5-1? Yeah. ;)

The new cap is the 2016 Diamond Era material Batting Practice cap. It replaces the previous, orange fronted Diamond Era version used since 2013. It has (as all the teams this year) a dye sublimated league logo on the right side of the crown, and for Spring Training the "FL" Highway sign patch on the left. After Spring Training it will be used for Batting Practice only.

I work in licensed product design and marketing, and am a bit OCD about not only the stuff I work on, but the stuff I obsess about (like the Orioles).

I follow trends in products and licensing and attend the World Licensing Expo every year for work. I've had the good fortune to meet and become friendly with people in MLB, and New Era, and 47 Brand (I love those guys), and can tell you that the home hat is going nowhere for a long, long, long time.

Home_zpsnd8rdj53.jpg

That white fronted cap up there, change the game for both MLB and New Era. It showed that the fan had an interest in both retro logos and in a cap with a contrasting front panel (did you know New era didn't want to make it at first?). It sparked trends that other teams followed (even the MFYs have a contrasting front panel BP cap), and was part of the Orioles front office's 2011 plan to rebrand for our 2012 season and pull in every surviving generation of fan by giving them a either a "Brooks" 1966 styled cap (Away), and a 1983 "Rookie Cal" styled cap as they tried to shake off the loosing years under the "Ornithologicaly Styled" Birds.

It was a brilliant strategy, and paid off big time. It war not only well received by the fan base, but it literally changed how other teams rebrand and market to their fans. That's extraordinary, and I love that the Orioles are seen as innovators in the industry.

For all of these reasons and more don't expect the white front cap to go away anytime soon. It's here to stay.

Did I mention that it outsells all other versions of Orioles on-field caps 5-1? Yeah. ;)

I really like the clubhouse hat, just as a day-to-day option... Hopefully it comes in a size compatible with my overly large noggin.

That's about the only time the Orioles have been seen as innovators in the industry in quite sometime. It's a cool thing to be able to recognize but it'd be even nicer if they could figure out a way to be innovators between the lines.

Sigh.

I'd absolutely love to see the O's hate be gone forever.

Not sure about the distaste for the all black. I think it looks pretty sharp.

I really like the clubhouse hat, just as a day-to-day option... Hopefully it comes in a size compatible with my overly large noggin.

I love that logo on the clubhouse hat. I might have to grab that one.

I don't think that logo has been used enough on hats. There have been some kids hats, but very few for adults through the years.

I love that logo on the clubhouse hat. I might have to grab that one.

I don't think that logo has been used enough on hats. There have been some kids hats, but very few for adults through the years.

If you google oriole clubhouse hat, you will see google take you to MLB, and they are there, not cheap, but available.

I suggest checking "LIDS" and can probably get it there, without the shipping charge.

Home_zpsnd8rdj53.jpg

That white fronted cap up there, changed the game for both MLB and New Era. It showed that the fan had an interest in both retro styled logos and in a cap with a contrasting front panel (did you know New era didn't want to make it at first?). It sparked trends that other teams followed (even the MFYs have a contrasting front panel BP cap now), and was part of the Orioles front office's 2011 plan to rebrand for our 2012 season and pull in every surviving generation of fan by giving them a either a "Brooks" 1966 styled cap (Away), or a 1983 "Rookie Cal" styled cap as they tried to shake off the loosing years under the "Ornithologicaly Styled" Birds.

It was a brilliant strategy, and paid off big time. It was not only well received by the fan base, but it literally changed how other teams rebrand and market to their fans. That's extraordinary, and I love that the Orioles are seen as innovators in the industry.

That's not just sad, it's depressing. But thanks for all the information.

Archived