Observations from Spring Training

Answerman

Hey Friends...forgive the long post, but I spent the past week in Sarasota attending five games and thought I'd share my observations (in no particular order).

- Trumbo does not have natural outfielder instincts, but will not embarrass himself out there. Better speed than I would have expected (he is a mountain of a man) and a much better arm. He hits everything hard. Even his outs are loud outs.

- Manny concerns me. He definitely has some amount of knucklehead in him. His ego appears to get bigger each year. I saw firsthand his ejection by a minor league umpire. It was well-deserved. Hall of Fame talent with a minor league brain. I'm sure he'll continue to be a great player for us - his ability is off the charts - but if it's my money, I would be leery of giving him a $300M contract.

- Avery is getting some love over the past couple days, but even before that he surprised me with his plate appearances. He makes nice contact. Not sure I want him on the roster, but I definitely want him to bat lead off in Norfolk and see if he tears it up.

- I never saw Weiters bat right-handed, but as a lefty he was dialed in. Looked really comfortable. I love Joseph, but there is a big difference between these two and I hope we can sign him long-term.

- Schoop is a beast. The only question is will be make the all-star team this year or next.

- We struck gold in Rickard. I realize that sounds bandwagonish, but I also watched him play last year for Durham. I do not believe that his Spring success was a fluke. Sure, he'll have cold spells, but I think we found a nugget for many years to come. Whenever we have something good happening offensively, he seems to be in the middle of it.

- Davis was pretty invisible this Spring (and I'm a big fan).

- I like Pedro Alvarez. Dude is thick. Swings with authority.

- Loved to see bunts against the shift. Weiters and Alvarez got singles on consecutive nights. I wish Davis would try it. Just making an effort should keep the defense honest.

- Reimold is a very similar player to Trumbo.

- Not sure how I feel about Adam batting second. Not necessarily opposed to it, just seems like an odd fit.

- Bundy looked great. His pitches were tight. He was in total control of the game when on the mound.

- I wouldn't pay Worley the $2.6 - thought Roe and Phillips looked more effective.

- I'm definitely cool with Wilson as our fifth starter.

- All of our starting pitchers scare me. Not one gives me the confidence I used to feel when Mussina was here (and it is really telling that I have to go that far back to find an example!).

- Givens and Britton are locked and loaded. Love those guys.

- O'Day was bad early in the Spring, but when I saw him he looked pretty good. He's a gamer.

- Brach scares me a little.

- Drake is clearly one of our eight best relief pitchers. Not sure why he isn't in Baltimore. He just gets it done.

- As a group, our starting pitchers are low on velocity. Strikeouts are rare. I'm thankful for our defense.

- We will lead the league in defensive double plays this year...our guys are great at turning them AND we always seem to put the leadoff guy on base.

- Watch out for Garabez Rosa. Not sure what his future is in this organization, but he's got skills. I hope he rips it up in Norfolk this year. Could be a nice trade chip.

I think that's about it. Just one man's vista. Thanks for reading. Your thoughts?

Thanks for sharing this. I'm very encouraged that Wieters seems to be hitting well batting left handed. He has always been stronger from the other side. If he can rock from both sides, look out!

Vs RHP 741 OPS

Vs LHP 564 OPS

It isn't uncommon for switch hitters to alternate the side in which they have the most success.

Enjoyed your observations. One thing I gotta get you on is that Manny is still just 23 years old. Just because the guy is awesome at baseball doesn't mean he's not a young man. You can't expect the guy to be stoic like Jeter or Cal at 23. At least he has passion. How many threads were there in the lean years about if the clubhouse had a leader or enough passion?

Enjoy Wieters this year. Boras is going to want a 5 year contract for him and there is no way the O's are doing that for a 30/31 year old catcher.

But if he puts up that season we have been waiting all this time for, we may get that draft pick after all.

Enjoyed your observations. One thing I gotta get you on is that Manny is still just 23 years old. Just because the guy is awesome at baseball doesn't mean he's not a young man. You can't expect the guy to be stoic like Jeter or Cal at 23. At least he has passion. How many threads were there in the lean years about if the clubhouse had a leader or enough passion?

Manny looks like he has added some muscle over the winter.

I think his ties with Alex Rodriguez should not be ignored here. A-Rod is by many accounts a narcissist and I can definitely imagine him taking on the sensei role.

I think his ties with Alex Rodriguez should not be ignored here. A-Rod is by many accounts a narcissist and I can definitely imagine him taking on the sensei role.

Arod doesn't have a history of acting up on the field.

And remember Cal Jr was a mentor to Arod.

Arod doesn't have a history of acting up on the field.

And remember Cal Jr was a mentor to Arod.

Also of note, Rodriguez was worth 71.4 rWAR over the ten years he signed with the Rangers for (2001-2010). You live with Manny's personality if he gives you 70 WAR over the next ten years.

Let me also say that the OP said "a bit of knucklehead in him", not "he is a knucklehead". Manny is still largely likable as far as I know -- we're not dealing with Jon Papelbon here.

Archived