ESPN 2016 Preseason Power Rankings: Orioles @ #23

OFFNY

Despite sweeping the #1 team in the AL, I'm not holding my breath that the Orioles will be ranked ahead of the Indians. :angryfire:

Irrationally, nothing boils my blood more than power rankings. It's stupid how worked up I get over these things...

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite sweeping the #1 team in the AL, I'm not holding my breath that the Orioles will be ranked ahead of the Indians. :angryfire:

Irrationally, nothing boils my blood more than power rankings. It's stupid how worked up I get over these things...

These things can be so ridiculous. I've come to the conclusion that these rankings are subjective beauty contests and of no more relevance than who looks good in a bathing suit vs who just juggled a China set while riding a unicycle. As long as Boston continues to look up at the Orioles in the AL East, that's the measuring stick I'll use and the only one that counts.

Because it's ridiculous to think that Cleveland is the 4th best team.

Cleveland has the 4th best expected record and the fifth highest combined WAR. 5th is BaseRuns as well.

We have much different definitions of "ridiculous" I guess.

Cleveland has the 4th best expected record and the fifth highest combined WAR. 5th is BaseRuns as well.

We have much different definitions of "ridiculous" I guess.

Well, the #6 team just bested the #4 team 15-6 over three games, and has bested them 5 times out of 6 this year, if I'm not mistaken. I'm glad they don't give playoff berths out based on expected wins, WAR, or anything other than, you know, actually winning.

A #6 ranking seems hard to justify. The Orioles have the best record in the AL. They lead the AL East which has the best winning pct in MLB. The AL has a .546 record against the NL. One could argue the Orioles are best team right now.

And they are 5-13 vs AL East teams not from Tampa

Well surely that is more indicative of their talent than the much larger samples available, right?

Well, the #6 team just bested the #4 team 15-6 over three games, and has bested them 5 times out of 6 this year, if I'm not mistaken. I'm glad they don't give playoff berths out based on expected wins, WAR, or anything other than, you know, actually winning.

Yeah, and we got swept by the Yankees and the Mariners.

And no one is arguing that the other measures are better at determining you record than your record. They are better at predicting your future record though, AKA how good you are? If you want to just rank teams by record, then you should just never click on a power poll ever again. That's not their goal.

A #6 ranking seems hard to justify. The Orioles have the best record in the AL. They lead the AL East which has the best winning pct in MLB. The AL has a .546 record against the NL. One could argue the Orioles are best team right now.

These rankings are not records. They are trying to say how good a team is. Records can be misleading, so relying on indicators that have proven themselves better at predicting how good a team performs going forward just seems like common sense, no?

If your argument is, "we have a better record" then you don't want to look at power polls. That's what standings are for.

Well surely that is more indicative of their talent than the much larger samples available, right?

Yeah, and we got swept by the Yankees and the Mariners.

And no one is arguing that the other measures are better at determining you record than your record. They are better at predicting your future record though, AKA how good you are? If you want to just rank teams by record, then you should just never click on a power poll ever again. That's not their goal.

These rankings are not records. They are trying to say how good a team is. Records can be misleading, so relying on indicators that have proven themselves better at predicting how good a team performs going forward just seems like common sense, no?

If your argument is, "we have a better record" then you don't want to look at power polls. That's what standings are for.

When were we swept by the Yankees?

We have 9 games left against the Red Sox. Plenty of time to change those power rankings. I never saw any reason to be concerned about power rankings. This isn't college football we will decide our own destiny. Rankings are meaningless.

Archived