Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

Ubaldo.

Yep. Fairly small sample, no? I was never in favor of the Balfour deal, but that's another example of a big(ger) money contract that got twisted, post-negotiations/agreement. O'Day's extension is another that went through. And obviously you can start tracking back all the way to Sele, Hernandez, etc., if you want to look at the larger history and larger deals.

The O's doctors might be technically correct, but that's not the problem. As Frobby indicated, the problem is waiting this long to "sort out" the pitching picture, going through the process of reaching an agreement, and then watching it fall apart with no backup options. Or (maybe) worse...completing the Gallardo deal only to discover that he is, in fact, damaged goods.

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still can't believe this won't get done at the original 3/35.

At this point the O's have more to lose than Gallardo from the deal breaking down. In addition to concerns with the rotation, the PR fallout would be pretty bad. We already have a reputation (deserved or not) for being shady with players' medicals. The fans and the players will not respond well.

To my knowledge, this process has never affected anyone but pitchers (in recent memory). the inner workings of a well-worn elbow/shoulder is a lot more delicate and a lot more likely cause for concern than anything going on with a normal position player.

The Orioles players go through physicals annually just like the FA's do. The O's have a pretty good idea the physical condition/issues with all their guys. I'm not sure what your issue is there.

I'm sure they do have a general idea of the physical conditions of their guys currently is. But if Manny wants a 7 or 10 year deal, and Orioles doctors feel he might have an issue in 5, that affects the deal. I was talking about future deals, I thought I made that clear. If not, sorry.

Free Agents have really hurt the Yankees. 23 straight winning seasons and 7 World Series appearances during that time.

Sure, but even with a massive increase this year our payroll is still going to be $60-$70M short of the Yankees. That is the market rate for about 8 WAR. I agree, free agency should be Plan B. Plan A is to develop talent within the organization. That is how we got the current core in the first place.

Yep. Fairly small sample, no? I was never in favor of the Balfour deal, but that's another example of a big(ger) money contract that got twisted, post-negotiations/agreement. O'Day's extension is another that went through. And obviously you can start tracking back all the way to Sele, Hernandez, etc., if you want to look at the larger history and larger deals.

The O's doctors might be technically correct, but that's not the problem. As Frobby indicated, the problem is waiting this long to "sort out" the pitching picture, going through the process of reaching an agreement, and then watching it fall apart with no backup options. Or (maybe) worse...completing the Gallardo deal only to discover that he is, in fact, damaged goods.

Maybe it wasn't all the Orioles fault?

Maybe they had an agreement, and Gallardo wanted some vacation time with his family, and maybe make different living arrangements in place and then visit the team for the physicals.

I truly doubt he is damaged goods, at this point, its just social media and the sports world right now, up in arms.

It's definitely a poor situation for the O's to be in, even if Gallardo is healthy. Reminds us just how important it is to be able to develop your own staff. Which is an extra-frustrating notion considering the guys the O's have given away in the past 3 years without much to show for it.

In all fairness, the Orioles weren't shelling out 100+ million for the options that were available earlier in FA. That's a bigger risk then just signing Gallardo regardless of his physical results.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette">@Jim_Duquette</a> "<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> are not out of the mix on Gallardo. But when the the owner decides he's injured its hard to change his mind"</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="

">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

It's definitely a poor situation for the O's to be in, even if Gallardo is healthy. Reminds us just how important it is to be able to develop your own staff. Which is an extra-frustrating notion considering the guys the O's have given away in the past 3 years without much to show for it.

The only guy they've given away that has a good chance to be someone is Rodriguez. Getting Miller was worth the risk. It just hurts more beings the Red Sox got him. Davies is just another prospect in many systems.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Jim_Duquette">@Jim_Duquette</a> "<a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> are not out of the mix on Gallardo. But when the the owner decides he's injured its hard to change his mind"</p>— MLB Network Radio (@MLBNetworkRadio) <a href="
">February 24, 2016</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Well nail meet coffin.

The only guy they've given away that has a good chance to be someone is Rodriguez. Getting Miller was worth the risk. It just hurts more beings the Red Sox got him. Davies is just another prospect in many systems.

Rodriguez stings bad enough on its own... but I'd strongly disagree that he's the only valuable pitcher we've given up in the past 3 years. However, I'm not going to get into those guys, because we've all beaten those horses well past 6 feet deep.

My point is that the O's have failed terribly at developing talent to create their own staff (as well as some crap luck), which puts them in this situation with Gallardo.

Archived