Gallardo - Roch: deal is DONE (signed)

weams

• Replies 873
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Jim Duquette is the one who interviewed Balfour's TB doctor on national radio back during the 2013/14 off-season, fwiw.

Of course the O's did not receive the National vindication in that situation even though they were correct.

Twas a shame.

I'm having a hard time pulling out the gas can to self-immolate over a guy who Steamer forecasts to 1.6 wins.

Completely agree with this. Gallardo is a tough sell giving up the #28 pick for at 3/35 even if he's got an invincible shoulder. The worst case scenario is that we go through with the deal and he gets hurt or (more) ineffective.

Funny sidenote - when Fangraphs put Gallardo into their Orioles' depth chart, the Orioles' WAR forecast went up by a whopping...drumroll please...0.2 WAR. His 1.6 WAR isn't projected to be much more valuable at all than what the collection of Wilson/Wright/Despaigne/Worley/Bundy is projected to accumulate over the innings that he'd take from them. Part of this is that signing him caused them to decrease the IP forecasts for Ubaldo and Gausman, which logically makes zero sense and is a problem with their depth chart system, but the general idea remains the same.

I spoke with a couple people on this who still believe it will become official, though maybe not today. They referenced other physicals that took multiple days to complete like some posters have mentioned here. The issue came up over an MRI but it was an issue that every pitcher has with regards to wear and tear on the shoulder like I said last night. The Orioles took notice to it, as they will give up the 14th pick (if they sign him before Fowler).

So from what I was told, just hang on for the ride (a common saying these last couple weeks).

I spoke with a couple people on this who still believe it will become official, though maybe not today. They referenced other physicals that took multiple days to complete like some posters have mentioned here. The issue came up over an MRI but it was an issue that every pitcher has with regards to wear and tear on the shoulder like I said last night. The Orioles took notice to it, as they will give up the 14th pick (if they sign him before Fowler).

So from what I was told, just hang on for the ride (a common saying these last couple weeks).

Whew, thank you very much, so the hoopola, is just a slow news day in baseball and the national guys need something to stir up.

Well it seems Fowler will be official first so there goes the 14th pick. Gallardo will now cost the 28th pick.

Whew, thank you very much, so the hoopola, is just a slow news day in baseball and the national guys need something to stir up.

I am not sure that is how this is going. The news outlets may be right and exaggerating it a bit due to the Orioles history. The Orioles reps can be down playing it, but I have not heard anyone say "this is definitely getting done". I appreciate his update and he has been spot on, but his update doesn't give me the warm fuzzy.

I am not sure that is how this is going. The news outlets may be right and exaggerating it a bit due to the Orioles history. The Orioles reps can be down playing it, but I have not heard anyone say "this is definitely getting done". I appreciate his update and he has been spot on, but his update doesn't give me the warm fuzzy.

Sorry, doing due diligence on medicals is just fine and I am just fine with that.

But, with the media says, the Orioles are trying to reschedule the deal, which to me is hoopla.

Input from posters like you are what bring extra value to an already great forum. Thanks for your time and effort.

Also, of all possible times, this is the worst possible time to criticize Angelos for being afraid to spend money. He's dropped nearly $300 million this offseason. Clearly he's not afraid to spend on healthy players. The only reason he'd be afraid to spend on Gallardo is if he isn't healthy.

No doubt! The other things people should remember is that when players fail the Orioles physicals, more times than not they break down shortly there after. I want Gallardo, but I don't want him breaking down halfway through the season of being ineffective after signing. Remember, this is a guy who didn't have a great second half last year. If the Orioles have major concerns then I understand where they are coming from.

Archived