Dan Duquette has given up 2 1st round draft picks...

LookitsPuck

That is how Boras operates that isn't something specific to the Orioles.

What? You think Boras said he would only negotiate with Angelos? And the O's agreed to that? Yes, Boras has negotiated with owners before (Arod in Texas comes to mind). And I'm sure he absolutely LOVES it because it means that he is one big step closer to the giant money pot/owners who think they are smarter than everybody else are usually not. But there is NO WAY that negotiating with the owner is a prerequisite for dealing with Boras. Any team that agreed to that would be dumb, dumb, dumb.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan traded Davies for Parra last year and we didn't even end up with a winning season.

The ideal, the dream, is to have continuing success.

I don't think Andy or Dan has shown that they can do that in Baltimore.

I'm on record as opposing the trade for Parra and was highly critical of the Toronto escapade, although I still suspect much of his behavior after the news broke was dictated by PA. I won't list every mistake I think Duquette's made, I'll just say I'm not a pure fanboy. I do think the jury is out on Duquette's ability to have continuing success in Baltimore and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer. The team's success over the last four seasons requires that IMO. AM's record in Baltimore - good and bad - speaks for itself.

Count me among those who are scratching their heads over how the current offseason has played out. One thing I refuse to do is go to the party, enjoy myself, then spend copious amounts of time afterward complaining about the cost. Overall, the Duquette/Showalter duo has been good for Orioles fans and I've enjoyed the ride.

We took away the pitch that made Arrieta a Cy Young winner and needlessly messed with his mechanics on what seemed to be a daily basis. Eduardo Rodriguez had a horrible year in Bowie before getting traded and turning into a top prospect because of adustments the Red Sox made. Davies, header, I need not continue. And if you don't think some pitchers would react adversely to being forced to throw across their body, you should head back to the shallow end of the pool where you can discuss how much better a pitcher is than the other because he has more wins.

It's gotten worse.

Haha, the shallow end of the pool? Perhaps that might be a good place for you to wade over so you can spout your "sky is falling," stuff to someone closer your age. They might be more receptive to it.

Arrietta was a head case with us. Everyone knew he was talented (including himself) but he couldn't get it together. One day he'd look like Cy Young, the next, Rick Vaughn. He ran out of opportunities with us, and anyone looking at the situation objectively would agree with that. EdRod was up and down. He looked great the season before he was traded (with great velo) and then the next he was so-so and appeared unmotivated. Perhaps that's because our system was trying to develop with him but neither you nor I know that. He has been solid with Boston but he surely isn't a world beater. At the end of the day, we traded him for a shot at the World Series...big deal. Davies is the same guy in MIL that he was with us. His ceiling is Mike Leake. He'd surely help our ridiculously thin rotation at the moment but I don't think the O's had any development issues with him to speak of

He's completely destroyed our pitching development. I don't know how an "established" major league executive can actually think forcing unnecessary changes on pitchers, taking away their best pitches, and making every single pitcher have the same selection of pitches is a good philosophy.

If any one person is responsible for this and I doubt there is, it would be Buck not DD.

If any one person is responsible for this and I doubt there is, it would be Buck not DD.

Jake Arrieta claims it was Rick Adair.

Over the two calendar years under Adair, Arrieta went 6–16 with a 6.30 ERA. “There were so many things in Baltimore not many people know about,” Arrieta says. “I had struggles with my pitching coach. A lot of guys did. Three or four guys—Tillman, Matusz, [Zach] Britton—were just really uncomfortable in their own skins at the time, trying to be the guys they weren’t. You can attest how difficult it is to try to reinvent your mechanics against the best competition in the world.

http://www.si.com/mlb/2016/03/28/jake-arrieta-chicago-cubs-profile

I'm on record as opposing the trade for Parra and was highly critical of the Toronto escapade, although I still suspect much of his behavior after the news broke was dictated by PA. I won't list every mistake I think Duquette's made, I'll just say I'm not a pure fanboy. I do think the jury is out on Duquette's ability to have continuing success in Baltimore and I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt for a little while longer. The team's success over the last four seasons requires that IMO. AM's record in Baltimore - good and bad - speaks for itself.

Count me among those who are scratching their heads over how the current offseason has played out. One thing I refuse to do is go to the party, enjoy myself, then spend copious amounts of time afterward complaining about the cost. Overall, the Duquette/Showalter duo has been good for Orioles fans and I've enjoyed the ride.

. Good post. I don't agree with everything DD does especially trading away pitching, but I sure have enjoyed the team going to the playoffs again.

Archived