The Dan Era: Best and Worst Moves

Bahama O's Fan

Send him to the minors. I wrote an extensive piece that there were promising signs about Jake. That said, I think Buck and Dan ruined him. The TTP infatuation coupled with the anti-cutter mantra totally screwed with Jake. His issues have always been men on base. He was always in his own head because of Buck, IMHO.

Now, I love Buck. Infinitely more than Duquette. But Jake has been very vocal about change of sceneries and you can imagine why.

When did you write this piece?

If you wrote the piece just prior to the trade, or immediately following the trade, fine.

If you wrote the piece after Arrieta starting pitching well for the Cubs, then it is hindsight.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Send him to the minors. I wrote an extensive piece that there were promising signs about Jake. That said, I think Buck and Dan ruined him. The TTP infatuation coupled with the anti-cutter mantra totally screwed with Jake. His issues have always been men on base. He was always in his own head because of Buck, IMHO.

Now, I love Buck. Infinitely more than Duquette. But Jake has been very vocal about change of sceneries and you can imagine why.

If you wrote the piece just prior to the trade, or immediately following the trade, fine.

If you wrote the piece after Arrieta starting pitching well for the Cubs, then it is hindsight.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back, it's still a bit fuzzy.

It isn't hindsight if he wrote the piece immediately following the trade in July of 2013.

That is why I asked him when it was that he wrote it.

Hindsight is always 20/20, but looking back it's still a bit fuzzy.

It isn't hindsight if he wrote the piece immediately following the trade in July of 2013.

That is why I asked him when it was that he wrote it.

That is why I asked.

Thank you.

Can anyone point to anything in writing where they wanted to keep Arrieta at the time of the trade? In fact' date=' people were just saying we should DFA him, if I remember correctly[/quote']

I'm not allowed to say that Jake cost the ORioles the playoffs that season. But I always believed that he did.

Best moves have been the signings of Cruz, Miggy and Chen.

The Arietta trade has turned out very badly, but at the time it wasn't an unreasonable move. Arietta had no options left and had not established himself despite many opportunities.

My least favorite move is the Ryan Webb trade. Giving up a draft pick just to unload Ryan Webb's salary is a horrible cheapskate move. I'd be surprised if it was Dan's idea.

Jake Arrieta had ONE OPTION remaining at the time of the Trade. Upon getting him, the Cubs Optioned Him to Iowa. I do believe he received an extra option because of his stint on the 60 Day DL.

http://m.mlb.com/player/453562/jake-arrieta

Pedro Strop was without an Option.

Both had been completely ineffective in the AL East at the time of the trade. A starter was needed along with room on the Forty Man Roster at the time of the trade. Any player brought in to help the pitching staff was going to cause a roster crunch.

Some of the recent transactions need to go a bit further into the contracts or into the careers of the players involved.

Eduardo Rodriguez has already this spring had health issues.

The Davies trade still has not seen Davies get a Cy Young yet hence incomplete.

Most of the MacPhail deals can be looked at because of the time that has elapsed. Dan Duquette on the other hand has not had enough time to be evaluated in its entirety.

Chen

Davis

Assuming you mean Davis as "worst move" I think thats pretty unfair. I'm definitely not a big fan of that contract, but Davis could perform well enough to justify it, or the FO could continue to spend in large quantities. For me, as long as this signing doesn't preclude us from resigning Machado (and to lesser extents Schoop and Jones), I'll be ok with it.

Mostly, I just thinks its a little early to make that declaration.

Assuming you mean Davis as "worst move" I think thats pretty unfair. I'm definitely not a big fan of that contract, but Davis could perform well enough to justify it, or the FO could continue to spend in large quantities. For me, as long as this signing doesn't preclude us from resigning Machado (and to lesser extents Schoop and Jones), I'll be ok with it.

Mostly, I just thinks its a little early to make that declaration.

It would be pretty unprecedented for someone like Davis to justify the contract he signed.

That contract is going to be a rotting, stinking, albatross around the neck of this franchise.

Archived