Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

Baseball really needs to be like the NFL. You get a deal and a signing bonus. If you get cut for performance you don't get paid. As for injuries, you have the insurance. But it's not fair to teams they have to hold that roster spot for the player on the 40.

Even if your "needs to be" statement is true, it's not going to happen. Baseball did it to themselves. They had to control everything. In the NFL the last guy cut becomes a free agent, goes to work construction in Des Moines. The next day anyone could sign him, and he might be good enough to start. There is a nearly endless supply of freely available, decent players.

In MLB the teams control thousands of the best players, 99% of plausible MLBers. In the minors. That's where the players' leverage comes from, to a large extent. They go on an extended lockout to break the MLBPA and there's no baseball. It's not MLB with the 7000th-best players. In '87 the NFL went on strike and within a couple months many of the scabs were clearly better than the guys on strike.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Even if your "needs to be" statement is true, it's not going to happen. Baseball did it to themselves. They had to control everything. In the NFL the last guy cut becomes a free agent, goes to work construction in Des Moines. The next day anyone could sign him, and he might be good enough to start. There is a nearly endless supply of freely available, decent players.

In MLB the teams control thousands of the best players, 99% of plausible MLBers. In the minors. That's where the players' leverage comes from, to a large extent. They go on an extended lockout to break the MLBPA and there's no baseball. It's not MLB with the 7000th-best players. In '87 the NFL went on strike and within a couple months many of the scabs were clearly better than the guys on strike.

Oh I know it will never happen. Just like players that want opt outs. What if a team asked for an opt out clause? Heads would fly.

Gallardo once went on dl when prince collided w/him on play at 1B, once for groin. Orioles medical roulette is a mistake.
— Jon Heyman (@JonHeyman)
February 24, 2016

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

Harsh words Heyman, especially considering we've been right more often than not.

It looks like Heyman is saying "I'm not a doctor and I have no access to any information that would let me make an informed decision, but the Orioles are wrong."

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/orioles?src=hash">#orioles</a> aren't expected to make a final decision on Yovani Gallardo's physical today. Sit tight (whatever that means)</p>— Roch Kubatko (@masnRoch) <a href="

">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Gallardo matter with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> unlikely to be resolved quickly. Team expected to push for restructuring of 3-year, $35M agreement.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

This has me very worried.

Why is it, posters think the Orioles Doctors are trying to fail players?

Why don't they consider it, due diligence?

I'm not saying they are trying to fail him. I don't disagree with the Orioles. I worry more about other players avoiding the team out of fear. I highly doubt Gallardo expected this. Never having an arm issue before, how could he. Do agents have their clients do an independent medical beforehand? Is that the "medicals" I always hear getting tossed around?

Why? A team opt out is basically a team option year. Players sign those reasonably frequently. Don't you think a player would consider a 2/40 deal with a team option for another 2/40 instead of, say, a straight 3/50?

I've never heard of a 3 year deal with 7 years of options. The opt out I mean is for longer term deals. I doubt a player would accept a 10 year deal, but a team can opt out after 3.

Oh I know it will never happen. Just like players that want opt outs. What if a team asked for an opt out clause? Heads would fly.

I agree it is very unlikely to happen. On the other hand, if there were "injury" op outs at certain reasonable %, it actually may allow FA's salaries to increase overall, due to less financial risk to the owners.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Sources: Gallardo matter with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> unlikely to be resolved quickly. Team expected to push for restructuring of 3-year, $35M agreement.</p>? Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

Ok JMHO if this is true Gallardo is gone. It's over...

Bring on Worley, Wright, or Wilson.

O's are just doing due dilligence. Nothing wrong with that. The problem is announcing deals "pending physical." When there is any delay, even without a leak, it is obvious that there is a problem with the physical. Everyone should just keep their mouths shut through the whole process until the contract is signed.

Archived