Turning point of the spring for the O's.

wildcard

Perspective:

The Almighty Cubs are 1-6 and are losing today. Fowler is batting .100.

Yankees have won only 2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yankees lost Monday and Tuesday, 1-0 in both games. Bats come around, but having your pitchers show up is important.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The

And today we lose to a SS Phillies team, with about 1/2 of our regulars in the lineup and dominated by Phillies farmhands.

No way that a nine game losing streak isn't an indicator of the state of the team

At the very least we can see that our high level prospects are inferior, which I think most realize

and it's not just losing it's getting blown out of almost every game this spring

This team can't get on base, can't run the bases, can't catch a fly ball, and can't put pressure on the other teams defense because of what I expect will be the lowest number of balls in play

in the majors.

Yeah, we will probably go 0-162, or 0-1000 if you count our farm teams.

Let me ask you: do you believe our offense will be above average, average, or below average when it comes to scoring runs? And how important are 10 spring training games in making this assessment?

The turning point of the spring is April 4, when the games count. For me, the big takeaway from the last two days is Ubaldo and Gonzo pitched well and erased any big concerns about their rough first outings. Nothing else meant anything to me. I'd like to start winning some games just because I prefer to read about winning, but it's just not important.

Losing a few games because you are pitching the Jeff Beliveau's and batting the Audry Perez's of the world is one thing. Watching your projected starters get beat up on most days, your projected starters in the field not hit, and generally get beat down each and every day without tasting any semblance of winning is not a good idea if you ask me. At best our backups are getting beat by their back ups but at worse this team is showing some warts already.

I don't want to be reactionary but going 0-9-1 to start the spring is ridiculous. I can't think of one good news story so far this spring, but losing tends to be contagious. When the Orioles play well in the spring of late they play well during the season. Last year they were bad in the spring and they started off 15-19. If I'm Buck, I putting my starters out there and I'm pitching my A guys to get off this snide. I realize no one will care about this spring if the Orioles start winning on April 4th, but almost every concern we had coming into this season have been highlighted so far this spring.

At this point I just hope they can win a game before I go down there next week. I don't care how many sound bites you hear about no one caring who wins of loses in spring training. What I see are lot of poor starting pitching performances, stars that are not hitting at all, and a team that has shown no fight. There is no other way to spin this spring as anything other than brutal so far even you don't care about wins and losses.

The

Yeah, we will probably go 0-162, or 0-1000 if you count our farm teams.

Let me ask you: do you believe our offense will be above average, average, or below average when it comes to scoring runs? And how important are 10 spring training games in making this assessment?

I believe the team will be average in scoring runs but with a bad balance, the occasional double digit runs game with 5-7 game stretches

of scoring 3 or less. Good pitching (like that of the contenders) will completely shut this team down, and they will occcasionaly

take bad pitching to the woodshed. I'm not sure how you spend 200+ million dollars to assemble a team this bad.

And today we lose to a SS Phillies team, with about 1/2 of our regulars in the lineup and dominated by Phillies farmhands.

No way that a nine game losing streak isn't an indicator of the state of the team

At the very least we can see that our high level prospects are inferior, which I think most realize

and it's not just losing it's getting blown out of almost every game this spring

This team can't get on base, can't run the bases, can't catch a fly ball, and can't put pressure on the other teams defense because of what I expect will be the lowest number of balls in play

in the majors.

:laughlol:

Thank you Lord for the patience you have blessed me with.

I think they can and will improve over the course of the season, but there's little doubt that they have played rather poorly in the first 10 games of the season, as a team.

I just hope that by the last week of spring training they'll start getting it into their heads that it's important to win games instead of just feeling like they're out there to have fun and get some good swings in. A team without a passion to win ends up sub-.500 for the season.

I'm mildly concerned with the offense. The few times so far we've had our BIG offense playing they aren't hitting and scoring. But 26 days til OD. Plenty of ticktockticktock time left.

BTW, Chris Davis asked to go on today's (yesterday's...) road trip. Wanted more ABs.

I believe the team will be average in scoring runs but with a bad balance, the occasional double digit runs game with 5-7 game stretches

of scoring 3 or less. Good pitching (like that of the contenders) will completely shut this team down, and they will occcasionaly

take bad pitching to the woodshed. I'm not sure how you spend 200+ million dollars to assemble a team this bad.

I agree. Last year the team scored a lot of runs, but they scored fewer than 2 in 40 or so IIRC. It is tough for any pitcher to win with that type of support. Sometimes a little off field single that other teams give rather than going for the bomb. This team is also SLOW, but I hope smart base runners. Some pretty slow players like Cruz a couple years ago took the extra base by reading the ball off the bat well and hustling. He did get caught a couple of times, but overall it was a plus. I like low scoring games where players take what the other team gives you and can find other ways to win. IMO this team is too one dimensional offensively.

Archived